Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

War Reenactments - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 10:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

I was wondering what wars are reenacted throughout the world. I was surprised when I found out there were WWII reenactments. If any of you have been to any other war reenactments besides of the Civil War what are they like? Unfortunately, I have only been to two small Civil War reenactments.

This is one of the WWII reenactments I found on You Tube

Last edited on Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 10:20 pm by 1861-65

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 08:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

THere are WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Napoleanic, Franco Prussian War, Ancient Roman, Viking, War of the Roses re-enactors that I have heard of. Hell, I heard last night that there were some people that wanted to put together a Gulf War re-enactment unit!

Posted: Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 09:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

Wow, I wonder what the veterans think of seeing people reenact a war they fought in?

Last edited on Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 09:24 pm by 1861-65

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 12:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

At Fort MacArthur in  San Pedro California they do a marching though history event in July each year.  There are people at this even from all wars you could think of.  We are there with the Drum Barracks, of course, next to us was Cabrillo and his soldiers (they explored California ).  On the other side California Dragoons from Fort Tejon.  I had two Drummers playing in front of our booth . One was Renaissance Faire and one was Civil War drummers.   Across from us one year was a Vietnam Hootch, another year a 14th century Polish company,  This last year was pirates. 

We have seen Roman Legions marching down the street stopped by Western "Wyatt Earp and brothers " type group.  They were nose to nose til a Sheriff type stopped them. 

Mountain men, French and Indian War, Spanish Civil War on and on are all there. 

They do demonstrations and all kinds of activities then just for the fun of it they put all the soldiers on the field at once.  One year they gave the gatling gun to the Romans. 

Can't wait to see what happens this year.

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 05:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

From the veterans I've talked to... they aren't keen. Especially the combat vets when they see re-enactors who make light or are just "playing war."

I'm reminded of an incident at an event where we had an encampment; a WW2 Pacific War vet was there and quite interested. He listened to our whole speal and stayed after. He said that he really enjoyed listening to us talk of a soldier's life in the field, wasn't as far off of his own experiance as he had expected. He then told us about attending a WW2 re-enactment and discovered that one of the units was not only portraying his old Division but his old Company. He stayed after their talk and offered to show them how they actually wore their gear and how they carried their weapons a little differently than the re-enactors. He was rebuffed by being told that they had used photos and movie reals to get their gear and such correct. In short saying that they knew better than a man who had been there. The veteran nodded and smiled slightly then explained that the photos & movie they described watching had been done in Hawaii, before they went into combat.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

The most fun I had last year was spending three days at a multi-period event. When I had the chance to wander round I was really impressed at the variety of periods being re-created, from Greeks and Romans through to the present day. Other than the East German border guards, the most obscure impression I saw was the Regency ladies' dining club who were opposite our company street and would dress very well then sit down to a luxury silver service meal. Us Union privates wondered if fixed bayonets could reach the fruit bowl but didn't dare try...

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: From the veterans I've talked to... they aren't keen. Especially the combat vets when they see re-enactors who make light or are just "playing war."

Before I started re-enacting one of the qualms I had was the idea of playing war whilst good friends of mine were (and still are) serving on the front line. 

I see re-enactment as a form of education, both for myself and for the public.  We can't demonstrate the true terror and horror of war, but as educators we mustn't gloss over it. As for you example Johan, frankly those re-enactors ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2009 03:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
buzzard

Mana: 

Next to the Civil War, I would believe the Revolutionary War is next on the list for most often battles reenacted here in the old USA. Very active groups with period clothing, encampments, and equipment. Lots of activities besides the actual battle reenactments.

Usually these are also staged with the Long hunters, French & Indian Wars, and other colonial period events.

If you like the Civil War reenactments, you will also love the Rev War reenactments.

By the way the History Channel show, "Warriors" with Terry Schappert, is really good program to see other types of reenactments. They did an episode on the Vikings that was outstanding. They even built Viking ships! These guys were serious.

Buzzard

Posted: Thu Oct 1st, 2009 10:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
OpdykeTiger

Mana: 

If Americans have fought in a war, then there are reenactments of it, right through Viet Nam...

Posted: Sat Aug 21st, 2010 06:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: He stayed after their talk and offered to show them how they actually wore their gear and how they carried their weapons a little differently than the re-enactors. He was rebuffed by being told that they had used photos and movie reals to get their gear and such correct. In short saying that they knew better than a man who had been there. The veteran nodded and smiled slightly then explained that the photos & movie they described watching had been done in Hawaii, before they went into combat.
I like this part a lot, especially the last sentence. You'd think if you have a vet of the war you're re-enacting say "let me show you how we did it" then you'd want to listen to them as they have the real life experince.

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Pvt 13th US Inf Co D

Mana: 

Well said. The vets who fought in WW2, Vietnam and Iraq should be respected. My uncles were in Vietnam, and my grandpa was in WW2.

Posted: Sat Feb 18th, 2012 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Last edited on Sat Feb 18th, 2012 05:40 pm by BHR62

Current time is 07:49 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1871 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 28 queries executed.