Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Not a happy troll... - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 12:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Oh man, can't believe this. We're in the middle of the worst heat wave of the year and the condenser of our central air just died. Not enough cash reserves to replace it. Um, I'm thinking I'm not real happy right now. Yea, I know it's my problem, but where else am I gonna vent....

)(_+_))..#%$#

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 03:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Henry

Mana: 

In most cases I'd sooner slide down a bannister that turns into a razor blade at the bottom than deal with Bankers. It appears to be time to take on some debt via a loan.

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 07:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Maybe you should reconsider and take that trip to Shiloh. It won't fix your a/c but slug burgers and chicken livers (in any form ) must be enough to take your mind off of anything else for a while at least

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Your grandparents lived without HVAC, you can too.

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 03:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

My grandparents lived without an indoor toilet but I wouldn't want to do that either. 

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 06:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Wordpix John

Mana: 

Good News: Uncle Sam has a bailout program for you! He bailed me out earlier this summer. You can get a tax credit of up to $1,500 of the total installed cost IF you buy a qualifying high-efficiency unit. For split-system ACs, the minimum qualifying efficiency is 16 SEER & 13 EER. It's lower for split-system heat pumps and package ACs and HPs. Also... consider getting a system that uses R-410A refrigerant. R-22 systems are about to go out of production. (But the higher efficiency models will probably all be R-410A.)

Tax credit details: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

Last edited on Fri Jun 26th, 2009 06:28 pm by Wordpix John

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wordpix,

Great details, had not heard of that.

Thankfully it won't be needed just yet. Called a different place this A.M. and it turns out the owner lives in my small town of 400 people. He stopped by and gave us the best news possible - it was simply a bad capacitor. That's about the cheapest part to replace and he did so on the spot. It cost $150 compared to about $600 if it had been the fan motor and well over $1,000 (almost $2,000) if it had been the compressor. He got done about an hour ago and it's starting to cool off nicely.

But again thanks for the tip on that program as I think it won't be long before the whole system needs replacing.

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 08:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Wordpix John

Mana: 

Glad your AC was cheap to fix. On the tax credit deal, it's a one-time thing for your 2009 and 2010 taxes. If your AC doesn't need replacing by late 2010, you can get the credit on other energy efficiency improvements that are listed on that Energy Star web site.

Posted: Sat Jun 27th, 2009 04:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Henry

Mana: 

Interesting to note that the tax credits also cover structural modifications to a residence, as well as plug-in Hybrid vehicles. Thanks for this, Wordpix.

Current time is 09:16 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1615 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.