Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Bits and Pieces from Gettysburg - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 29th, 2009 11:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hi folks,

I was out in Gettysburg on Friday 3/27, and thought I'd give a little update on a couple topics we've batted 'round here about the 'Burg.

Well, they're in the process of demolishing the old Visitors Center (you can see it on the Gettysburg Daily blog--lots of pics). Drove by it from front, back and parking lot side, and it does look sad. Kind of wish they would've just knocked the whole thing down at once. The old Cyclorama is still up, but fenced in.

Speaking of the Cyclorama, I have to say that was one of the highlights of this trip. It was the first time I've seen the new Cyclorama painting set-up, and I was impressed. I was with a group of ninth grade honors kids, and the girl I was standing next to was absolutely positive that WASN'T a painting: "Look at the detail! It can't be!" The foreground "props," such as wagons and other detris of war, were cool. The downside was that the viewing was only about 10 minutes, and once you are herded into the cattle chute like railings, you can't see the other side of the painting across the room. And you aren't allowed to move. I also didn't really need the added sound effects (artillery, gunfire), but I can see how the younger generation would. All in all, a good experience.

Although in past posts I've expressed indifference and disappointment with the new VC, I have to say, space-wise, it was great for groups of school children. Spring is high season for school groups, and the old VC used to get so packed with them.This time, there was enough room and enough restrooms, for what looked like about 20 buses in the bus lot. They could use more picnic tables for the kids to eat at, though, but that's considering at the old VC there were no picnic tables: the kids ate on the grass. And the snack bar is just too expensive to expect the kids to eat there.

There's been a ton of new tree cutting, most notably in the area of the PA Monument. Now you can see things that you didn't know were there. . . like the park's maintenance shed. But in general, the cutting gives you a different perspective of the troop movements, making sense of historical details that didn't make sense with a stand of trees in your way.

Just thought I'd throw some Gettysburg bits and pieces your way, for those of you who are interested!

Pam

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 02:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
jeffand

Mana: 

Thanks for the tips.  I am planning a trip to Gettysburg sometime this summer.  I haven't been since 1977.  I am sure that the place has changed since then

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 03:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I haven't been for about 5 years and can't wait to see what a difference the tree cutting has made as well as the new VC and the cyclorama in its new home. Six and a half weeks and counting.....

Posted: Mon Mar 30th, 2009 06:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

I'll be on Spring Break the week of Easter. Given that I live only 15 miles south of the good ol' Burg, I'm going to make an effort to go once or twice. I could really use a visit. That place makes everything seem clearer to me.

Posted: Thu Apr 16th, 2009 07:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

How will they keep the trees from growing back?
\
\
ken

Posted: Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

Dow weed and brush killer.

Posted: Fri Apr 17th, 2009 11:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Wow. I hope they can get that in the economy size.

I can see it now, Dr. Latschar in front of a Senate committee:

"Dr. Latschar,while we applaud your comittment to returning the esteemed Gettysburg battlefield back to the way it was at the time of the battle, this committee has a real issue with this bill for, what? $3.4 million for. . . weed and brush killer? Could you explain this, please?"

Pam

Posted: Fri Apr 17th, 2009 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Or we could do it the old fashined way using hogs, sheep and cattle. Goats although not in that much use originally would be cheaper to maintain. I seem to recall a thread about hogs post battle eating slain troops.  This would not be a big streatch as most farmers let the hogs run loose in their wood lots to keep brush growth down. They would just pen their fattening hogs in late July to hold for slaughter in the late fall. 

Posted: Fri Apr 17th, 2009 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

I seem to recall a thread about hogs post battle eating slain troops. 
Got that right J Harold. Don't know if that was the practice around Gettysburg or generally on northern farms, but in many areas, fences were built to keep the pigs out ... not in.

Pigs are among the most brilliant critters and able to subsist very well on their own. They are voracious eaters and quite expensive to maintain. So they were turned out after fall slaughter and rounded up just before the next. A bushel or two of grain would put some fat on each in time for cold weather and butchering.

Posted: Fri Sep 18th, 2009 03:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
t4tillerman

Mana: 

Does anybody know of definitive information on where Stuart was during Gettysburg?

Posted: Fri Sep 18th, 2009 05:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

t4tillerman wrote: Does anybody know of definitive information on where Stuart was during Gettysburg?
For a complete account of Stuart's Gettysburg campaign you should read "Plenty of Blame to go Around" by Eric Wittenberg and David Petruzzi

Posted: Fri Sep 18th, 2009 10:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Excellent book fedreb. Ive read it twice.

http://www.amazon.com/Plenty-Blame-Around-Controversial-Gettysburg/dp/1932714200

Current time is 03:25 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3706 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.