Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hey Calcav...some help please - The Battle of Shiloh - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 05:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Tom,

Laurie and I are headed Shiloh-way sometime this week. I want to check out a number of things, one being Lew Wallace's debacle. Am I correct in assuming the following:

What was River Road is now Rte. 22?

What was the Shunpike is now Seay Rd.?

The cross road Wallace used after counter-marching (to get back on River Road), would that be what is now B Phillips Drive?

If I'm wrong in any of these assumptions, can you set me straight? Also want to follow the retreat of Stuarts brigade on the Union left. Is that area accesible? I know you're at Corinth now, but you still know way more about Shiloh tham I ever will. Thanks for any help!

Posted: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 08:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
calcav1

Mana: 

Joe,

It's just not possible to follow Wallace's route without the permission of a few land owners.

What you want to do is go to the park bookstore and get a copy of the Blue & Gray magazine with the Shiloh articles. In the back is the old reliable "General's Tour" prepared by pubisher Dave Roth and Chief Ranger Stacy Allen. This route will follow as closely as possible the original track taken by Wallace's Third Division.

A good read before you go is Allen's article "If He Had Less Rank" in Steve Woodworth's "Grant's Lieutenants." This is the best account of why it took so long for Wallace to reach the field.

Yes, you can follow the route of Stuart's retreat on the Union left flank. Bring lots of water, tick repellant and good shoes. The east side of the battlefield is a maze of deep, steep ravines. You picked a good hike. Amazing to imagine Oscar Malmborg ordering the 55th Ilinois to form a square in front of the attacking Confederates. Be sure to take the path east from Stuarts headquarters monument to the monument of the 54th Ohio. A very cool zouave is waiting in the woods.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 09:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Calcav,

Thanks so much for that. Will take your advice regarding the bookstore.

I expected Stuart's trek to be a real pain, and with no break in the heat index in sight, I'm not sure we'll be up to it, but will try.

Really looking forward to this since it's been almost 3 years since we've been there. Also plan on following Cleburne's travails, esp. the charge by the church. If it gets so hot after a Hagy's lunch that we can't do anything else, maybe we'll head to Corinth since we haven't been there since y'all opened (and I assume the VC is air-conditioned :D ). Thanks again!

Posted: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 09:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

The heat index is forcast for 105-110 this weekend. The very chilly A/C at the Corinth Interpretive Center is a nice break from melting! I'll be working on Sunday if you are in town.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 09:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I highly recomend reading Larry J. Daniel "Shiloh The Battle That Changed the Civil War".

He breaks the battle down quit effectively and paints Wallace in an interesting light when discussing his march/counter march, etc.

Posted: Wed Jun 24th, 2009 12:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Every time I go home lately, I keep meaning to go over to Shiloh, but never get around to it. Must do so next time I'm in. :)

Posted: Wed Jun 24th, 2009 06:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I might also suggest a topographic, waterproof, tear-resistant map. My guess is Don Todd in the bookstore can help you find one.

Posted: Wed Jun 24th, 2009 07:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

LOL Tim....if only I knew a company that made one. Actually, as Laurie and I sat here budgeting the trip it included the gas, the Blue and Gray mentioned by Calcav, a Trailhead Graphics map (you may have heard of them), lunch at Hagy's, etc. Now all we have to do is wait for a break in this horrible heat wave. It doesn't matter how much you love tromping a battlefield, it would be nothing but miserable in this. It's a 104 heat index as I type this - add ticks, chiggers, and snakes and I'm thinking maybe next week instead.

Posted: Wed Jun 24th, 2009 07:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

Tim,

Nita says her maps at Corinth are much nicer than Don's maps.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jun 24th, 2009 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Tim,

Don and I have the same map of course....;)

Nita

Posted: Wed Jun 24th, 2009 09:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Joe - I've learned my lesson(s). I pretty much limit my stomping to April-May and September-October. Call me a wimp if you wish. I'm through with dehydration and uncomfortable late day tick searches.

I haven't been to the Corinth CW Interpretive Center since the day it opened. I'm sure they do carry some fine maps, also. No offense, Nita. There is at least a day's worth of interest in and around Corinth.

That same day that I was there, there was a dedication at the Contraband Camp. I understand that it is now ready for visitors. I can't wait to go back and see what the NPS has done with this historic chunk of land.

I guess, aside from the heat, I'm a little jealous of your trip, Joe. Have a good, safe, time and have some catfish for me, too.

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 01:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
TimK

Mana: 

One more thing...

In addition to Hagy's catfish, I have heard that I should get a slug burger when I'm in Corinth. Was this a bad dream, or is there really such a thing?

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 01:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

TimK wrote: One more thing...

In addition to Hagy's catfish, I have heard that I should get a slug burger when I'm in Corinth. Was this a bad dream, or is there really such a thing?

It's Selmer you want if you're looking for slug burgers.  (Never was a fan of them, myself.  Shocking, me being from Selmer and all. :P )  Head on over to Pat's Cafe, right across the street from the courthouse.

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 02:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

OK, two things.

One: Please tell me a slug burger is something other than a ..well, a slug burger.

Two: While Hagy's is famous for their Catfish, I don't like catfish. I always order their great breaded chicken livers. Laurie on the other hand orders two servings of catfish and hush puppies so she can bring one order home.

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 02:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Yup.  Crispy fried slugs. :)  Seriously, though, I think they're made of soy.

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 03:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Here we go. Thank goodness for Google. My memory slips sometimes, but so far has never fallen too far.

http://www.dixiedining.com/column/column_jan2006.htm

Sorry Joe, to hijack your legitimate CW queries, to satisfy my culinary questions.

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 03:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

My questions were answered Tim, so hijack away. Thanks for that link - I won't say they sound good, but certainly better than what I was thinking slugburgers might be. After all, this is a culture that eats grits and cow brains :shock:

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Hey Barry,

I hope you don't think I was dissing your Selmer Slug Burgers. I'm sure they're every bit as disgusting as the slug burgers in Corinth. At least they sound that way.

If I can't bring myself to eat some local Rocky Mountain Oysters, or eat a crawfish's head when I'm in New Orleans, I doubt very seriously if I'll try some of these local delicacies. And Joe - you can cook a chicken liver up any way you want. It's still a chicken liver and on my do not eat list.

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 12:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Don't worry, no offense taken. :) I never ate the things myself.

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 02:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Wordpix John

Mana: 

On the subject of burgers, does anyone remember that streetcar diner that was in downtown Selmer in the late 50s and early 60s? And... what were THOSE burgers made of?

Also, I remember eating something in Adamsville that fits the description of a slug burger. I don't remember that name, but it was a big bun with big patty, lots of mystery filler that my grandfather thought was soy. It cost a dime in 1960 or so, and I thought it was pretty good. But... in those days, I'd eat most anything if you put it on a bun and called it a "burger."

Current time is 12:33 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4483 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.