Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

OK, had this one tonight and we were both very happy with it. Pulled the basic recipe from here, and made a couple of revisions (in red):

Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 onion, chopped
1 large bunch broccoli (about 14 ounces, fresh)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup cream
1/2 cup white wine

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
12-16 ounces Cheddar, grated
salt, to taste (at least 1 teaspoon!)

Instructions:
1. In large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook and stir until onion is tender.

2. Wash and trim ends of broccoli and then chop broccoli (including stems). Add broccoli and chicken broth to pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until broccoli is tender, about 10-15 minutes.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, cornstarch, pepper, and garlic salt. Add to boiling broccoli mixture, stirring until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.

4. Reduce heat to low-medium low and stir in cheese until melted. Add salt to taste (important!).

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 06:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Geez, javal, this cooking thing is taking over. Next time I see you I'll expect to see a healthy blimp.

Will try the recipe, but Dear One requires more than soup. She is a professional eater and feeding her is a challenge.

On the other hand, she had to go out and buy some size 8s because the 10s weren't working well.

She's in training for a cruise next month. Just the girls. Diminishing returns?

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 06:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Next time I see you I'll expect to see a healthy blimp.

LOL Ole. Actually the net result of this cooking binge so far has only been a gain of 2 pds. Well worth it. Eight months before you and I met, I weighed 238 pds. The day we met I was 168 pds. Once I found losing weight was so easy, I wasn't afraid to gain it again. So now I'm at 170 and I can live with that if it means a new, fun hobby like this cooking thing! :D

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 11:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Plays hob with clothing budget, dont it? Am struggling to stay away from that 200 pound mark. When I was your age, I was considerably trimmer; like 165 and wearing pants with a 32" waist. This aging thing is not all it's cracked up to be.

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2009 11:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Javal,
Great recipe, nice soup. Also good when you use cauliflower instead of broccoli and blue cheese instead of cheddar. (not so much salt needed when using blue cheese)

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2009 05:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Fedreb - funny you mention that since the first words out of my mouth after eating this were "ya' know, this would be great with cauliflower too". As for the blue cheese, I like the idea, but being as rural as we are, I can't find any without making a 100 mile round trip. I could order it on the web, but shipping charges on food products are usually outrageous. Did you use cauliflower with the blue cheese? If so, didn't the cheese flavor take over the dish? Glad you liked it.

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2009 05:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Javal,
Yes I do use blue cheese with cauliflower but not in great quantities, just add to your own taste.
I don't think I could live 50 mile from blue cheese. It is one of my favourite indulgences.

Current time is 09:46 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1564 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.