Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

How do you till your garden? - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 29th, 2009 06:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

As I was getting ready to disc and plow my sunflower field I started wondering how everyone else prepares their garden for planting.

I have a variety of old (heck-antique!) tractors (8N and 9N Fords and a Farmall Cub) that I use for mine.  Sold off the bigger equipment when we stopped farming in the early 1990's. 

Do any of you use tractors?  Roto-tillers?  Good old shovel and rake? What is your preferred method of getting your garden ready to plant?

Posted: Wed Apr 29th, 2009 08:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

DD,

I use one of those little Mantis rototillers for the majority of my garden beds. It's about 10 years old, and it gets into tight places, and it starts right up when I need it (hope I didn't jinx myself!). My vegetable garden is the main one I actually till, and I throw in a combination of composted fall leaves, bonemeal, blood meal, and Plantone organic fertilizer. In my other established beds, I mostly apply bonemeal and compost, but just "scratch" it in around the plants. I did use soil tests when we first moved in 14 years ago, but now I pretty much "know my soil by ear," so to speak. I always have to stop myself from rushing the tilling and prepping, though, because by this time, I'm about ready to plunk in the plants and get my hands dirty!

Pam

Posted: Thu Apr 30th, 2009 01:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

DD: Just the pointy shovel. So my garden is only as large as these old bones will allow. I envy you your Fords and the Cub, but if I had one of those, I'd have a half acre under cultivation and abuse like you wouldn't believe. (I don't eat veggies, just grow 'em.) Just a farm-raised elderly person who absolutely must get some black dirt under the fingernails as a periodical fix.

Raining again. But I guess I'll go out and get some tomato plants. Maybe it'll dry up by Saturday.

Ole

Posted: Thu Apr 30th, 2009 02:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Ole,

I love those old tractors, always keeps dad and my grandfather close to me.  Of course, when they are not running just right, I am not too fond of them!

I appreciate the "dirt under the fingernails" feelings.  Growing up on the farm was a wonderful experience for me, I can't begin to think of the life lessons I learned from it (and from using the business end of a "good old pointy shovel" to get things done!)

Good luck with the weather and don't forget to throw some squash seeds down this year.  Those deep fried squash chips will be a welcome treat this summer!

DD

Posted: Thu Apr 30th, 2009 06:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

Fortunately, DD, THE Dad taught me how to make them purr. He could work magic with engines. About 3.5 seconds after hearing a sick engine, he'd know what it took to make it well again. So many times just a cryptic "points" was uttered. Then we'd go home and crank up the "A."

So many memories.

Ole

Posted: Fri May 1st, 2009 12:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Ole,
That is great! My dad and grandfather taught me so many things about the land and farming, raising livestock and to appreciate the joy that comes from good, honest, hard work! Sadly, how to work on machinery was not their strong suit.
I can handle the plugs and general service, but the points and timing and carb. are beyond my control!
And, like grandpop used to tell me, "they won't break down sitting in the barn, only when we need them!"
We are stuck with rain in the forecast through next Tuesday! Between machinery malfunctions and coaching high school softball, I may have have some "late" crops this year!
DD

Posted: Sat May 2nd, 2009 02:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Coaching kids is almost as rewarding as farming. I get to look out my window at the park across the road, and every now and then, there is a dad out there with a kid or two flying a kite or playing catch.

I find golf a useless game, but on Thursday there was a dad out there with a kid and they both had a bag with maybe two clubs in each. And they were hitting balls off the baseline of the softball field. What I especially appreciated was that the dad was responsible enough to not be cutting divots ... and he was teaching the kid. There is still hope.

Ole

Posted: Sat May 2nd, 2009 02:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

We are stuck with rain in the forecast through next Tuesday! Between machinery malfunctions and coaching high school softball, I may have have some "late" crops this year!

It's still too cold and too wet to do any digging. This will be yet another year when we go from winter to summer and skip spring. Probably won't have any apples or pears this year. Blossoms came out and it was too cold for the bees to come out at the same time.

It might get warm enough today, but Dear One gets home today (tomorrow?) and I have to scrape down the kitchen so I don't get yelled at.

Ole

Current time is 08:03 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3780 seconds (25% database + 75% PHP). 25 queries executed.