Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Virginia Domination - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 27th, 2009 04:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Has anyone read American Lion?  Well I was thumbing through it and came across something very interesting on page 234:

Floyd was inclined to throw in his lot with Calhoun, and there was an argument that the Union's demise could be good for Virginia, which would become the greatest power in a new Southern order.  In considering their own decisions about nullification, Virginia's neighbors worried that they might be trading tyranny of the North for the tyranny of Virginia. "Separated from the East and united in a Southern Confederacy, would not Virginia govern with supreme control?" a correspondent asked John Branch of North Carolina.  "Have you not already felt the force of her domination, when her sons were in power?  And how could you protect yourself against her overwhelming population and resources?  There are matters which it would seem the worthy nullifiers have not studied as they deserve.  The time is approaching when it will be necessary for South Carolina to look at this side of the question- and to decide which is likely to use power most tyrannically, the General Government or the mighty and proud Dominion by which she is located and before which she must tremble and crouch in the event of a contest between them." 

It seems to me that the correspondent's prophecy about Virginia actually did come true during the war.  Or am I wrong???

Last edited on Mon Apr 27th, 2009 04:27 am by The Iron Duke

Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 03:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Sure sounds like it to me .  Interesting quote.

Susan

Current time is 11:50 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1408 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.