Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle of Wilson's Creek (Oak Hill) - Other Western Theater and Trans-Miss. - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 3rd, 2006 04:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Notch
Neutral Revisionist

Mana: 

I read at another site in a post that a particular fellow didn't think that the Battle of Wilson's Creek near Springfield Missouri on August 10, 1861 was a "important" or major battle.

I beg to differ.

It was the second major battle of the war, the first General was killed, a major battle in a deeply divided state, had a 16% casualty rate, it showed the ineffectiveness General John C Fremont, and with a southern victory it provided provided guerrilla bands with a cause celebre for which they subjected the area to years of bushwhacking, arson, raiding and murder.

Was it important? Absolutely. Wilsons Creek offered a glimpse early on of the carnage that was about to be unfolded over the next three years of Civil War.

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

ok standing up for my home state , If i remember right wasn't Wilson' S Creek  were the first US Gen. was killed that makes it important plus the casualty rate. But after reflection is one battlefeild or skirmish site more important than others , if its Gettysburg or Little Blue Ford if men died there its important.

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 08:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Actually, I believe General Robert Garnett was the first General killed in the war on the retreat from Rich Mt. in July, 1861.

Edit: Although in your first post you just say "first general", I see now that you later say "first US General", so nevermind :?

Last edited on Fri Aug 11th, 2006 08:46 pm by javal1

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 09:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Man javal mad me jump made me jump that was quick,, are you bored at work too wait here comes the boss..............

Posted: Fri Dec 8th, 2006 06:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
leaglebu

Mana: 

Wilson's Creek was important also for the fact that it produced future leaders and General's, both north and south, in the years/tear's to come.

Posted: Fri Dec 8th, 2006 06:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
leaglebu

Mana: 

Wilson's Creek was important also for the fact that it produced future leaders and General's, both north and south, in the years/tear's to come.

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
traygreen

Mana: 

The death of Gen Lyon alone makes the battle important to the Trans-Mississippi theater and the war as a whole.  He had shown the ability to lead his men agressively - both at Booneville and in the lead up to and battle at Wilson's Creek.  His ackowledgement that to stay on the defensive in Springfield was to court disaster and to decide to go on the offensive wins him points in my book.

His major short-coming appeared to be logistics, but I think that was the case for many of the commanders at this stage of the war.

BTW - am planning to be out to Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge over Labor Day.

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

traygreen,

Welcome to the board. Just visited your website - what a very cool idea! Hope it takes off for you...

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
traygreen

Mana: 

TY - the Bulge went well and we are full for Normandy this year.  I am hoping to post some pictures here on Monday or Tuesday.  Monday if I come straight home, Tuesday if I stop in Oklahoma for Homey Springs and Cabin Creek.

Actually planning Tennessee Valley in '09 - should start scouting in Nov with a couple of trips.  My brother-in-law used to live in Nashville so hopefully he can help out.

Where in TN are you from?

Last edited on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 09:03 pm by traygreen

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Tray -

I'm exactly 1/2 way between Nashville and Memphis (5 miles from Parker's Crossroads). If there's anything we can do to help out, let me know.

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
traygreen

Mana: 

Definitely will.  We have a rough plan mapped out which will run through the N/S corridor Ft Donelson - Shiloh.  We will be looking to fill up 6-7 days and are always looking for local experts.  One thing that drew me to this board was the number of active members that reference working in  the historical field esp on the battlefields.

I'm new to this boards - obviously.  Mainly post on historical gaming boards & Armchair General, but liked what I saw here so signed up after lurking a bit.

Feel free to contact me on or off board (address on the website) with any thoughts or suggestions you might have.  My brother-in-law has been to quite a few of the stops we are looking at, but most over 5-7 years ago.  We are definitely going to need a couple of site visits to get up to speed.  I have a staff  ride document or two to begin with, but will also need to (my wife would groan) buy some more maps and books and likely spend 2+ weeks scouting over the next year :) - rough work.

Last edited on Fri Aug 31st, 2007 09:29 pm by traygreen

Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2007 03:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
traygreen

Mana: 

Just go back from my Labor Day weekend trip and had a great time.  I will shortly - tody or tomorrow - post some pics from the other stops, but here are a few from Wilson's Creek.

Wilsons Creek - photo taken from the modern bridge by Price's HQ.  The rebel army was camped for about 1 mile along this portion of the creek.

Reconstruction of Price's HQ.  Bloody Hill is in the background.  Wilsons Creek is to the left of the frame.

One of the few memorial's on the battlefield, the marker is claimed to actually be at the site of his wounding earlier in the day while with the 1st Iowa.

Sigel arrived on the high ground in the rear of the photo and to the South.  Placing his cannon on the ridge, he bombarded the rebel encampment then advanced to this position along the wire road.  On Monday, they had a cannon firing demonstration at this location.  I should be posting a movie file in the next couple of days.

Last edited on Tue Sep 4th, 2007 03:13 pm by traygreen

Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2007 07:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

TG.. cool pics and site sounds like a interesting tour glad to see an interest in the western theatre

Posted: Wed Sep 5th, 2007 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tr welcome to the board, brought back memories of my visit to Wilson's Creek.  The two times I have been I have pretty much had the fields to myself. 

You mentioned going a middle Tennessee trip.  Get yourself a copy of Eric Jacobson's For Cause & for Country  about the Spring Hills, Franklin battles.  It is outstanding.  Many of us on here read it before we did a muster there this past June.  We had Eric as one of our two tour guides, the other was Tom Cartwright from the Carter House.  Javal came to the last night of the muster. Was such a treat to meet him and Laurie in person. 

Susan

There is also a new book out of Shiloh many of us purchased last June also .  I have not gotten to it yet to read, but everyone that has raves about it.  Ted Savas published it , I for the life of me right now can't remember the Author, I think it is Cunningham,  Title is Shiloh  .  Hope that is right Someone help with the author and title .

Posted: Wed Sep 5th, 2007 01:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
calcav

Mana: 

Susan,

The book is "Shiloh and the Western Campaign of 1862" by O. Edward Cunningham. He wrote it in 1966 for his Ph.D. but never published it. Former Shiloh Ranger Tim Smith and Gary Joiner edited the manuscript and Savas published it.

An excellent book.

Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 5th, 2007 03:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks Tom, the book is over on the shelf. I bought my copy at Shiloh last June.  I was too lazy to get up and go look.  Hope things are well in Corinth at that wonderful visitors center.  The bookstore there is a good one too .  You would have laughed at the stack I walked out with.  Lady in the bookstore was really nice . No it wasn't Nita, I asked.

Take care,

Susan

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2007 05:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
traygreen

Mana: 

"Shiloh and the Western Campaign of 1862" is excellent.

Thanks for the reference to Jacobson's "For Cause & for Country".  We are in the process of deciding what our next ACW trip will be.

RE Wilson's Creek.  I had a blast.  Was there over Labor Day weekend so there were a few folks around.  Most of the traffic was on the road and the trails were pretty clear.  Walked everything but the cornfield.

You have chosen to ignore ks. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 06:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ks how does one aquire a Natty Fan?  I would love to have one .

Susan

Current time is 04:30 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5241 seconds (32% database + 68% PHP). 29 queries executed.