Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 01:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
HankC

Mana: 

I have 2 candidates:

1) a war-bio of Grant, from Galena to Appomattox, and,

2) anything using Cleburne's resigned and prophetic words: 'it would be worth dying to be buried in such a beautiful spot' and 'come, Govan, if we are to die today, let us die like men'...

HankC

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 05:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I always thought that the whole business of the digging of the tunnel and the Battle of the Crater would make a great movie. There'd be lots of suspense as the Pennsylvanians dig the tunnel. Then there's all the political maneuvering as to which units would lead the attack, and -- of course -- Ferraro and what's his name in the bombproof, getting drunk while their men are being mowed down. There's a great cinematic story here.

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 07:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ole

Mana: 

What an absolutely super idea! The drama surrounding the crater would stir me to actually go to a movie instead of waiting until it comes out as a rental.

It has everything but gratuitous cheesecake!

Ole

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 09:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Ole and kj3553, the Crater is one of my favorite battles. Did you folks know that the opening sequence of the movie "Cold Mountain" is a reenactment of that very battle?

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 10:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
ole

Mana: 

Yeah, Fan. Was aware of that.

I liked kj's suggestion because the subject is small enough to be of budgetary interest. And the story itself needs no invention. The cast needn't be large and none need box-office importance. Only one scene (hopefully a lengthy one) requires extras, and those extras would be re-enactors who would cheerfully absorb their own expenses just to be in the movie. (Well, maybe they'd expect lunch.)

There'd be the situation, the idea, the proposal, the selling of the proposal, the digging and the inherent engineering problems, the decision to replace the USCT strike-force with untrained strike-troops, some gratifyingly carnage, and fade to a scroll with the statistics.

Not a multi-million dollar epic, but I'd pay to see it and buy the dvd.

Ole

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 02:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

CleburneFan, I'd forgotten about that at the beginning of Cold Mountain. I only watched the movie once, though I've got it on DVD in my movie collection. I'll have to get it out and watch it again.

And like you say, ole, the story's got everything but the gratuitous cheesecake. In many ways, the whole story reminds me, when I start thinking of it in cinematic terms, of those WWII thrillers that come along every so often.

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

After watching Cold Mountain once the only two parts I would watch again are the opening Crater scene and the  Singing in the chapel scene.  I forget right now what type of singing it is but it is such a well done scene.  The rest of the movie except maybe Renee's character  is forgetable .  I was so tired of the two main characters I wanted to scream at them. Oh wait I think I did . 

Susan

P.S. Maybe Little Billy Mahone could be seen eating cheesecake at the end of the movie Ole.

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

I agree with you 100%, Susan. I found the movie, and the book, boring as all get out. I tried reading the book three different times, and each time could not get past the first quarter of the story. One thing I absolutely dislike is a book in which the author treats puncutation marks as optional. No quotation marks when someone is speaking? Please! I got so confused at times, not knowing if the characters were just thinking, or saying something out loud. In short, I thought the book, and the movie, got far more attention than either deserved. But...that's just my opinion. ;-)

But I really like your idea of at the end of our proposed Crater movie, of having Little Billy Mahone eating some cheesecake!

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

The only way I got though the book was I had it on tape and listened to it as I drove though North Carolina on my cross country trip.  I had tried to read it several times and never made it.   I also did not pay full price for the book on tape.  I use to haunt the outlet store at different outlet malls and buy up books on tape for cheap.  Sadly the chain of bookstores at the outlet malls is gone now so don't have very many books on tape left to listen to.  Do have the one on the Mayflower on cd to still listen to though.  I also still have a few books on tape I have saved to listen to again.

Billy Mahone eating cheescake is a funny thought considering that beard of his .

You have chosen to ignore Savez. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 08:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Savez, can you site some research or studies that clearly demonstrate that what is claimed to have happened at Fort Pillow is, in fact,  overblown propaganda? I would be very curious to read what such scholars have to say and what evidence they offer to support their argument.

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 08:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

I also think the Kilpatrick-Dahlgren Raid on Richmond would be great turned into a movie. Dahlgren fighting through chaos and no assistance from Kilpatrick would be excellent to see. It would be the best way to end the movie in my opinion, but the story still goes on with the Dahglren Papers. Though it may not be as exciting to see as the raid it still would very interesting to see.   

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 04:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

Overland Campaign
Grierson's raid during the Vicksburg Campaign
Tennessee Campaign 1864

Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 04:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Grierson's Raid has been made a movie.  The Horse Soldiers was about Grierson .  Although John Wayne does not look like Grierson and the names were changed . 

Susan

Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 06:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

As a fun, or somewhat fun, aside. Did you all know that John Wayne's gfather, Marion Morrison, after whom he was named, was one of only 2 survivors of a drunken Confederate cavalry massacre near Ft. Donelson in the summer of 1864? This was an element of the 83rd IL of which Morrison was a member out of Warren Co. Although the men would not surrender--they kept on fightign with stones and their rifles as clubs--since they were unarmed and vastly outnumbered (11:70), there was not need to kill them. See official war records report, from August as I remember.

Wayne's uncle was a math professor at Monmouth College in Warren Co. Through my Gibb relatives, I'm very loosely related.

CKL

Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 01:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

CK, that is a very interesting story. It could make a pretty good movie or part of a movie all by itself!

You have chosen to ignore kakman. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Mar 13th, 2009 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
buzzard

Mana: 

I would like to contribute 3 battle scenarios for Civil War Movies.

Battle of Chickamauga, Rosecrans, Union Commander overly confident from the recent success of forcing Confederate forces under General Bragg out of Chattanooga, pitches battle against Bragg. Gen. Bragg despised by his own generals and troops, he flounders on the first day of battle and will not even visit the battlefield for the second. Cleburne, Hood, Longstreet, and Forrest through superior generalship route the Union advance. General Thomas becomes the Rock of Chickamauga, Bragg fails to follow up, Forrest threatens Bragg, and you have the makings of a very good movie.

Battle of the CSS Alabama vs. USS Kearsage in Clerbourg, France. Captain Raphael Semmes of the CSS Alabama, the South’s most destructive ocean raider has successfully sunk or burned 65 Union vessels, captured & ransomed another 10, including the sinking of the s USS Hatteras over the last two years. Captain John Winslow of the USS Kearsarge, has confronted Captain Semmes once before early in the war, but now has an opportunity to stop the raider again. Captain Semmes, hearing the Kearsarge is outside the port in Clebourg awaiting his departure, sends a challenge for a ship to ship dual. Classic battle, surprise, tactics, one of the most lauded accomplishments of the war by Lincoln and the North.

Battle of Franklin, Hands down the movie should be made from the book The Widow of the South, by Robert Hicks. Has the essence and horror of the battle, the aftermath, romance, a little something for everyone and a very good story to wrap around the McGavocks honoring those soldiers who fell in battle.

Posted: Sat Mar 14th, 2009 01:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

I'd like to see Chancellorsville made into a movie: great cast of characters, suspense, intrigue, surprise ending (for the non-CW buff).

Posted: Sat Mar 14th, 2009 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Lincoln Fan

Mana: 

After re-reading all the posts on possible movies, I have to put Chancellorsville in second place and go with the Crater also - would make a fantastic movie.

Regarding Cold Mountain, I tried reading it several times, tried the audio version once and never got through it. Then, much later, I saw the movie and realized why I never finished the book. It would make a good soap, however.

Current time is 06:55 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4455 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.