Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg Paranormal - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 12:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Just wondering if there are others on this board that not only are interested in the Civil War but also the possibility of paranormal activity on these battlefields. As a part time photographer and living around 2 hours away from gettysburg i have done many many trips to gettysburg and shot thousands of pictures there. Have had a few pictures come out that are unexplainable. Would love to hear from others who have had paranormal experiences or strange pictures from the battlefield or any CW battlefield for that matter.

Also was thinking about putting a photography trip to Gettysburg together and was wondering if other CW buffs with a paramormal interest would be interested?

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Color me a skeptic but I would be curious to see any pictures you took that are "unexplainable."

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 10:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I have some I have taken Dave that are unexplained.  How did that finger get over the lens .  Whose head is that in my picture?  etc, or my favorite how did it get so out of focus. 

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

susan,  your funny,  lol.  finger, head, out of focus,  thank god for point and shoot!!!!!!!  :D

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 11:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Or my favorite: Oh, s***, I forgot to turn on the flash!

Unfortunately, in the umpteen times I've been at G-burg, as much as I try to provoke the spirirts, I've never been successful. And there's not even a Triangular Field left anymore after the timber cutting--that's the place where everyone has camera trouble. The scariest sights I've seen involved seven busloads of tourists squeezed onto LRT on a Saturday in July.  :shock:

Pam

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Pam, have to agree with ya on the bus loads of tourists, lol.

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Truth to tell, I would LIKE to believe there are paranormal events taking place at Gettysburg and other battlefields. As a child I was certain Devil's Den was haunted. I also felt the woods around Spangler's Spring were haunted and the actual spring where both Rebs and Yanks drank together at the end of the day (though that is disputed by some.) 

Whether there really are paranormal events happening or images that might be captured with dedication of time and effort, I don't know, but I WISH there were.

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

Susan:

LOL, perhaps it was the spirits (consumed internally of course) ;)

Posted: Thu Feb 19th, 2009 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

LOL David.   Actually I have never tried to take paranormal pictures .  I work one day a week in the Drum Barracks here in Wilmington California.  The only remaining building of a military post of 60 some arcres built in 1862 to keep the peace in the area.  Carlton was the first commander,  Col Curtis the one here most of the Civil War and Stoneman commanded an almost empty post in the late 1860's.  There are all kinds of legends about the place.  It has appeared on Unsolved Mysteries and Most Haunted.  In the four years I have been here I have never heard. smelled or saw anything. 

The director who is there of course more often than I am and has been there for eight years only hears noises and smells tobacco at times.  She has never seen anything. 

Maybe the reason we don't see more is neither of us wants to. 

When we have special events I am usually in the library . This room is downstairs on the North east side of the building .  It is always the coldest room.  The whole building is cold .  It is a 19th century 14 foot high ceiling woodframe building .  We have no heating in the place except small space heaters .  I had a woman once who told me the reason the library is so cold is it is the vortex for the entry into the other world.  She kept trying to prove it to me by showing me how much warmer it was in the hall than the library.  Gee maybe because the hall is narrow and doesn't have so much open area?  She was angry too as I could not allow her to take pictures.  She said she could see all kinds of things.  We do not allow pictures to be taken inside the museum.  Policy of the museum. 

I don't care if it is haunted or not.  I love the place .  Love what I am doing there once a week and special events. And I honor the men that once manned the post during trying times.  Civil War and Indian Wars afterwards. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Feb 20th, 2009 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

I am very interested in a trip to GB to do some paranormal investigating. I live in the next town over from you.  I've been to Gettysburg many times for events and such but never had time to devote to "ghost hunting" and would love to do it.  I have had many personal experiences throughout my life and some with witnesses so I know there is something out there.  I just never caught anything in Gettysburg...yet.

I have some equipment and am ready to ride!  ;)

Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Actually, after capturing only two unusual photos at Gettysburg in 2006 (although I've visted many times because of my interest in Civil War History), it fanned the flames of curiosity in the paranormal. 

Here's the very first photo that startled me.  It was taken on the way out of Devil's Den from my SUV.

FYI...I've posted this on other paranormal websites under a different name which I've since changed to the current handle.

Last edited on Sat Feb 28th, 2009 09:15 pm by minuteman2

Posted: Sat Feb 28th, 2009 09:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Hi...I regularly visit battlefields, as well as many other historic places.  I am not "into" anything paranormal--and am still something of a skeptic--so I do not seek to find anything paranormal--but I have had some extremely unusual things appear on photos, and have also experienced some other phenomena that would be considered "supernatural" when visiting battlefields.

Let me know--if you want to see the photos, I'll show them to you.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Minuteman2, your picture at first glance is startling because of the size of what appears to be an orb over the rock but on closer examination it appears to be just a speck of dust or something in the foreground or on your lens. It is transparent and does not emit its' own light. Nice shot though.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Ah, well, skeptics and naysayers always come up with the same response which I have to take with a grain of salt.

Suffice it to say, I took many photos that day and this was the only photo that showed this anomaly. Therefore, it most certainly couldn't have been a smudge on the lens (which I would have noticed on the other photos), and noone was walking around in the area whom could have kicked up dust or particles.  As I stated, I took this from my vehicle, so I certainly wasn't trampling around in the field either.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Regina, you should post your photos.  I certainly would be interested in seeing them as I'm sure others on this forum would as well. 

I too was not looking for anything paranormal during my visits to Gettysburg and Devil's Den.  The anomalies in my first photos (however questionable in the minds of skeptics) sparked my interest and I began taking random shots in other places, including on my own property...what a shocker! 

Unexplained images began to appear, most captured by my outdoor motion-activated game camera during daylight hours.  This is a stationery camera, battery operated, over which I have no control.  It captures what activates it and "what it sees". In time, I will post some of these.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Regina

Mana: 

A couple of years ago, I spent a month in Hawaii--as you can imagine, I took hundreds of photos of all kinds of things.  The cemeteries there are very different from the ones around here, so I took a few pictures.  One of them has a "misty" spot right above a grave that is like an "orb" except it's more square-ish.  This is the ONLY photo of the hundreds I took that had anything on it.

As for historic places, the same pattern has occurred.  I have taken hundreds of photos.  On one 3-week trip to Gettysburg, the only picture that has anything on it is one I took at the Cashtown Inn on June 30th.  There was a group of Confederate reenactors standing outside--the photo is covered with "mist".  Again, none of the other photos have anything unusual on them.

One morning, I sat at the Eternal Peace Light and took pictures of the scenery from there.  On one picture there is a smokey blob in the field.  When you look closely at it (I swear) you can see a Confederate soldier running.  I know we all see shapes in clouds, but the photos I took of the same area--right before and right after--have no smokey blobs, and there weren't any there to see, either.  Also, other teachers that I have shown it to say it does look like a soldier (some don't see it)--it's very weird and interesting, but it's very hard to say I believe in ghosts or anything even with these photos as well as others I have taken on battlefields that are covered with orbs.  Many pictures don't have orbs--it's highly coincidental that they show up in certain places.

At my daughter's wedding--with all the hundreds of photos taken--there are no orbs--except for one picture of myself and my two sisters.  Right next to us is an orb--and we say it must be our deceased sister standing with us.

Later today, when I have more time, I'll try posting them

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Can't wait to see the photo of the alleged Confederate Soldier.  I'm constantly searching for new pics and videos from all of our Civil War Battlefields. Hope to see them soon.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Minuteman2, I think you misunderstand my post. I am not a naysayer nor a skeptic. As I stated before I have had many encounters with the paranormal and truly believe that there are times that we can see, hear or feel something out there.  I personally do not hold orbs in very high esteem. There are too many other reasons for something like that to appear on a photo. True orbs are balls of energy but not necessarily of a paranormal nature. They have specific criteria which make them such and all I am saying is that I don't see those in your photo. Don't take offense if someone differs with your opinion.  I too have posted some images that I am on the fence about and get responses from both ends of the spectrum. I just like to hear what others think. I'd love to see more of your shots though.

Posted: Sun Mar 1st, 2009 09:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

No offense taken, really.  I'm aware that most, including T.A.P.S. doesn't give much credence to the presence of orbs, but I'm just saying, in that particular photo, there was no smudge on the lens and nothing walking around to create dust or particulates.  I've seen both sides presented, true orbs and false ones and I understand why some get a little excited when they see the dust fly.

As to what orbs consist of, I'm not sure, they may be just energy; whether it's "spirit" energy is another question.  I did manage to get lots of orbs on my own property when the weather was still, clear, dry and absolutely noone had been walking around at night.  So, when I get bright or unusual anomalies, I get a little excited. 

I actually captured two bright round "orb-like" anomalies around two of my family members while taking random shots, but consecutive shots showed none.  I'm far from having any expertise, but can discern between dust, camera straps and similar false anomalies that I've seen in other photos.

That's what this forum is all about, right?  Opinions, pros and cons.  Hopefully, we can keep it going and have fun in the process.

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 01:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
sunnylady408
Lady Reenactor

Mana: 

My daughter had a experience at the Prairie Grove Battlefield last year when she went on a walk with the captain of our unit and his wife. She was standing by a tree, dressed out in her camp dress, and nobody was near her. She says that she felt a hand on her shoulder. As she was running to me at the doghouse she said it happened again but that time she felt two hands on her. We just had the reenactment there in December and I took pictures of our company Christmas party and the dance in the Latta Barn. In some of the pictures there are orbs, in most just a one or two but the picture I have of Christina there are lots around her. She was not feeling well and she says they were there to protect her and enjoy the music. Since this time she sees more and more of the spirits (if that is what you want to call them) whenever we go to Prairie Grove. We will be at Pea Ridge Military Park this weekend for the 147th anniversary living history. She is already wondering if she will have the same experience there as well.
I never really believed in such things until then. I could tell by the look on her face that she was telling me the truth. Christina is 14 yrs old and way to old to make something like this up. She gets nervous when you mention another walk at night around the battlefields.

There are some that believe and some that do not believe. We all have our own opinions on this subject. I, for one, feel like that since these men died in such drastic and horrible fashion that their spirits are still on the fields they died on. Remember these men did not get to die in the arms of their loved ones as they would of liked to.

Just my opinion from a mothers view.

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 06:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Regina

Mana: 

Hope you can see what I'm talking about--look to the right of the cannon--along the tree-line (there was nothing there when I took the photo)

Attachment: at Eternal Peace Light looking west.jpg (Downloaded 79 times)

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 06:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Regina

Mana: 

Well, when you look at the original picture, you can see it much better---looking at the way it came out on the posting, it's VERY hard to see the "smokey blob", but I would mail a copy of the original to anyone who wants to see it

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 06:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Regina

Mana: 

Not one person was smoking when this was taken--no campfires, etc.  There was nothing there when I took the picture to cause the "smoke", or "mist," and nothing on any of the other pictures I took either, so it's very interesting

Attachment: Cashtown Inn 6-30-07.jpg (Downloaded 83 times)

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 07:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Here's my attempt to give you a better look

Attachment: close-up.jpg (Downloaded 82 times)

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 07:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Cool picture of the re-enactors in front of the building with the drums in the foreground. Hmmm...perhaps the spirits of those passed were grouping to join the re-enactors thinking troops were preparing for another "battle".

I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as smoke. The building appears to be historical...any history?

Last edited on Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 07:39 pm by minuteman2

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 07:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

In the cannons in the field photo, I do see something.  I enlarged it greatly, but it's still not clear what it is.  If it's an image, it's not standing erect, but seems to be bending over something.  Can't make it out.

Last edited on Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 07:37 pm by minuteman2

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 07:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

This photo was taken at the "Haunted Stream" in downtown  Gettysburg.

Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 09:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Susan...I've read a little about the Drum Barracks in Wilmington, CA.  Actually, the town I live in is also Wilmington.  I've got to get my brother to go there; he lives in Pasadena and has a mild interest in the Civil War.  I send him related books from time-to-time and I know his wife often adds to his library.

This past Christmas, I sent him something I've been wanting to read, but haven't gotten around to it, entitled "Lincoln's Sanctuary: Abraham Lincoln and the Soldiers' Home by Matthew Pinsker.

Off subject...sorry.  No chance you can "sneak a few pics" so we, on the East Coast can view them?  Come on...have a heart.  

Posted: Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
jeffand

Mana: 

I definitely believe that there are paranormal beings at Gettysburg. Standing on Cemetery Ridge, I could hear sounds of the battle.  I mentioned this phenomemon to my (ex)wife and she just laughed at me!

Last edited on Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 04:59 pm by jeffand

Posted: Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 05:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

Jeff...I know what you mean. When I was doing a drive-around on the back roads encompassing the Battlefields, I heard the distinct sounds of cannon fire, several times.  I tried to drive towards it but couldn't locate where it was originating from.  To my knowledge there were no events taking place that day, so the cannon fire was completely weird.

Posted: Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 11:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Hubby and one of our sons took the ghost tour at night in Key West. There is a school that burned many years ago trapping many children inside and killing them. The guide told everyone that this is said to be one of the "most haunted" spots in Key West.

Hubby took some photos of the gates. This is true. Though he and my son saw nothing untoward at the time, when they looked at the photos later there were several small orbs near the gate! :shock: We all ponder over this photo.  I just shudder to think of how those poor children must have died.

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 08:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

It would have been interesting to see the photo. Any chance you can post it here?

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 12:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

If I could figure out how to post a digital photo here, I would post all of the series Hubby took of the haunted place. There are different sized orbs and they move from photo to photo. Their appearance is roughly like someone had blown bubbles, but they are softer and more luminous. Some are in front of the gate and some behind.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 12:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

You have to first upload to a photo website like "photobucket".  They'll walk you through step-by-step...it's easy.  This is where you'll store your photos for future posting, emails, creating albums, etc.

Once you upload your photos and choose which ones to post, you simply "copy" the link to the photo indicated under the photo in photobucket, and your photo will be displayed.

The "insert image" feature at the far right of the message screen will prompt you to enter the link which you copied and will then simply "paste".  Voila!  Now everyone can see them.  I'm not an expert and hope this amateur attempt at explaining how to post photos is not confusing to you.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 01:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Now all I have to do is figure out how to upload the photo to Photo Bucket. but I want to learn that was one of my New Year's resolutions. Thanks your for helping me out.

Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2009 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

sunnylady408 wrote:  She says that she felt a hand on her shoulder. As she was running to me at the doghouse she said it happened again but that time she felt two hands on her.  In some of the pictures there are orbs, in most just a one or two but the picture I have of Christina there are lots around her. She was not feeling well and she says they were there to protect her and enjoy the music. Since this time she sees more and more of the spirits (if that is what you want to call them) whenever we go to Prairie Grove. Christina is 14 yrs old and way to old to make something like this up. She gets nervous when you mention another walk at night around the battlefields.

Sunnylady408 - seems like Christina may be somewhat "sensitive" to spirits. I also have a 14 year old daughter who seems to be a spirit magnet where ever we go. Two years ago we investigated the Burlington County Prison Museum in Mt. Holly NJ - it was part of a private investigation I arranged as a different kind of birthday party for my son and his friends.  It was a very active evening and my daughter was getting verbal and physical responses from a "girl child" spirit including a pinch or stab to the back of her neck (she was wearing a pony tail). I have pictures of the red welt right after she was touched and will try to find and post it later.  I also have some recordings of the "child" answering some of her questions to make her presence known.  It was a VERY COOL birthday outing! However, Abigail is now somewhat nervous about being touched again. 

Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2009 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

I posted a possible paranormal photo earlier but I posted it on the wrong thread.  Here it is for consideration and feedback.  This image was captured by my outdoor motion-activated camera and appears to be high up in the trees.  ???

Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2009 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Wow.  That is awsome.  Definately looks like a person walking though the trees. :shock:  Were you in an area where something happened?  Like a battle or something?

Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2009 09:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

No...actually it's on my property.  I've been researching to see if there was ever an old, abandoned cemetery or graveyard in this area, but our local archeology department has no record of anything.  I'm still researching.

Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
sunnylady408
Lady Reenactor

Mana: 

ShadowHunter,

It happened again this weekend. We participated in the 147th Anniversary of the Battle of Pea Ridge. Christina decided to take some pictures at night to see if anything would appear. She came back almost in tears. She showed me pictures she had taken of Elkhorn Tavern and there are orbs all over the place. I asked her what scared her and she said she could see the battle happening and the men being shot. She was afraid to go to the tent without someone with her and she had some trouble falling asleep. I told her that she has a special gift and most do not have and I do my best to support her and be there for her. I know some do not believe in these things but I can tell when she is making these things up and I can tell you she is not. I will try to post the pictures as soon as I can download them this week.

Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 03:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Pam,

Wow. You definately may want to help your daughter find a way to channel her gifts so they don't overwhelm her.  Have you ever seen a show on A&E called Psychic Kids?  See link...   http://www.aetv.com/psychic-kids/

You may want to contact them for some guidance.  I've seen some incredible things and how this "gift" can overwhelm young folks who have trouble dealing with them.  I hope she is strong. Good luck and keep us posted on how she handles things.  I'd love to see the pix.

Lorraine

Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 04:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
minuteman2

Mana: 

SunnyLady408:  It seems to me if your daughter's experiences are frightening her, perhaps you need to exclude her from these re-enacting events for awhile until she's older and can sort things out.  Exposing her to spirits of the dead could potentially cause further harm to her mentally and it's apparent it's causing her some confusion and fright.  I would seriously discontinue involving her as she may not be capable of coping with "her gift". 

Has she expressed any desire to not be involved? 

Posted: Mon Mar 9th, 2009 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
sunnylady408
Lady Reenactor

Mana: 

minuteman,

Christina loves going to reenactments. This is really the first time she saw the visions of the battle. She also said she had a sick feeling in her stomach. I am going to try and find someone to help her and I understand this. She told me Saturday morning that even though she felt this way she slept well better than the rest of us in fact. She did not hear the high winds or the rest of the group coming in during the early morning hours. In fact, all she can talk about is going to the event that is right after her birthday in May.

Posted: Tue Mar 10th, 2009 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Hey All....  Glad to see responses to my thread ..  Interesting pics Regina and minuteman2..  Just my thoughts on min2 pics, the pic of orb over rock i cant explain, doesnt appear to be dust or a smudge, the pic with what looks like an apperition in the trees looks like it might be composition problem, but not sure, lol.  Regina, havent been able to explain any of your pics, def strange... 

ShadowHunter, sorry i wasnt able to get back to you earlier but am still interested in getting a group together to go to gettysburg. You have other equipment???  I Only Use my Cameras and a small evp recorder.

I have been to gettysburg many times and have taken thousands of pics and only have had a few (maybe 10) that have come up with something. I will be posting the one thats really got me baffled soon, but it has to be blown up to see the figure, not altered, just blown up and am having trouple uploading it to this site in a viewable state. 

Posted: Tue Mar 10th, 2009 01:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Hey Civilwar6165 - I was beginning to think you fell through a dimensional portal or something ;)  I definately want to go to GB to do some investigating.  I am going on Good Friday with my husband and some friends to do our annual pre-season gear shopping and to get our favorite ice cream but we don't get to spend time on the battlefield that day.  I have a kII emf meter, a digital voice recorder, an IR Thermometer and my trusty camera.  I am interviewing with the SJPR on Saturday 4/18 so that day is out. (South Jersey Paranormal Research).  Let me know what days you think you can make it.  My 16 year old son would probably want to join us.

Lorraine

Posted: Tue Mar 10th, 2009 03:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

ShadowHunter wrote:  I am interviewing with the SJPR on Saturday 4/18 so that day is out.

Correction: I may be at Neshaminy the weekend of the 18th. I'm with SJPR on Saturday April 4th. 

Anyone else want to meet up in Gettysburg to do some investigating? Or just plain old enjoying the countryside...  What dates are good?

Posted: Mon Apr 13th, 2009 06:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

Well, I went to Gettysburg this past weekend and investigated a few places with my son and my friend Sharon.  Didn't get to review everything yet but I definately got some interesting EVP's. (Electronic Voice Phenomena-picking up voices electronically that were not physically heard at the time it happened).  We spent about an hour in the cellar of the old Orphanage on Taneytown Rd. near the Holiday Inn where we stayed.   It is supposed to be haunted by some orphanage children and the wicked mistress, Rosa.  Honestly I did not feel or hear anything unusual at the time but when listening to my digital voice recorder my son picked up two things. 

Question: What's your name?  Answer (little girls voice): Mmm   Mmmmmmmm

Question: How old are you? Answer (little girls voice): Seven  (this was very clear)

Once I figure out how to download the sound file I'll try to put it on.

Still need to review The Wheat Field, Devils Den, Spanglers Spring and Covered Bridge.

Posted: Thu Jul 16th, 2009 02:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
CoryB
Buford Trooper

Mana: 

Sorry to add to this conversation exceptionally after the fact, but I too have an interest in the paranormal. Though I don't do it as a means of just "Ghost Hunting," but rather as a means of research. As a historian, I am always interested in primary sources. If the spirits of the actual participants of the battle can give us answers, then why not attempt to communicate with them?

Once at Gettysburg, near the base of Cemetery Hill I caught an EVP.

?: Did you fight for the Union?
A: Yes.... Ohio....

?: Can you tell me your name
A: Walter.....

?: Did you say "Walter"
A: YES!

But After a lot of research and a few more visits to the same area I haven't been able to confirm either from either sources nor "Walter" which Ohio units were at this specific location. However, my latest trip to this spot, in April of 2009, around midnight, I swear I saw a lantern with an open flame move through the woods for about a minute before it disappeared and there were no signs of any other tourists, especially that deep in the woods.

Posted: Thu Jul 16th, 2009 03:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

CoryB - That is awesome!  So it seems when you were asking questions you actually physically heard his reply of WALTER when you asked his name which is why you asked him to confirm WALTER. 

I wanna go investigating with you one of these days!

Posted: Thu Jul 16th, 2009 03:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
CoryB
Buford Trooper

Mana: 

Oh, my apologies. They were actually EVP recordings. I didn't hear anything with my own ear. I know it's not proper "practice" to stop a recording device and listen for playback during the investigation, but I opperate a little differently. I let the recorder record for about 30 seconds to a minute after I ask a question. I ask about five questions, then I listen to them quick to see if there is a response.

In this instance I was able to hear "Walter," or at least what I thought was Walter, which is what prompted me to ask "Did you say Walter?"

I know that this isn't a preferred technique and risks missing something, but it's just the way I do it. I think having a direct response to questions is more substantial evidence as opposed to a raondom EVP. Although I just got a K2 Meter, so maybe now I'll be able to just leave the Voice Recorder Running, while using the K2 to act as the conversation barrier.

I try to go to Gettysburg at least twice a year, so maybe one time we can try to get an Investigation going. How far from Gettysburg is Mullica Hill?

Posted: Thu Jul 16th, 2009 06:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

No, makes perfect sense the way you did it.  While not efficient it certainly gives you the opportunity to get a feel for any activity.  The KII should definately help.  I have a bunch of neat "toys" I use when investigating all of which are used to help support any findings at a specific location and time.  I am about 2 hours from GB and was most recently there in April(?).  I would like to get out there again in the fall when it is nice and cool.  I hate heat and humidity.    Would be fun to get a bunch of folks together to do something like this.  Let stay in touch on this board.

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 02:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Hi all. Havnt been online in awhile, hope all is well.  Check out this pic taken on Sachs Bridge on Memorial Day Weekend 2009

Attachment: IMG_0738_edited-1-1.zip (Downloaded 16 times)

Last edited on Fri Jul 17th, 2009 03:33 am by civilwar6165

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
ShadowHunter
Lurker

Mana: 

CivilWar6165 - OK, I see a neat orb but I am going to have to ask the obvious. Were you alone there?  Who is that figure at the back of the bridge?  It looks like...dare I say.....a soldier wearing a kepi? The picture gets very grainy when I blow it up.  I HAVE to know!  Was there someone there or did you capture something?

Posted: Sat Jul 18th, 2009 12:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Hi Shadow. My son took the pic while we were at the bridge. there was no one at that end of the bridge. I t looks to me like it is a soldier. There is an orb to his right and to his left is a reflection of a cars headlight. the cars light is out and what you see is the flash reflection. We were there with about 10 other people all of which were at the end we were, and my son was bored with all the adults talking so he just started taking pics. If you can enlarge the pic it looks to me like he is wearing a hardee hat and maybe the letter P on the hat.

Posted: Sat Jul 18th, 2009 11:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Basiliximab

Mana: 

ShadowHunter wrote: Would be fun to get a bunch of folks together to do something like this.  Let stay in touch on this board.

That would be fun. I've been wanting to go back to GB for quite some time now. Unfortunately I live in Nevada, but I'll have quite a lot of free time in October. I'm hoping I can take a trip out east during that time to visit a civil war battlefield or two. Keep me in touch if anyone has any plans to go out there as a group.

Posted: Mon May 17th, 2010 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
bolaman1975

Mana: 

i lived in Gettysburg for about 3 yrs....i have more paranormal stories then i can even write down...i would have to dedicate about a 10 page response to list them all.

Posted: Mon May 17th, 2010 02:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

I wish I knew how to post evp's. I have a good one. Too bad this thread kinda died down. :D

Current time is 10:05 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.7714 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 27 queries executed.