Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > Biblio-Maniacs and PIles of Books

Biblio-Maniacs and PIles of Books - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 11th, 2009 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: This weekend, February 8, 2008, CBS Sunday Morning ran a segment about the many book stores, especially used book stores in Paris. It started with a man whose home and halls are lined with piles and piles of books, to the etxent that one can hardly pass among the piles.

It goes on to discuss the many people in Paris who specialize in collecting any and all books imaginable, even ones once considered worthless such as old dime novels. It seems that even though money can be made collecting and selling specialty books for what seems like obscene amounts of money if the right buyer can be found, the pople who choose this line of work share a trait in ocmmon. They are "biblio-maniacs." In simpler terms they are crazy about books even to the extent that they own far more books than they can hope to read. 

Suddenly I found myself learning about folks with whom I can relate. These are folks just like I am, with piles of beloved books. I can't bring myself to sell my books, but I do undertsand the love these people have.

I've given myself another name, however. I call myself a book pile-ist. (Not sure what the correct spelling of my new name might be.) While I do love my books, I usually hate my book piles and long for a large, cozy library lined with shelves where I can lovingly place my books  in some semblence of organization. But for now, the ever growing book plies remain.

It was fun to recognize versions of myself there in Paris plying their trade. I wonder how many rare Civil War books they have.

I believe Susan Sweet here has used the term bookaholic, another fitting term. There are a lot of us here at CWI. CBS Sunday Morning has shown how many more of us there are out there in the world.

all three of those words describe me to a tee. i have recently been doing a deep cleaning in my room and have been getting rid of tons of stuff to make room for more books. i actually have shelves in my room full of Lucille Ball dolls, and barbies, and some from the Grease movie and The Addams family. i packed every one of em up and put em in a tote, and put it in my closet so i could take some of the stacks of books off the floor and put em up there.

amazingly when going thru my books, i found that most of my books are history books.  i have exactly 20 nonfiction books,  which include the Harry Potter series (7 books) the Charlie Bone series (6 books) some of a series called Twiches (6 books, there are 11 all together) and the first book in the Twilight series.

Posted: Wed Feb 11th, 2009 12:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

susansweet3 wrote: I think we are Sisters of the Book!!!!

That would make a great movie.!

The Sisterhood of the Civil War Book Piles.

Last edited on Wed Feb 11th, 2009 12:35 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Wed Feb 11th, 2009 06:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I like the title Fan.  I think it would be a great movie.  We were talking at book discussion at the Drum about all of us being biblio maniacs with piles of books.  How we love the smell of them and the feel of the pages.  I mentioned to them my friend was getting a Kindle and he said Oh no!!! you can interact with plastic like you can with a real book.  I agreed. 

Was a great evening with fellow biblio maniacs. 

Susan

Posted: Thu Feb 12th, 2009 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Everytime I log onto Amazon, I see the Kindle, and think,"No pages? No covers? No well-thumbed passages and frayed edges? Nope, not for me!" I used to wonder what I'd use an iPod for, and now that I have one, well, I'm kinda attached to it. But a Kindle--nope! Curl up with a good. . . Kindle???

Susan and Fan, that Sisterhood sounds like a good one.  Room for one more??

Pam

Posted: Thu Feb 12th, 2009 12:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Always room for more, Pam.  All that is required is a love of books and book piles. I think you are amply qualified.:)

Posted: Thu Feb 12th, 2009 03:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Pam you fit the profile of course you can join.  I was just talking to Marie on the phone and she wants to be a part too.  I think the onl requirement is over 100 books or more.  Can't be a real bilio maniac unless you have over 100 books I would think. At that that is a small collection. lol. 

I gave away many of my teaching books when I retired .  Now saying that you would not believe how many children's books I still have.  Some I just can't part with.  Especially the ones given to me by the children.  Somewhere along the line it became a tradition to sign the book and put a picture of yourself in the book.  The moms would help their child .  I had started by having the children  sign their name, and then I put their school picture in the book.  Soon the kids started having their mom help them sign the book and write something.  Then the moms took a picture and put it in the book.  One I love is the kid wrote" I give you this book."   

There was the one kid that gave me a copy of the newest Shel Sliverstein to ransom her own copy which I kept teasing I was going to keep.  She went home and had her mother buy a new copy and take her picture holding it .  It said Here is your own copy so I can get mine back.  lol.

Susan

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 01:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Count me in on the Sisterhood...In packing to move I have over 35 boxes of books & 9 bookcases... Paula

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 01:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

I've been interested in this discussion of how many books everyone has as I am also one of those bookaholics. There was a time when I actually had to take the long way from point A to point B so I would not go past a library. Our home also has several full bookcases as well as many boxes stored in the attic. My interests besides the CW are history, politics, biography and mystery. Last summer I actually gave away over 200 mystery paperbacks to several of my bookaholic friends. Of course, the piles are again beginning to accumulate. Susan, you probably have us all beat, and I would love to see your Dick and Jane books as I remember those very well

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 02:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I am trying to build a data base on my books so I know what I have .  I made a different data base for each subject I am interested in.  I am way far away from finishing the data base but so far I have entered

208  in American History plus 15 more Lewis and Clark

308 in Civil War

155 mysteries and that doesn't include the five or six boxes sitting here to give away. Also all the ones that are not yet on the data base.  I have given away already most of my mysteries before I started the data base

68 in literature which is a a catatgory I have not really worked on yet

53 Women's studies

300 plus that are in mini catagories  trains, art, music etc.

world history haven't begun to catalog all my medieval and Elizabethan history I haven't even touched yet.  Nor all my art books .  agghhhhhh I am addicted. 

Then there is my primers preprimers and other text book collection including two huge preprimer easel books that were used in the early 50's

I gave to the high school last year 100 books on theatre arts including plays and other materials . 

I really need to get the rest of the collection cataloged but oh well. 

Fan , I love my collection of Dick and Jane.  The nice thing is I quietly collected them over the years and never paid more than a few dollars for them.  I looked on ebay once and choked.  I use to visit second hand bookstores when I traveled to check out the shelves for used old text .  There is one book I don't have that I wished I did.  It was the fourth grade California history text I used when I was a kid.  At the begining of each chapter it had a full page print of a famous iccidents in California history.  I loved the one of Jedidiah Smith walking up to San Gabriel Mission .  The First man from the Eastern United States in California .   There was a great one of the Ranchos too .   I can see them in my head as easy now as when I was a kid.

Susan

Most of the books I have read except the Civil War books that I have started collecting where I can and now am working though.

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 02:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

So sad to say that the "Dick and Jane" books have nothing but unhappy memories for me of the four-room school house I attended with two grades to a room and the antique-style two seat desks we had. That all could have been all right, but I had a classic battle axe of a teacher who terrified me and was given to splintering a paddle on the butts of boys she disliked. Every long hour of every school day I sat in dread that she would choose me for that "honor."

It is a miracle I came to love reading so much. It is a case of loving to read in spite of, not because of, my reading teacher. She did sucessfully inspire a life-long dislike for math, though.

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

How very sad , Fan.  I have a great first grade teacher .  Not the prettiest that did all the cute name tags and everything but still a great teacher.  We did fun things in class and she taught me to read. 

I suspect I was reading of sorts before that .  My parents had placed books in my hand since I was in the crib.  We lived in a two bedroom home for my first few years  with my grandparents in one room and my brother, mom and dad and me in the other.  Mom says she always gave us books to "read" when we went to bed the same as she and daddy did.  I don't think my dad ever went to bed without a book to read before he slept.  It was the only time he had to read during the long days he had.

My aunt had given me the golden book dictionary for Christmas in Kindergarten.  It had the words next to the picture . It also had pages that had pictures of things like clothes with the name next to each piece of clothing.  I studied and studied that book.  I still have the book in the bookcase , the spine taped together with some kind of duct tape my mother put on it when the spine broke.

When the teacher, Mrs. Barnes said we were going to learn to read I was , "Okay now let's get this going ."  We were divided into the reading groups. and started with a big book on an easel.  Page one said Dick, then Jane , Then Dick and Jane and so on though the book til we knew the characters and the words.  I learned to read during the period of look say method.  I spend hours drawing boxes around the shape of the words to learn to reconized them. 

I don't remember any phonics til a workbook in third grade.  Then it had to do with syllables and where the accents went on the words.  Spend hours that year dividing words into syllables and putting the accent marks and short and long vowel marks on words .  Let me tell you I hated doing that.  By the way I was always a poor speller and still am .  Thank heaven for spell check.

We had a car that year that my mom could use so we also went to the library and got a library card.  From then on we went once a week .  I would come home with an arm load and read all week. 

I  discovered Lois Lenski somewhere along the line in first grade, her Mr. Small books, then later her books about young people around the United States.  I now own a set of her books that our school library was obsoleting . I liberated them.  Books like Judy's Journey,Cotton in My Sack,and  Paraire School which I read three times ,

I found Nancy Drew along the line.  My friends and I would trade them back and forth.  There was also a second hand bookstore in town.  We would beg mother to take us there .  I added not only Nancy Drew books to the growing collection of books but other finds along the way.  Mom rarely said no to a book.  In junior high my ninth grade English teacher introduced us to Tab books a scholastic book club. I would mark all the books I wanted and again Mom would rarely say no.  She did finally put a limit on the amount of money but still I was in heaven books now came to me.  By the time I was in high school one wall in my bedroom was covered with bookcases. 

When I taught I made sure my first graders got the advantage of Scholastic book clubs and several other book clubs that had monthly flyers.  I am sure some parents hated the day the flyers came home.  I was one of the worst offenders though.  I built my classroom library from buying those books.  When I retired I gave away many to the kids, donated many more to a school in inner city Long Beach and still have many in my personal library .  I still am weeding some out, sending them to my niece in Maryland for her classroom.

I admit it I am a biblio maniac  but truth be told I am the daughter of two biblio maniacs and the sister of another one .

Susan

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 02:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

My Mother taught me to love books at a very early age. Some of my best childhood memories are of sitting in her lap as she read to me from the bible. When I was about Three she started taking me to the library and letting me pick out books. Then we would go home and read them together...by the time I entered Elementary school I was already reading real books while others were Dick and Jane-ing it. By third grade I was reading/comprehending at a college freshman level.Through the years reading has been my ace in the hole when it comes to amassing knowledge rapidly on a given subject. Reading has entertained, sustained, consoled, and enlightened me throughout my entire life thanks to a mom who took the time to share the love of reading with her son.

My collection at this time numbers an estimated 400 books of assorted categories such as history(ancient to present day), sci-fi novels, horror novels, biographies, musical subjects, classics etc.
My main problem is my inability to trade or sell a book once I've read it.....which would explain the old "Charlie Brown" collections I found in a box the other day LOL.

I also can't seem to rid myself of certain historical magazine back issues either:D

Last edited on Tue Feb 24th, 2009 02:13 am by Captain Crow

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 05:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I too got my love of books and reading from my mother, and at a very early age. I've never taken the time to actually count my books, but let me give an idea of why I think of my house as being more like a library. Downstairs, between the living room and dining room are three 3-tiered bookcases...filled with Civil War books. One case is all "Eastern Theater" books, and the other (naturally), the "Western Theater." Those are in the living room. In the dining room is Mom's "Longstreet Shrine" -- her books on Old Pete (who my Jack Russel is also named for), along with numerous trivia and basic reference books, above which hangs a print of Longstreet we bought her for Christmas one year.

Upstairs, in the hallway, is another bookcase -- also filled with Civil War books, fiction and non-fiction. In my bedroom, I have several stacks of books covering various genres -- romance (historicals, Regency and paranormal -- hey, what's wrong with a sexy vampire now and then?), mysteries (Sister Fidelma series, Benjamin January series, and others), and a hutch-style headboard that is filled with books, books, and more books. My private stock of Arthurian fiction and non-fiction, Michael Moorcock fantasies, and my favorite Civil War/sci-fi books, the Lost Regiment series by William Fortchen.

In the computer room / library, there are 6 more bookcases. Books in here include many and varied history books (Medieval history, Wars of the Roses, and my Richard III collection), my Sherlock Holmes collection, how-to and reference books, all my volumes pertaining to genealogy, and all my notebooks and other books related by my own Civil War specialty -- the 14th Ohio Volunteer Infantry and Battery H (Huntington's Battery), 1st Ohio Light Artillery.

Biblio-maniac? Yeah, I guess I resemble that! :)

And, oh yeah -- who the heck has the will power to get rid of a book, even if it's one you've read?

Last edited on Tue Feb 24th, 2009 05:18 am by kj3553

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 05:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I am getting rid of mysteries and some other fiction as I don't have room for my Civil war books.  My house is over flowing with books and I have run out of room.  Wednesday I am having dinner with a young woman I have known since before she was born.  I also taught her in first grade.  She calls me Auntie Sue.  She is a high school English teacher and theatre arts is another interest of hers.  I took her to her first Shakespeare when she was 13.  I am giving her about three or four bags of literature books .  A book in the hand is worth two on the shelf. 

Besides all my adult books I have still a huge collection of children's books.  I was looking at some of them today .  I can't give those away.  Some have writing in the front of the book such as the one that says I give you this book.  My students use to give me books for gifts . 

Sounds like you are a sister of the book all right .

Susan

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 06:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

Thank you. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my bookish obsession!

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 06:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

We are out here, with our books .  You are not alone .

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 02:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Our motto is, as the T-shirt I bought Susan last Christmas says,

"Lead me not into temptation, especially bookstores."

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Problem is I have an older t shirt that reads Book Woman on it . Have the tote bag to match also. 

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

My favorite t-shirt (a teensy-weensy too tight these days, but I keep it anyway) is one with a quote by Erasmus, something about if I have money I buy books, and if there's any left over, I buy food and clothes.

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Oh I like that one.  I also have Soo many books, so little time.  I also have I do what I teach . . . I read.

I also have a Powell's bookstore t shirt from Portland Oregon.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I went to Powell's .  It is one of the world's largest bookstores. 

It was so funny .  My friend and I went there when I was visiting him.  We had to park on the top floor of the parking structure.  Four flights up and no  elevator .  As we were headed down he said to me if you buy it , you carry it  

Well as we headed back to the car I was carrying my tote bag I bought that was full of books and a t shirt .  I started up the stairs dragging the tote.  He said wait here . I will go get the car.  Such a sweetie.

I had gone into the store and sat down on the floor in front of the mystery section.  At that time I was not reading as much nonfiction as I was mysteries. 

Current time is 03:38 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > Biblio-Maniacs and PIles of Books

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4479 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 28 queries executed.