Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Stromboli - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 01:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ole

Mana: 

Stromboli is probably a locally invented name for a burrito, but I had one for lunch on Monday and it is well worth trying.

It amounts to a wrap or a burrito, with the wrapping being thin pizza dough, a big one. Inside was Italian beef, some crumbs of Italian sausage, lotsa mozzarella, a sprinking of reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes, served with a marinara dipping sauce.

Almost a panini, and I have no idea how they grilled the puppy, but imagine the possibilities of such a technique! Less beef, more sausage; minced sport peppers; and turn that into TexMex.

Talk about home-made hot pockets. One of these will feed two.

Not worth opening another thread is the skillet dinner. About 15 minutes. Hash browns, sausage or bacon bits or both, minced onion and egg(s). Maybe topped with cheeze. Throw in whatever sounds good to you.

Here, I'm assuming that you don't carmelize the onion, and that you do fry up the sausage and bacon in a separate skillet. Fast and easy. Some salt, pepper (red or black -- your choice) and you have something filling that can be made on the spot -- in minutes.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 12:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Ole,

We will definately be trying your skillet dinner during hunting season next year!  Sounds like a new favorite in the duck blind!

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 03:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Ole,

Have been eating, and making, stromboli for years. I like it better than pizza, and I do like pizza! Actually, it's like an inside out pizza. Usually, a stromboli around here comes with pretty much what you described, or with capicola, ham, pepperoni, salami, plus cheese, onions, peppers and sometimes sauce. I've made them, though, with sliced chicken breast, cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, pepperjack), onions and peppers, with some salsa inside as sauce, and that's pretty good, too, though not very Italian.

Have you ever had tomato bread? Not quite as exciting, but if you make it with homemade pizza dough and homemade tomato sauce, it's great.

And now I have to go eat something!!

Pam

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 03:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

It's hard not to love Stromboli's. In addition to the Italian style already mentioned, I've seen Ham and Cheese as well. There's a great pizza joint across the street from my kid's college that make it right - huge and about 5 pounds.

Laurie and I are about to make pierogies and soft pretzels today, but maybe a stromboli next week.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 04:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

Have you ever had tomato bread? Not quite as exciting, but if you make it with homemade pizza dough and homemade tomato sauce, it's great.

Dear One's parents were both from Sicily. Of course I've had tomato bread and sausage bread.

Back to the stromboli: is the wrap actually a pizza dough? How do you heat it? Baked? Fried?

Love the idea of a TexMex filling, but then, I could just get a burrito.

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 04:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

The stromboli wrap is just pizza dough, ole, at least around here. When I make stromboli, I just bake it at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, and the dough gets nice and brown. You don't even have to put an egg wash on it.

I haven't had sausage bread. Is it just sausage, or with sauce? And is it sweet or hot sausage? Any of it sounds good!

Joe, if you have a few pierogis to spare, could you sent them my way? I haven't had homemade pierogis for ages. A woman I used to work with would make them, and bring them in for the whole office for lunch. It was the first time I ate pierogis that were NOT fried--she made them in butter and onions, and they were heaven. Of course, they were not low-fat, which was very ironic because we all worked in the PR department of a hospital at the time!

Pam

Posted: Thu Mar 5th, 2009 04:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Ole,

Pizza dough will work fine, but make sure it's had time to fully rise before using it. Roll it fairly thin. Make sure you crimp (or fold over) the edge completely since leaks can be a real mess. Once folded, I cover top & bottom with an egg wash. Poke holes ar small slit in top. Bake at about 35 minutes at 350. I'm hungry.

LOL - Pam and I posted at the same time. I prefer the egg wash because I tend to stuff mine real full and the wash helps brown it golden and firm.

Posted: Sat Mar 7th, 2009 10:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

I haven't had sausage bread. Is it just sausage, or with sauce? And is it sweet or hot sausage? Any of it sounds good!

Started this last night but realized i didn't know diddy ridick about how to finish it.

Sausage. Two pounds. Your choice -- whatever turns you on: breakfast or Italian; hot or ordinary or mixed. Brown it.

Bread. Two loaves frozen or enough for two homemade. If frozen, thaw inside plastic in the fridge. (Don't want it to rise yet.)

Roll out each loaf to about 8 x 12" on a lightly floured board.

Heap on about 1.5 cups of schredded mozzarella cheese in the center with sauteed onion and sausage. Fold over and pinch together seams.

Turn it on the length seam, cover with damp towels, and let rise for a while. (Until it looks right.)

Egg wash, if desired, but bake at 350 to 375 until nicely browned.

You can skip the cheese, or bunk in some Parmesan. Skip the onion or bunk in garlic. Whatever floats your boat. The basic is the bread and the sausage. Anything else is optional.

It would seem that there is no one way to make it. One recipe calls for Bob Evans (one hot, one mild); another would rather you use Jimmy Dean. Dear One prefers Italian sausage. (It figures.)

Would you believe that both my children and I married Italians? (We're talking recent Italians -- not that 1860 bunch.) With Dear One, they are Barca, Toumei, and Bellafiore. Gawd I hate pasta.

Ole

Posted: Sat Mar 7th, 2009 11:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Pizza dough will work fine, but make sure it's had time to fully rise before using it. Roll it fairly thin. Make sure you crimp (or fold over) the edge completely since leaks can be a real mess. Once folded, I cover top & bottom with an egg wash. Poke holes ar small slit in top. Bake at about 35 minutes at 350. I'm hungry.

Thanks, Javal. Have made note of the recommendation. This will make use of the largely unused rolling pin and the homemade bread board (3 x 3) that Dear One's mother used to have and I cannot bear to discard.

We have all kinds of inherited crap that we almost never use, and rolling out the dough will lend some justification to keeping it.

The bread board: Dear One's father made it and it is huge. No reason to keep it except for sentimental reasons. I really ought to see if we still have it, as Dear One is given to sneak things out of sight and gone. About five years from now, I'll be looking for that board and she will blink her eyes and say, "What board?"

Women! Can't live with them; can't live without 'em; and can't shoot 'em.

Ole

Current time is 04:06 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3820 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.