Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > So I Have a Couple of Free Books Laying Around...

So I Have a Couple of Free Books Laying Around... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
Poll
What Type of Giveaway Contest Should I Have?

View Results

Vote 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 10th, 2009 07:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

I sometimes get an extra copy of a book I have reviewed from publishers.  I have several such books laying around right now, including Earl Hess' new book The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat.  My idea is to have some sort of giveaway at my Civil War blog TOCWOC where the winner gets a free new book in perfect condition, no strings attached. 

Sooo, my question is, what type of giveaway would you want to see, and would you even participate?  Please feel free to suggest other ideas as well, since I plan to have several contests.

First option: I would ask a question in a blog entry at TOCWOC, and readers would turn in an answer.  I used this tack last time I had a contest, where I asked the question, "What are the five most important books you have read on the Civil War? Why is each important?" and asked readers to limit responses to 1000 words or less.  The responses would be read by me and a winner would be declared.  I would have numerous interesting reposnes which could be then used as blog entries and possibly find a new blogger or two for TOCWOC, which is after all a group blog.  The negative portion for you and I is that respones might be limited because more work needs to be done to enter the contest.

Second Option: Bloggers love to have people reading their blog entries.  There is no easier way to do so than by getting said blog entries emailed directly to subscribers' inboxes.  This idea would take all new email RSS feed subscribers from one date to another (say a month), drop their names in a hat, and pull a random winner.  I would win by having increased readership.  You would be entered into a drawing for a mint condition new book while having to do very little to enter the contest.

Third option: I would post a blog entry announcing the contest.  Readers would simply comment at the end of the entry, with all those commenting being entered to win the book after a set time.  This one is easy for you guys, but really doesn't do much for me because I get neither increased exposure via RSS feed or any possbile new blog entries.  Still, I would entertain the thought because it would get more people around the web to come check out the site.  If I write well enough, some of you might just want to stick around! :)

Fourth option: This is what you would check if you would do something else.  Let me know if you have other interesting ideas which YOU would want to do in order to win a free book.

Fifth option: Mark this if you would have no interest in joining such a contest under any circumstances.

Posted: Tue Feb 10th, 2009 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I think your second option would be he most effective and, frankly, mutually profitable method of giving away spares. I'm hoping to pick up the excellent work mentioned by Mr Hess as soon as I have a few $ to spare. But right now I expect I'll be borrowing t from inter-library loan as soon as I'm off these cursed meds.

Current time is 04:47 am
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > So I Have a Couple of Free Books Laying Around...

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1433 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 30 queries executed.