Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 14th, 2009 05:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

The Battle of Allatoona Pass on October 5th 1864 is often referred to as the bloodiest battle of the Civil War with 30% casualties in less than four hours... a little less than five casualties per minute.

No less than three women in the uniform of a soldier were found among the Confederate casualties. One was identified as a member of the 29th NC, another of the Missouri Brigade and the third woman was never identified in any way being buried beside her comrades.

Lt Colonel James Redfield was killed while fighting from a chair... he had been wounded twice in the leg before propping himself on a chair so he could continue the battle beside his men. The third wound was fatal.

Ten Confederate 12 Pound Napoleons & two 3" Ordnance Rifles expended their complete ordnance load (minus canister) which was approx one Cannon Ball, Bolt or shell impacting on the US position every minute for eight hours. At a range of approx 1500 yards they managed to do no appreciable damage to the largest US entrenchment, the Star Fort, and had little if any real effect upon the battle.

In contrast the six guns of the 12th Wisconsin Battery expended all of their ammunition and resorted to firing bags of brass buttons packed in sawdust at the enemy infantry. One Napoleon of the battery was double shotted with canister at every discharge, the repeated heavy recoil required the replacement of both wheels, the axle and severely damaged the stock rail. This particular gun was pulled from Rowetts Redoubt, the scene of the heaviest fighting, when it expended its initial ammunition load. It was manhandled a distance of approx 250 yards, uphill, under fire into the Star Fort where it would be resupplied and continue its deadly work in earnest until it fully expended its ammunition.

It has been estimated that roughly 600,000 rounds were fired. A rate of fire that equaled a little more than a thousand rounds per minute for the duration of the battle.

At one point a force of approx one hundred men made a charge, with the intent of setting fire to some warehouses. They suffered a casualty rate of approx 60% from a single volley delivered from a range of greater than three hundred yards. They made no further attempt. Such accurate shooting was not well known in the Civil War and it was delivered by Union troops.

With tidbits like these is it any wonder that the men involved thought it the hardest fight of the war... and men who had been at places like Shiloh, Iuka, Corinth, Vicksburg campaign, Mission Ridge and the Atlanta campaign had something to measure it against.

All things that could be used to good cinematic impact and would translate well into an interesting movie. Anyone of the three CS women in uniform could be the fictional romance apparently needed in most Hollyweird projects. Ample opportunity for tension as the badly outnumbered garrison prepares for the fight they knew was coming in the morning and the sudden and very welcome midnight arrival of reins that changed the odds from 5-1 to 3-2. The battle itself was IMO one of the most intense of the war, it took three days for Gettysburg to reach the 30% casualty rate and Allatoona just four hours w/ the majority of the casualties happening in about 20-30 minutes. The opportunity to show the ugly humor of war w/ the bags of brass buttons used for cannister and Col Redfield killed while fighting from a chair. As well as the brutal carnage. Add to that the interesting stories of many of the principal actors of the battle: French, Corse, Tourlette etc.

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 04:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
PaulaC

Mana: 

I am new to this board, but I would think the Battle of Franklin would make a great movie focusing on  the life of General Cleburne. 

Posted: Thu Apr 16th, 2009 02:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Henry

Mana: 

My choice of Civil War event for cinematic treatment would be the taking of the lower Mississippi by Farragut and Porter in April, 1862. Picture the 22 vessels of the Mortar fleet opening fire on Fts. Jackson and St. Phillip, with surround sound.....

Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2012 04:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
lbuttery

Mana: 

My choice would be Cold Harbor and the charge(s) on June1 and June 3

Lew

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2012 12:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Roanoke Island. Ball's Bluff. Big Bethel. Santa Rosa Island. New Bern. Fort Macon. Sewell's Point. Some lesser known battle that folks would never even think of. Make it so it's brought to a much broader audience.

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2012 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Last I heard The American Film Company (same bunch that did The Conspirator) is working on a movie about John Brown's raid. I guess you could call it a battle of sorts, but whatever you call it, I'm looking forward to seeing what they make of it.

Mark

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2012 07:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

John Brown's Raid sounds like a very interesting topic to me. I can't wait to see who they cast as John Brown, also as Robert E Lee.

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2012 11:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
lbuttery

Mana: 

I wonder if it's based on this new book ???
http://tonyhorwitz.com/books/midnight-rising.php

It's a good read

Lew

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 12:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Horowitz wrote "Confederates in the Attic," a book I enjoyed tremendously. I hope this book will be as gripping. I'm going to order it. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

I hate to think he would glorify an American Terrorist!!

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 01:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Old Blu wrote:
I hate to think he would glorify an American Terrorist!!

Does he "glorify" John Brown? Have you read the book?

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 02:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
lbuttery

Mana: 

I read the book and I don't think he glorifies Brown
but does "explain" him and his role in the coming civil war

yes, in todays terms Brown was a terrorist quite capable of flying a plane into Congress etc

Lew

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 11:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Ibuttery, I think the key though is when you said, "in today's terms." I think we need to be very cautious in labeling Brown (and any other historical figure) with an anachronistic term. I read an interesting book last week called, "The South versus the South" by William Freehling that put John Brown in the context of a 19th century filibuster. I must confess that I have never thought of him in that way.

Mark

Last edited on Thu Mar 15th, 2012 12:20 pm by Mark

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
lbuttery

Mana: 

Mark:

I agree about being "anachronistic"
but I still think the "terrorist" label would fit Brown's modus operandi

He was looking to "stike a blow" that would cause the end of slavery

he made no attempt to escape
he wanted to be a "martyr"

Lew

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 06:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Actually, :"The Terror" and :"Terrorists" originally referred to what went on during the French Revolution with all the persecutions and executions that went on.

Early History of Terrorism

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 07:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
Mark

Mana: 

True, but the original meaning of the word meant very specifically one who supported the Jacobins during the French Revolution. The 20th century sense of the word, as one who attempts to spread a sense of terror to make a political point, did not appear until the 1880s (see the Oxford English Dictionary). After a quick search through several databases, I cannot find a single newspaper that refers to Brown as a "terrorist." If someone can find one, I would be interested to see the reference. The term I see used most often is "insurrection." I'm not trying to defend Brown, I'm just trying to provide some historical context.

Mark

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2012 10:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
lbuttery

Mana: 

Mark:

good points

I remember the bood Midnight Rising quoted Southern Newspapes on the "scare" Brown's Raid caused

but don't remember if they did/didn't mention "terror"

anyways my point is that IF they had airplanes in 1859 he would have considered flying one into the capitol building or the White House to make his point

Lew

Posted: Sat Mar 17th, 2012 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

What book?  The one that glorify's him or the one that tells the truth?#%$#

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2012 12:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
lbuttery

Mana: 

Mark:

whichever one floats your boat ???

Lew

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2012 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Old Blu wrote:
What book?  The one that glorify's him or the one that tells the truth?#%$#

Regardless, I still think the John Brown story would make an interesting movie. I'm reading the book right now (Midnight Rising by Tony Horwitz)by the way and it is hard to put down. One thing I learned is at the time of the Harper's Ferry event, newspaper reports did not call it a "raid".

Common terms used then were "insurrection," "treason,""uprising", "invasion", "rebellion", and "crusade." The term "terror" was not used. What newspapers said about it then is instructive because it helps one understand John Brown's actions in context of the culture at that specific time.

How we interpret his behavior today, especially in light of September 11, Timothy McVeigh and other "homegrown terrorists like McVeigh is different.

It is notable, however, that the way captial punishment was dealt out to Brown is not much different than what we do today to those who engage in such behavior.

Last edited on Tue Mar 20th, 2012 02:25 am by CleburneFan

Current time is 12:31 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What Civil War battle or campaign do you think should be made into a movie?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4420 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.