Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Dahlgren Affair - Other Eastern Theater - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 4th, 2009 08:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

Do you think there was any that Gen. Kilpatrick's raid on Richmond could have worked? I feel he could surely not have freed the prisoners at Libby prison without getting them all blown up the day the raid happened. I feel that if they had come a few days earlier though they actually accomplished some of their objectives. Do you think they could have maybe freed the prisoners or even captured Robert E. Lee because I read he was in Richmond about a day before the raid began?

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Sat Apr 4th, 2009 10:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

The books are full of dumb-*** ideas that never could come to fruition. Lee, on his way to Sharpsburg, expected a groundswell of Marylanders to jump on the bandwagon. Bragg, at Frankfort, had wagon loads of rifles to issue to the hordes of Kentuckians who were going to rush to the banner. Dahlgren's raid was to release thousands of prisoners into the countryside. Today, we have no lock on dreaming.

Ole

Posted: Thu Apr 16th, 2009 07:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

He (Dahlgren) should have burned the papers or at the veery least not brought them with him!! :-) ...I recently read an article that suggested that Lincoln's assissination was tied to this raid (by Stephen Sears) ....interesting speculation certainly...

ken

Posted: Fri Apr 17th, 2009 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My oversimplified rules of combat include these  that Kilpartick ignored at his well-intentioned but ill-conceived Richmond Raid. 

1. The more complicated the battle plan, the more likely it is to fail.

A corellary of this is that if everyone does not have a perfect understanding of the plan, some one will mess up.

A second corellary is that one must allow for challenges such as bad weather, bad maps, unreliable guides, swollen rivers, no bridges, and surprise attacks by the enemy.

2. If there is no contingency plan, there will be disasters if things go wrong.

3. Generals who lead by guess and by golly get too many of their men killed.

Posted: Mon Apr 27th, 2009 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

Not a chance.

There are lots of reasons why, in no particular order:
  • There were no arrangements for the freed prisoners of war to make their way back to the Union lines other than on foot and on their own.
  • The defenses of Richmond were far too strong; just 90 days later, Sheridan arrived at the same spot with 12,000 men and elected not to try to enter the city.
  • There was no coordination between Kilpatrick's column and Dahlgren's column.
  • The combined forces were too weak to accomplish the objective.
  • The weather conditions were very bad and getting worse; there was an ice storm the night before the Federals tried to enter the defenses of Richmond.
In short, there simply was no chance of this mission succeeding.

My biography of Ulric Dahlgren is due out some time in June, and I've spent a number of years on the Kilpatrick-Dahlgren Raid. 

Eric

Posted: Mon Apr 27th, 2009 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

What is the name of your book? I'll place a pre-order at Amazon.com.

Whoops! Just checked Amazon and they haven't posted a pre-publication notice for this book. I'll keep checking. I may be way too early.

Guess what! I didn't give up. I had checked under Wittenberg. So I tried Dahlgren and found the book. It is "Like a Meteor Blazing Brightly: The Short But Controversial Life of Ulric Dahlgren. The date given for release is June 1. I have it on pre-order. Kilpatrick is such a colorful character. While I don't admire him, I enjoy books that describe his life. I'm afraid I don't know nearly enough about Ulric Dahlgren.

Be careful if you check. There is a book about Cleburne with a similar name--A Meteor Shining Brightly or something similar...shining might be burning.

Last edited on Mon Apr 27th, 2009 02:30 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2009 01:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

UPDATE:

After unacceptable and inexplicable delays caused by the printer, the book just shipped last week. It will finally be available to the public this week, nearly six weeks late.

Eric

Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2009 01:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going  to Amazon now to check on my backorder of the book. I can't wait until it comes.

Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2009 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

No problem. I hope you enjoy the book, and I look forward to your comments on it.

Eric

Posted: Thu Aug 27th, 2009 10:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Eric Wittenberg

Mana: 

The book is out and is readily available.

Eric

Current time is 09:46 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1687 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 24 queries executed.