Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Other history favorites - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2009 12:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Although our focus here is primarily Civil War, what other areas of history do you like, know pretty much about, or want to know more about? That could be American history or other history, and any time period.

Pam

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2009 12:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Love the colonial era (Rev. War, etc.) and 20th-century history. Really need to study more on the war of 1812 and the Mexican War.

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2009 07:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

For years all I read of history was English history up to the time of Elizabeth I.  I especially enjoyed the time of the Plantagenets.  Shelves of books on the War of the Roses, Maud and Stephen etc.  Also books on Elizabeth and her times. 

Have always liked the frontier times in American history.  Another whole section of the bookcases are books on Lewis and Clark, the Mountain Men and The Oregon Trail.  Add to that Cowboys and Indians (the real thing). 

I also have a passion for two other periods of history.  Both these come about because of literature.  The first was Americans in Paris in the 20's Hemingway and Fitzgerld .  The other was the Dust Bowl the Depression and the Migrant Farm workers (Okies) who came to California.  I wrote my senior thesis in history on Labor camps in California 1932-34.  My freshman year I wrote a paper on Grapes of Wrath and one on Mirgrant Okies in California. So that has always been an interest.

Greek and Roman history interest me and I have read some but not a whole lot.  One of my favorite books is from that period though.  The Jurguthan Wars. 

I too like Javal would be interested in learning more about the Mexican War and War of 1912.   Add to that more on Colonial and Revolutionary America. Oh dear too many subjects and never enough time.

Susan

Posted: Tue Aug 11th, 2009 12:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Mark

Mana: 

I am most interested in the history early American Republic, say from about 1800 to the end of the Civil War.  It's such an exciting time as the nation starts to spread its wings.  I do some work with the American Revolution as well.  Cheers!

-Mark

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 12:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

For some inexplicable reason I am fascinated with  Depression era gangsters,  interstate bank robbers and their molls. I loved both the movie and the book "Public Enemies." As a teenager I was a big fan of the TV show "The Untouchables."

Also I never tire of WW II history on the History Channel.

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 07:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I like Colonial, Roman, and World War history.  The Middle Ages have never interested me that much.  I want to start reading up on the diaries and memoirs of the common soldier.

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 09:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CoryB
Buford Trooper

Mana: 

I'm a big military history guy so any war/conflict peaks my interest.

Other interests include Ancient Greece and Rome, Ancient Egyptians, and the Middle Ages eras. I also have a strong interest in the incidents that occured in Somalia in 1993.

Posted: Wed Aug 12th, 2009 11:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

World War 1, The Boer War or any naval conflict sparks my interest.

Posted: Tue Aug 25th, 2009 05:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

OK, Fedreb, as a Brit, I think you'll really like this.

My direct ancestor, Charles, and his brother David Churchill owned a well known shipyard in Portland, CT during the War of 1812--built the USS Boxer and Saranac and 2 privateers: Holkar I and II. Through newspaper databases, I've been able to track Holkar I's exploits--5 prizes betw. 11/12 and 5/13 when she was run aground off Narragansett By by frigate Orpheus and HMS Ramilies-36.

In December 1812, I think, Holkar took the SS Emu that had on board 43 women convicts en route to Australia. Capt. John Rowland had the women deposited at Tenerife, Canary Islands and they were picked up 2 months later and returned to England. Maybe another 5 months later the women departed a second time for Australia. On board 2nd ship was a Sir (forgot name) and his steward. The steward fell in love with one of the young women convicts and they married in Australia. I'm now in touch with their gdaughter who has written a book on Emu and the women. So if our Holkar had not captured Emu. . . . Pretty freaky, eh?

CKL 

Posted: Tue Aug 25th, 2009 08:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Great story CKL.
I'm sure those women deserved to be transported to the Colonies, probably got hungry and stole a loaf of bread or something just as heinous. Great British justice at work!

Last edited on Tue Aug 25th, 2009 09:12 am by fedreb

Posted: Tue Aug 25th, 2009 02:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

I've been trying to understand what roles the United States had in Juarez's War of the Reform (1858-1860).  Clearly we were involved both politically and possibly militarily, but to what extent and exactly how seem to remain mysteries!

Current time is 01:09 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3437 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.