Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hey Calcav...some help please - The Battle of Shiloh - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 7th, 2009 10:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Well, just back from Shiloh. Figured today was a good day to go as temps were in the high 80's and I had to escape the TV coverage of some King or President or Messiah or something who died.

Treked Lew Wallace's exact route thanks to the Blue & Gray mentioned by Calcav above. Couldn't get near Stuart's brigade area as that part of the park was closed for repair. Spent a lot of time tromping the woods between Rhea and Shea and Fraley's field. Then followed Cleburne's attack - something I highly suggest all visitors do. It was eye-opening if just for the terrain these poor men were fighting through. Walked the lemgth of the Sunken Road (again) and by that time we were tuckered out. Ate at Hagy's (of course) and then home. A great day, and I've had my battlefield fix for a bit.

Posted: Thu Jul 9th, 2009 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
calcav1

Mana: 

Tim,

The 22nd Annual Slugburger Festival is in full swing here in Corinth. I take it you won't be attending? Disgusting indeed!

http://www.dailycorinthian.com/happenings.htm

Love those little rascals with onions and pickles. Yum!

Tom

Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2009 04:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Shiloh reveals its secrets one at a time. Haven't felt the need to follow Cleburne's advance. Just looked at it and thought NFW. Sunshine patriot here.

Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2009 05:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Wow, Tom!! Slugburgers and an Elvis impersonator!! What am I doing here?! I should be in the Corinth. Timing is everything. Maybe next year.

Sincerely, though, the newspaper article does make it sound like a lot of fun. When I brought my family down there five years ago for the dedication, we had a wonderful time walking around and experiencing the local flavors. Corinth is a beautiful, historic, and fascinating place. I look forward to visiting again very soon (like in a month or so).

Posted: Tue Nov 24th, 2009 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

It's weird hearing people talk nicely about places I grew up.

Perhaps Calcav can help me with something, as well. Regarding the Shiloh markers south and west of the park, not within the boundaries. Who is responsible for the upkeep of monumentation on private land? Why would the gov. put markers on land not in park boundaries to begin with?

Current time is 05:59 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2287 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 25 queries executed.