Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Taco Soup - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 05:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Taco Soup

This is so easy. My friend's daughter fed us this soup when I was in South Carolina. I made it the other day and boy was it easy to make .  Taste good too on a chilly day
1lb ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 pack taco seasoning
1 can black beans drained
1 small can tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can corn drained

Instructions
brown beef and onion together then drain. Add all other ingredients and mix well. cook on low. The longer it cooks the better it is. You can cook it in the crock pot all day on low . Serve with cheese , sour cream and chips.
Enjoy

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 11:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

susansweet3 wrote:

Taco Soup

Taste good too on a chilly day

Sounds like it would taste good on a chili day, too. :)

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 11:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I am betting it would Pvt.

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 09:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

The puns, they never cease! I'll bet you were just stewing over that one, Pvt.!

Pam

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 11:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Does that make me a pundit?

Posted: Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 11:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

More like a puntwit?  Just try the soup already .

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 01:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I consider myself twittered.

Wife and I tried the soup last night. Highly recommend it. Crocked it, easy to fix. Was like a chili taco (with chips). Plus...it was 25 degrees outside. It all came together.:)

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 01:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Susan,
Tried the taco soup last night and it was great!
What a quick, easy and GREAT tasting dish.
Thanks a bunch and keep them coming!
Chuck

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 03:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Figured it would warm the cockles of some of you out there in the cold.  I had it on a chilly or is that chili day in South Carolina last December.  I knew I had to have the recipe and my friend's daughter went right to the computer and typed it out. 

Over the years I have become a what is fast and easy to make cook.  Don't do it much.  So this was perfect .  Throw the stuff together and let it do it's job. 

Glad you guys enjoyed it .

Susan

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

Guess what's slow cooking?

Resisted the temptation to trick up the recipe a bit (garlic, chili powder, extra onion ...) We'll try it first in the suggested version.

I cook like Marie -- that tastes about right -- although without the same skill. I grew up in an area where what she is cooking is called a hot dish, or a covered dish, or a dish to pass -- all well understood among Lutheran Church Basement Women.

A long-past favorite involved macaroni, hamburger, red beans, and tomato sauce (or ketchup, or both -- "to taste" is the key). Some crumbled potato chips or soda crackers sprinkled on the top during baking adds a nice, brown crunch. In that crowd, al dente, is eyetalian for "not done yet."

One campground we frequented would, toward the end of the season, host what was named the "chili dump." Each diner would bring his/her version of chili. All were dumped into a large pot and stirred. Amazingly, the end result was inevitably very good. (The iced beer didn't hurt.) We usually also furnished bowls of shredded cheddar, minced jalapenos and chopped onions or scallions.

Nice forum, Javal. Appreciate it.

Ole

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 07:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

We're having it for dinner tonite. Threw it in the crockpot this morning. I got home from school, and the house smelled great!

If nothing else, we are definitely well-fed around here. If we all ever got together, can you imagine what the menu would look like??

Pam

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 11:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Plan on trying this sometime soon. Question though Susan - do you drain the diced tomatoes or not? Seems to be very little liquid for a soup if not. Sounds great for a easy, do-nothing day though.

Posted: Tue Feb 24th, 2009 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

No , Joe, only the beans are drained.  It can be as soupy as you want depending on how little you cook it .  Longer it cooks the thicker it gets. 

Some might need to add more spice to it to make it "hotter"  . If I can eat it , it won't be too firey spicey .  Just seems like a good thing to have on a chilly day as it was the day I first had it.

Glad eveyone is enjoying it. 

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

ole wrote: Guess what's slow cooking?

Resisted the temptation to trick up the recipe a bit (garlic, chili powder, extra onion ...) We'll try it first in the suggested version.

I cook like Marie -- that tastes about right -- although without the same skill. I grew up in an area where what she is cooking is called a hot dish, or a covered dish, or a dish to pass -- all well understood among Lutheran Church Basement Women.

A long-past favorite involved macaroni, hamburger, red beans, and tomato sauce (or ketchup, or both -- "to taste" is the key). Some crumbled potato chips or soda crackers sprinkled on the top during baking adds a nice, brown crunch. In that crowd, al dente, is eyetalian for "not done yet."

One campground we frequented would, toward the end of the season, host what was named the "chili dump." Each diner would bring his/her version of chili. All were dumped into a large pot and stirred. Amazingly, the end result was inevitably very good. (The iced beer didn't hurt.) We usually also furnished bowls of shredded cheddar, minced jalapenos and chopped onions or scallions.

Nice forum, Javal. Appreciate it.

Ole
Years ago, I was scoutmaster to my sons' BSA troop and every year the council sponsored a Klondike Derby... your chili Dump reminded me of this... the price of admission from each scout was a can of soup. Brand or type was of no consequence as the council provided enough condensed tomato to cover any percieved shortage and to make a "stock".. all was dumped into a huge 3 legged cast iron kettle over an open fire and "cooked on" all day... when coming in from outsied and the activities the kids were involved in, that was ambrosia.. best soup I ever ateEd

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 09:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Very good Susan. Made it today and am sitting here with a full stomach and smile on my face. I made just a few deviations from your recipe. First, I used the Hot taco seasoning. I also threw in about 1/4 pd of ground sausage along with the ground beef (I know, it's not Mexican, but it added a nice subtle kick). I ate it covered with sliced jalepeno's. Very good - thanks for posting it!

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 10:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

You are very welcome Joe, I knoe some of you would need to trick it up a bit as I am a person with very mild taste in food.  I don't do spicy food well.  Your changes sound good for people that like peppers and more spice. 

I will have to let Jennifer know her taco soup is a big hit on here.  She will be pleased.

Susan

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 11:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Joe, I bet if you threw in some chorizo instead of just sausage, it'd spice it up just right, too, keeping with the Mexican theme!

Have to try that, myself, next time.

Pam

Posted: Wed Feb 25th, 2009 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Damn, you're right Pam. And I just checked and we have some in the freezer. Oh well, next time! It'll be awhile though, as our recent kick has me and Laurie trying only dishes we either never had before, or haven't had in at least 20 years. Amazing how that challenge has expanded our palate. Tommorow night it's Roast Pork with Sage and Potatoes. If it turns out OK I'll post the recipe...

Posted: Thu Feb 26th, 2009 07:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
ole

Mana: 

Third day on this. The first day, I forgot to throw sour cream, shredded chaddar or minced jalapenos on it. And Dear One observed that it was chilli. So I threw in some salt and garlic and it's still chilli.

At this moment, I'm eating about the last of it with sour cream, shredded cheddar and jalapenos. Chilli. With corn.

Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 02:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

It is a sort of chili with Corn ,  I didn't name it , I just liked it .

Susan

Current time is 04:31 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4520 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.