Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Numbers Who Fought Entire War? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 02:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Have read about brigades and regiments that fought the entire war, but I am wondering if anyone here knows what percentage of men actually fought and survived the entire war? It seems as if it would be a very small percent, but honestly I don't know.

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 02:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

If I understand your question correctly, I think it is next to impossible to answer without clarification.  If you mean how many soldiers joined in 1861 and fought to 1865, does that discounts any soldiers that joined in 1862, 63, etc?  You would have to drop soldiers who served their enlistments and were mustered out before the end of the war, but would you add back in soldiers who joined another unit.  How would you count soldiers who were wounded or taken ill seriously enough to require several months or even years of convalescence before returning to their units?  But, on the whole, I think you could get a very rough guess by looking at of the casualty returns of a few units who served though the entire war, though this is problematic because both Federal and Confederate units were replenished by new recruits throughout the war.  Also, you would get a large discrepancy between line infantry, artillery and cavalry units and the rear echelon units.  I'm afraid this may be a rather long winded way of saying that I think the question is impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy.
-Mark

Current time is 07:17 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1346 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.