Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 17th, 2009 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

Though there are a few movies based on Civil War battles I feel there are many more battles that would as interesting or even more interesting than movies like "Gettysburg" or "Glory". One of battles I think should be made into a movie is the Fort Pillow massacre, but this would surely be a bloody and gory movie. A campaign I think would be great made into a movie would be the Petersburg Campaign. Are there any Civil War battles out there that you think would be great made into movies?  

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Tue Feb 17th, 2009 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Franklin

Posted: Tue Feb 17th, 2009 10:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

2nd Cabin Creek

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Franklin is an excellent choice. I would also nominate Cedar Creek and Atlanta; they have plenty of drama for Hollywood.  Antietam and Ringgold Gap would be fascinating as well.

Why Fort Pillow?

Last edited on Wed Feb 18th, 2009 12:06 am by The Iron Duke

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

I read a book on it by Harry Turtledove called "Fort Pillow" a few years ago, though I can't remember it very well, it was a great story. I think Fort Pillow is interesting because it is just like Wake Island in WWII. The men who fought in these two battles  would regret not surrendering or even regret surrendering and their forces would pay in lives.

Last edited on Wed Feb 18th, 2009 01:23 am by 1861-65

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i agree completely 1861-65. i t hink Fort Pillow should be made into a movie, be it gory or not. it would be interesting

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
tr1strev

Mana: 

The siege of Vicksburg.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 05:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Second Manassas

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 01:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Ft. Pillow would be good, as it is a simple battle that Hollywood would'nt have too worry about as many details/intricacies as other battles.

I just finished the Tutrtledove Ft. Pillow book and thought it was rubbish. The dialoge was lousy and full of too many cliches. At one point, he describes how to load and fire a canon, and he got it wrong....The best novel I read about Ft Pillow is The Falling Hills.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 08:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
John Bell

Mana: 

I think Antietam would be excellent material for a movie. Also, as a native Texian, it would be neat to see a movie about the Battle of Sabine Pass in 1863.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 10:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Civil War Guy

Mana: 

Stonewall's valley campaign of 62' leadin right into Second Bull Run and then finally Antietem

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I'd like to see Cedar Creek on film. I think there's a lot of cinematic potential there, with Early's original success and then his loss of it because it was "glory enough for one day." And Sheridan's ride to the battle and the victory, which got him his fame. Action, a couple twists in the plot. The only thing missing is the romance--anyone know of any at Cedar Creek??

Pam

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 01:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

General Phill Sheridans Shenandoah Valley Campaign would make for an interesting mini series

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 02:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Pam,

The romance at Cedar Creek would be the death of Dodson Ramseur very soon after finding out that his wife has delivered their baby. And then Custer comes to his deathbed to be with him.

Last edited on Thu Feb 19th, 2009 02:07 am by The Iron Duke

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 01:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

There are several topics that could be great movies. One, a movie based on the non-fiction book "Stealing the General" which is the "un-Disney/un-Fess Parker" version of the "Great Train Robbery".

Another good one would be a movie based on the search for and death of John Wilkes Booth.

Another would be the battle of the Merrimac and Monitor.

Another would be a fictionalized account of some Southern swashbuckling embargo runner sea captain and the Yankee captain who vows to catch him. I hope this would be more adventure suspense than comedy of errors.

Yet another would be a fiction-based-on fact story of the explosion and sinking of the SS Sultana.

For a battle movie, Chickamauga would be fascinating as would Kennesaw Mountain.

I'd love to see a drama based on Jefferson and Varina Davis's flight and eventual capture as the Confederacy collpases around them. For drama the burning of Richmond should be included. This could be sympathetic portrayal, especially of Varina.

The daring escapade of the slave Robert Smalls who with some buddies commandeered a Confederate ship and sailed it to Federate hands. Smalls eventually became a captain in the US Navy. What a great movie his life would be!

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 02:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I would like to see a movie about either Shiloh or Fredericksburg.

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 02:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Stealing the General would be a great film if they follow that book.  A movie about Varina would also be interesting.

I would also like to see a movie made about Stand Waite , the Cherokee Chief who was a Confederate General , one of the last to surrender. 

Posted: Sat Feb 21st, 2009 07:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

I have always loved "the General" topic, including the Disnery version.

As a Worden cousin, I will always vote for Monitor and Merrimac. The background story is extremely good, how Welles, Ericsson, the businessmen, and Lincoln, etc. all got the game afoot. Worden's role at Ft. Pickens and imprisonment has been overlooked. Had he not been imprisoned, he probably would not have gotten that command.

But overall, it's difficult to do successful war movies as the outcomes are generally known, hence begging the question: where is the suspense? But if there is a good subplot, as in "Saving Private Ryan" or substories in a larger context, or an interesting, intriguing backdrop to the main battle, it'll work as in "Gettysburg" and "Glory."

But we women have been waiting for 20 years for a movie on a CW woman soldier. Producer friends are now trying to raise funds for an Anna Ella Carroll documentary, as her story has all the elements, with a lot of Lincoln lore. Or someone could do a composite character as I did with my fictional "Nell" scout. Since about 300 women soliders have been documented, there'd be a lot of material to work with.

CKL

Posted: Sat Feb 21st, 2009 10:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Five Forks.

Intrigue - Confederate commanders at a fish bake drinking whiskey and eating fish when the battle begins.

Injustice - Sheridan sacks G.K. Warren after his successful flanking movement.

Heroism - Warren and Sheridan personally leading charges.

Justice - Arrogant Custer meets his match.

Great ending.  Lee sacks Picket and then sees him milling around and says:  "What is this man still doing with the Army?"

Posted: Sat Feb 21st, 2009 01:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Tragic Ending: The Army of Tennessee at Franklin.

Current time is 07:45 amPage:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4371 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.