Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Squash - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 12:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

OK, as stated in another thread, I've never eaten squash. Determined to broaden my palate, I plan to do so as soon as they come in season. So I'd like to hear to hear everyone's favorite method of preparation. Also, is butternut considered the best variety? Thanks in advance.

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 01:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Joe,

It depends on what you want to do with the squash as to what kind, I think. If I'm going to roast it, then I like acorn squash: halve it, clean the seeds out, put a big pat of butter and a generous amount of brown sugar in the hollow, and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until fork tender. For non-sweet squash, I usually use summer squash, yellow or zucchini, and halve it, drizzle olive oil on it, salt and pepper it, and bake it at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Pull it out, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving. Really easy.

If you're looking for something unique, try spaghetti squash. You halve it and clean out the seeds, and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 or so, or until fork tender. Then take it out, and using a fork, scrape up all the insides--they come out like spaghetti, hence the name. It's cool. I usually put either marinara sauce, or just garlic and oil on it, like I would spaghetti.

Howcome the dearth of squash in your life? I can understand the okra, but squash grows fast as rabbits here in PA in the summertime.

Pam

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 01:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Pam,

Thanks so much for the tips. That spaghetti squash sounds great. Because we're so rural, I'll just have to see what the very limited number of stores decide to sell.

As for why I never ate it, well - I'm not sure. My late father was a meat amd potato sort (veggies not required), so that's what I grew up with. But since I hit the half century mark in a couple months, I feel like "if not now, when". :D

Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 03:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Squash is kind of stringy but not bad, kind of a sweet potato flavor to me.

PAMC... you're making me hungry!

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

javal1 wrote:As for why I never ate it, well - I'm not sure. My late father was a meat amd potato sort (veggies not required),
your father sounds like me. im a meat and potatoes kinda person. i wont eat many veggies, i love fruits and meats though. i"ll eat all of them you'll give me

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 11:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Two of my favorite squash recipes are:
Using yellow squash (straight neck or crooked neck)
Slice squash into "rounds" like potato chips -thin slices, dredge in seasoned flour (salt,pepper-get a little crazy and use "Old Bay" or any crab seasoning.
Drop in a deep fryer and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season if needed. Like the old chip commercial said "Bet you can't eat just one"

The other recipe is for the grill:
Slice the squash lengthwise and put in a ziplock bag with your favorite mar. sauce. I prefer honey teriyaki. Let them marinate for an hour or so, grill over a med-low heat and enjoy!

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 03:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

DD,

Like I said, anything fried is terrific!

I've grilled zucchini, and I like the smoky taste it gets over charcoal. I'll have to try the sweeter version--honey terriyaki--I usually do just olive oil, salt and pepper.

Pam

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 03:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Pam-

Squash grow so fast that we had to eat them every day.  My parents and grandparents loved stewed squash.  I will pass on that one.  But I do love them fried like chips.

I do recommend using a charcoal grill vs gas for grilling.  I agree with you about the smokey taste-can't beat it!  And we do Zuch's., eggplant, and patty pan squash the same way and love them. 

I actually just order some spaghetti squash earlier this week.  Can't wait to give it a try.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 04:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

And now I'm off to the store for a squash.

Some years ago, I bought a deep-fryer. (I got such looks.) But it is used more than the slow-cooker. Sweet potatoes make nice chips, as do baking potatoes.

Question: Don't squash have seeds? Do you skin them before slicing?

Acorn squash, halved and scooped and baked with butter and brown sugar, sounds like a plan. THE mom would do the exact same thing. Never liked that, but I wonder if I would now. (And if I could get Dear One to eat one,)

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

DD,

Oh, we have always used charcoal. We don't even have a gas grill. I just think the taste with charcoal can't be beat. I guess that could be a thread all by itself!

Spaghetti squash is fun, because it takes on whatever taste there is from the sauce you use, just like pasta. Sometimes I use red sauce, sometimes pesto (I make my own and freeze it so I have it all year; especially in January and February, it tastes like summer), and sometimes just olive oil, with some fresh parsley, basil, and rosemary sprinkled on top. Yum!

Pam

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 05:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Only scoop the seeds if they look tough. Zucchini and yellow squash seeds just get soft when you cook them. Scoop out the acorn squash, though, seeds and that stringy orange stuff (like in a pumpkin). Don't skin any of them. You can eat the zuke and yellow skin just fine, but don't attempt the acorn skin--especially if you want Dear One to eat it!

Pam

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 05:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Ole-
We never take the skin off, I think they would fall apart without it. And the seed do not need to be removed.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 08:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ole

Mana: 

Thanks DD and pam. Will be trying that soon.

Ole

Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2009 06:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Last year at Huntington Beach reenactment I was invited to a dinner all cooked in the camps.  One of the things we were served was Acorn squash soup.  I loved it.  Never had it before and would love to make it sometime.  Pam do you have a recipe for it? 

Susan

Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2009 04:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I do, but I'll have to dig it up at home (I'm at school now).

Pam

Posted: Fri Mar 6th, 2009 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Pam thanks so much.  I really enjoyed this dinner .  The soup was such a good start. 

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 02:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ole

Mana: 

Many thanks, Devils Den. Finally found a butternut squash. Fried some up last night and found the "chips" tastier than potato -- and probably more nutritious. (Sweet potatoes are also interesting.)

I just did them up plain ... no dredging or marinating or even salting. Will try that for lunch today or tomorrow.

Will be planting a hill or two in the garden this year.

Ole

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 03:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I peel a yellow squash ( I don't remove the seed), slice it so the slices are round and about 1/4 inch or so thick, and fry in bacon grease.

For the grill, slice an acorn squash in hafl, remove the seeds. Fill the void with butter and brown sugar. Wrap with tin foil and grill untill the insides are soft. Be careful to grill it with the hollowed out side facing up, or else you'll spill out the butter.

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 04:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Ole-
Nothing beats home cookin'!
You MAY want to plant a few extra hills-squash get a "boring worm" in the stalk on occasion. One day your plants look great, the next day, they are wilted and gone!
We usually plant a around a half dozen hills. We have a lot of squash, but you can slice them, spread on a cookie sheet and freeze, then into a ziplock and the freezer. They will be fine if you eat in a modest time frame.
Good luck!

Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 09:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Is it "squash" or "skworsh"????......

Current time is 12:16 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4225 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.