Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle of Perryville (Chaplin Hills) - Other Western Theater and Trans-Miss. - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 07:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Just wanted to start a general discussion on the Battle of Perryville (Chaplin Hills).

Rants, Raves, Questions and overall discussion on the battle itself or the major figures of the Battle.

Attached picture is of Me (with the confederate Kepi) and my friend Michael Willever ( with the Union Kepi) posing beside one of Parson's 12 pound Napoleon smooth bore cannons on Open Knob.

Attachment: Open Knob.jpg (Downloaded 83 times)

Posted: Thu Jun 25th, 2009 10:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I was there back in 2005 when I was stationed at Ft. Knox for a spell. I thought it was the best preserved state battlefield that I have been to. The visitors center wasn't user friendly, but I think they were getting ready to build a new one. I walked the entire battlefield which I think ended up being about six to seven miles in the July heat, but it was well worth it. I did my research ahead of time so I'm not sure how well the field was interpreted, but I do remember there were quite a few markers out. All in all an enjoyable experience for an under appriciated battle. I think the thing that suprised me most was how the topographical and meterological effects prevented Gen. Buell from understanding that his left wing was under attack for most of the day. Talk about bad reporting from subordinates... Cheers!
-Mark

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 01:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
mike46142

Mana: 

yes, doing your homework does help and will enhance your trip to any battlefield. 

I think the interpretive trail there is about 6 or 7 miles long. 

And, yes, I have also heard that the current visitor is scheduled to be replaced, but not sure when.

I will be there this Oct 3-5 for their annual reenactment.

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 10:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

A whole group of us that post on here were just in Perryville last week.  Some of us visited Richmond also . 

The group that walked the fields with a tour guide hijacked the tour guide basically.  The woman with the truck from the visitors center came to see if they were okay and then took them on the rest of the tour .    Two of us that don't walk as well as the others drove around with Blue and Gray Magazine checking out various sites with the maps from the magazine.  We also had all read Perryville by Noe.  Well prepared for the tour .  Loved both battlefields. 

Richmond was great also .  We had a Blue and Gray magazine for Richmond also.  Was so interesting to visit the cemetery where part of the battle took place.  There is a statue of a Revolutionary soldier that is pock marked from the battle fought in the cemetery. 

Visitors center from Richmond is small but very nice. 

Susan

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 10:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

I heard about the muster too late and wasn't able to attend.
Sounds like a good time was had by all though.

I have read Noe's book a couple times.  It is a really good book about the battle.
A must read for any Perryville fanatic!

I was at home doing some work and getting things ready for the release of our book titled A Dark and Bloody Ground: Sowing the Wind. 
Our book
chronicles the week of October 4 - 7, 1862, when the State of Kentucky lay in the balances as vast foraging armies swept the country side; soldiers from the North and from the South fighting and dying, staining Kentucky’s soil with their blood. The reader witnesses these events through the eyes of seven protagonists, four Southern and three Northern. This novel for the first time brings to life such historical figures as George Thomas, Leonidas Polk, Phil Sheridan and Patrick Cleburne, to name but a few. The events of this week changed the lives of these men and the State of Kentucky forever!

I really like this! It’s much more fun than ‘The Killer Angels.’ It’s a real page turner. It puts you right there.”                                                                                  --Kurt Holman, Manager, Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Yes, Kurt got a chance to read our manuscript.

Our next book will be all about the battle.  We hope to have that one released about the same time next year.

We have a Facebook Fan Page set up for the book.  Our Website won't be up and running until mid-July.

Click HERE to go to our Facebook page and add us as a friend!

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 11:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Henry (Squire) Bottom's farm house stood at the very center of the swirling battle, the Union troops finally being driven off, the house served as a makeshift hospital and it is said the blood stains are still visible, the blood having seeped into the pores of the wood flooring.

Attachment: Picture 006.jpg (Downloaded 74 times)

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 11:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

View from Turner's (CSA) battery position with Open Knob visible in the background. The sign post rising from the hill marks the spot where General James S. Jackson fell dead.

Attachment: 5123_128120176616_125995016616_2860444_5079991_n.jpg (Downloaded 71 times)

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

The Bentonville Road then (ca. 1885). View looking toward Starkweather's Ridge, the Union's second line of defense.

Attachment: 5123_128104221616_125995016616_2860133_6821763_n.jpg (Downloaded 73 times)

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 06:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Perryville is a pretty interesting battle.  A tactical Confederate victory and I think Bragg's decision to retreat was the correct move.

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 09:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Most definitely! Outnumbered, low on provisions, etc...  I'm not sure he had any other choice. 

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 09:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Loomis' (USA) battery position looking out over the "Sink Hole." From here Loomis dueled with Lemsden's Rebel battery the other side of the "Sink Hole."

Attachment: perryville loomis.jpg (Downloaded 65 times)

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 09:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Michael Willever pointing out over the "Sink Hole" toward Loomis' (USA) battery position.

Attachment: perryville sink hole.jpg (Downloaded 65 times)

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 09:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

View from Open Knob. Sunshine glaring from beyond the hilly horizon. Upon these hills the battle raged. From the fenceline in the foreground Maney's brigade (1st, 6th, 9th, 15th, 16th, 27th, 38th Tennessee regiments along with the 41st Georgia) charged up the long slope under the massive artillery fire from Parson's (USA) Battery.

Attachment: open knob.jpg (Downloaded 65 times)

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 09:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

The 42nd Indiana was scattered along the mostly dry bed of Doctor's Creek when Johnson's Confederate brigade attacked. The Hoosier soldiers had to turn their backs on the enemy and climb these cliffs under fire, many did not make it out.

Attachment: 42nd indiana cliff.jpg (Downloaded 64 times)

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 09:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Hope you all are enjoying these pictures!  It's good to see what you are talking about!

Posted: Wed Jul 1st, 2009 10:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

The Bridge over the Chaplin River near Walker's Bend.  The spring rains have the river swollen.

Attachment: Picture 025.jpg (Downloaded 51 times)

Posted: Wed Jul 1st, 2009 10:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

The dry steam bed of Doctor's Creek...This is how it would have appeared to the Hoosier soldiers of the 42nd Indiana. Along the east (right) bank the boys found themselves a fresh water spring and filled their canteens with cool, clear water.

Attachment: doctors creek dry.jpg (Downloaded 48 times)

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 10:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Maverick
45th Alabama Inf., Co. F

Mana: 

Hi mike46142,

Are you still out there ? :)

The photos of Perryville were sterling. Thank you for posting them as they are the first private photos I've seen of the battlefield.

My direct ancestor (great-great-grandfather) was in the battle of Perryville: Left Wing commanded by Maj. Gen. W.J. Hardee, Brig. Gen. Anderson's Division, Col. Samuel Powell's Brigade, 45th Alabama Infantry regiment commanded by Col. Samuel Powell.

The 45th Alabama along with the 24th Mississippi and the 29th Tennessee were formed into line on Edwards House Hill and were ordered to attack westward toward Peters hill; covered by artillery support from Barrett's Missouri Battery. Union batteries 3/4 mile distant annoying the CS lines was their objective. The hilly terrain covered the fact that the 45 Ala./29th Tenn./24th Miss. were attacking the anchored tip of an entire Union division; Sheridna's division.

The three Confederate regiments attacked into 2 distinct lines 300 feet seperating them, came under intense Union battery fire soon as they came into range. But they never wavered. Giving the Rebel Yell, my ancestor's 45th Ala. on the right, the 3 regiments crossed Bull Run Valley and reached the bottom a hilltop covered with a cornfield. The 36th illinois was posted there and quickly fired upon the 45th Ala. and the 24th Miss. yet the Confederates concentrated their fire upon the Union batteries located on the hilltop and advanced forward. Encountering a rail fence at the top of the hill they layed down on their stomachs and began carefully choosing their targets---turning the fence into a "phalanx of sharpshooters." Union reports state the firing was effective and heavy and many Union men fell in the action.

Vastly outnumbered by both infantry and artillery, the 24th Mississippi of Powell finally began falling back, and the 45th Ala. and 29th Tenn. had to do likewise with their left flank now gone.

This was the first major combat my ancestor saw in the war and he and his fellow American soldiers had shown great braveness, resolve and determination. Just a few short months away after the reorginization, the 45th Alabama would be mustered into Wood's Brigade (Later Lowrey's, after Chickamauga) of Cleburne's division and would fight the remainder of the war as Lowrey's brigade, Cleburne's Division, Confederate Army of Tennessee.

Maverick

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 10:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

Yes, Maverick, I'm still out here!

I will be in Perryville for the reenacting weekend on October 3rd and 4th.
This year's reenactment is going to focus on the Peter's Hill action during the battle.

I promise to take alot of pictures and post them!

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 03:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Maverick
45th Alabama Inf., Co. F

Mana: 

Hi Mike,

Glad you are here and have a good interest of Chaplin Hills/Perryville. Being a newcomer to the Board, I'm still searching out fellow Western Theatre fans. :)

If you don't mind me asking---did you have relatives at Perryville, sir ?? :D  I'm wondering out of curiosity is all.

I'm Rebel to the bone and past for obvious reasons, mainly a strong ancestral affiliation, but I'm not into refighting the war, just studying certain battles. I love to familiarize myself with what  transpired on the battlefields that my ancestors' helped fight. It often seems the War Between the States occurred an eternity ago---but in reality it wasn't that long ago.  

I actually have several ancestors that were at Perryville: 3 in the 45th Ala. Inf. and 4 in the 33rd Alabama of Cleburnes Division: 3 surnamed Jernigan and I have a direct link to Colonel Samuel Adams of the 33rd Alabama. (I'm unsure if Col. Adams was regimental commander then or not ??)

It's good to hear the reenactment will focus on Peters Hill. This will see the reenactment on the same ground of my ancestors during 8 October, 1862.

I'm totally physically disabled, so if you would please take any photos of Historical Markers/buildings/lines of battle, etc. that involve the 45th Alabama Infantry I would be very grateful. They would be added to my family history album.

Cheers,

Maverick  

Current time is 12:31 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4631 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 26 queries executed.