Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Other History > *RARE* WW1 uncrimped Edge british issued helmet *But with the 36th "Texas" Division insign

*RARE* WW1 uncrimped Edge british issued helmet *But with the 36th "Texas" Division insign - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 10th, 2009 08:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
navycut81

Mana: 

Allright this is what I know so far.    Apparently from my research so far, this helmet is an early ww1 era british helmet.  

The war office started development of two prototypes:   the first model Type A and the second model, Type B.

I believe I have a Type B helmet based on the rim mesurements. A Type A helmet had a rim that mesured 50mm at the sides and 40 mm at the front.

Where as my helmet has a rim mesuring 25 mm at the front and back and 35 mm at the sides. Consistent with the Type B helmet design.

I guess the question im asking is if anyone has any information about the insignia painted on the front( if im correct that its the  36th "Texas" Division).

Also any other information on the helmet, I was told it was very rare to have "this type of helmet" with an American insignia painted on it.   Because of the fact that it was an early prototype used mainly by British Forces in france and that there was only a limited amount of American soldiers in France at that period of the war.  Im not very sure if im correct on this or not.

Here is a pictures of the helmet

And also here is the link to the page were I cited all the information I have on the helmet  so far.

http://www.greatwarcollection.nl/Html/Brodie.html

If any one has any questions about the helmet or want any other pictures of it just let me know.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my post

Attachment: ww1 insigna.jpg (Downloaded 19 times)

Posted: Wed Feb 11th, 2009 04:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

That is indeed the 36th Division crest that they use even until today the T for Texas and the Arrowhead for Oklahoma, although the Okies got kicked out after WW1.  Your helmet was used after 1917 because the division was called the 15th before July 1917.  The 36th went away after WW2 but was recently reactivated from the 49th AD and remains an all National Guard Texas unit.

Posted: Wed Feb 11th, 2009 05:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
navycut81

Mana: 

Thank you very much Sir for your help.   Im slowly putting together the story behind the helmet. 

I'll take all the information anybody has that will help me.   Thanks again everyone.

Matt

From Sudbury Ontario Canada 

Current time is 12:23 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Other History > *RARE* WW1 uncrimped Edge british issued helmet *But with the 36th "Texas" Division insign

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3902 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.