Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Vick to the Eagles - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2009 11:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
TimK

Mana: 

You're a tough cookie, Joe. That's fine. I understand I'm in the minority. But I'm willing to see if 18 months in prison did what it was supposed to do. I have no love for the Eagles or to Vick, but if the man learned, I'm willing to move on and let him earn a living like every other American has the right to.

As far as the deal - I said forgive but NEVER forget. Big difference.

Posted: Thu Sep 17th, 2009 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Hello folks,

As an avid die hard Eagles fan for 36 years......i live 45 minutes from Philly.......I can tell you that this Eagles fan was disgusted with signing of Vick......yes i can forgive....but that does not mean I have to support them with my hard earned money. I told my friend I will not buy half of his season tickets until they get rid of this fool......and its killing me that I wont be present to give the Cowboys a nice Philly salute.....my middle finger......when the they arrive here in Philly....but I will not fork over one more dime to those idiots running this team.....So instead I purchased a partial game plan for the Philadelphia Flyers upcoming season.....Go Flyers!

Posted: Fri Sep 18th, 2009 06:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
civilwar6165

Mana: 

Its a sad day in sports when a Dog Killer can be forgivin and givin a 2nd chance and yet Pete Rose cant be forgivin for simply betting on a game.  I cant help but wonder if the ole race card comes into play.  There have been several attempts to get rose inducted into the baseball hall of fame,and all have failed, and yet poor old Vick has served his time and deserves a 2nd chance. It seems to me that priorities are screwed up when its ok to injure or kill a living creature  but god forbid you bet on a few games.......

Posted: Fri Sep 25th, 2009 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Reports say Vick will play this weekend against the Chiefs. What do you suppose his reception will be when he enters the game? Will it change any if he scores? What happens if he scores the winning touchdown? Will Eagle fan quit watching when he comes in the game and switch to the Phillies game? Be honest, now.

I still wish him luck and pray the 18 months in prison did what it was supposed to do. That's an awful long time to sit day and night and think about what a despicable person you have been.

Posted: Fri Sep 25th, 2009 11:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

If they do play him it will be for only a few plays, probably in the Wildcat formation so all he has to do is turn around and hand it off. They could have him run, but I doubt it.

Will they cheer if he scores? Of course, just as they would in Denver, Dallas or Tampa Bay. They would most likely cheer if Charles Manson scored the game winning touchdown.

I'm a believer in poetic justice. I hope he DOES score the winning touchdown. And on his way to his Mercedes, or Cadillac or whatever the scum is driving now, I hope a runaway rabid Pit Bull takes a chunk out of his calf. Not enough to be life threatening of course - just enough to end his career, There's nothing I'd like more than to have that piece of trash take my next order for a Big Mac and Fries. I won't tip.

Posted: Sat Sep 26th, 2009 01:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

javal1 wrote:

"I'm a believer in poetic justice. I hope he DOES score the winning touchdown. And on his way to his Mercedes, or Cadillac or whatever the scum is driving now, I hope a runaway rabid Pit Bull takes a chunk out of his calf. Not enough to be life threatening of course - just enough to end his career, There's nothing I'd like more than to have that piece of trash take my next order for a Big Mac and Fries. I won't tip."

If it was poetic justice he'd be serving you a hot dog!

Posted: Wed Sep 29th, 2010 02:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Now that Vick is the #2 QB in the league, and his jersey sales have taken off, do all you Philly lovers still feel the same way? Does great play help with the forgiving, or is the hate for his crimes still on the front burner? Has time and great play softened any firm stances? From 2000 miles away, I see that as long as he wins, Philly seems to be okay with Vick's past. With McNabb coming back this weekend, will there be more cheers than boos?

Posted: Wed Sep 29th, 2010 03:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Unless you can promise me that two rabid pitbulls will gnaw the scumbag's legs during the game, I couldn't care less how the murderous pimple on society plays.

See Tim, my views have softened :D

Posted: Thu Sep 30th, 2010 01:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
TimK

Mana: 

So, just to be clear - are you saying you don't like Vick? "A murderous pimple" - I have never heard a man described like this before. It makes a great visual.

Does this mean you hope McNabb comes home and beats his old team?

Posted: Thu Sep 30th, 2010 02:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I wish McNabb would come in and roll-over the Eagles, but I don't think it will happen. Washington is a case of perpetual turmoil thanks to one of the worst owners in the NFL. A good QB can't do much without competent receivers and a decent running game. But I can still hope.

Posted: Thu Sep 30th, 2010 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Tim, I think you are correct: the Eagles franchise will love Vick as long as he wins games and makes money for them. I suppose this is why they brought him on the team.

I myself, though I am an Eagles fan, don't feel the true measure of a man can be taken by how many yards he gains or touchdown passes he completes. I don't think Michael's true measure is as a football player but as what he does, honestly and without fanfare, off the field. And I'm not too impressed with that aspect of Michael Vick, yet.

I heard a local talk show DJ this morning saying he expects McNabb to get a really good response from the Philly fans. I think Donovan McNabb was well-liked by the fans here, and I don't know how mad they will actually be if the Eagles lose the game Sunday.

Posted: Fri Oct 1st, 2010 03:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
TimK

Mana: 

I understand how you guys feel, and I don't have a strong argument against it. I just feel that the man has been punished, has paid his dues, and I'm okay with it. I don't know how Michael Vick was raised, what his influences were in his formative years, and what kind of guidance he had. What he did was atrocious and horrible, and he got to spend a couple years in jail to think about it while losing everything he earned. He has moved on, has worked hard to regain his life, and has done a very good job at maturing. From what I understand, he spends his off days in high schools talking about what he did and providing the positive guidance he obviously never received. I look at football to entertain me, not for players to be role models, and Michael Vick entertains me.

I'm not the final judge. I wish him well and hope he really has learned from his past evils.

Posted: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010 05:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
ole

Mana: 

We can be forgiving when a repentant butthead redeems himself by winning games.

Call me what you'd like, but I will never see a hero in someone who would treat dogs like that. And it's not just the dogs; it's the insensitivity.

So, okay, he says he's sorry. And he didn't grow up with my father climbing on his butt. I'll give him that. I simply cannot countenance that hurting animals can be a game. Different strokes, I'll guess, but I will never understand why.

I'm not a greener or Peta (People Eating Tender Animals), I like my beef rare and squirming, but bear-baiting, bullfightiing, cockfighting, dogfighting, et alii, just raise my gorge. I find very little to forgive in that sort of activity.

It's one thing to harvest them (have dominion and all that). It's quite another to torture them. Vic has a tall ladder to climb to get back up to where I won't blow snot on him.

Posted: Sun Oct 3rd, 2010 05:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

Ole,
Me too!
I have killed a lot of animals, but I ate each and every one of them... well except for the ones that my wife, kids and neighbors beat me to...:)

anyhow, if it swam, croaked, flew, or walked, I hunted it with a rod or a gun. I have had to dispatch dogs and cats when we lived in the country and it broke my heart...
torture one? My view is that whatever he did to those dogs should have been done to him and I would not have lifted a finger to stop it or shed a tear for him.
Some people are alive solely because it is illegal to kill them...he is one.

Posted: Mon Oct 4th, 2010 12:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I stand by my words. I do not forgive because he wins games and scores touchdowns. I forgive because, as I said before, he admitted his guilt, paid the price, and is now working to get back to the top of his craft. He spends legitimate time talking to kids about his horrible mistakes.

Somewhere back in the late 1700's-early 1800's there was a white kid from Alabama that treated his dogs better than he treated his family's slaves. He had no concerns about the atrocities imposed on these human beings. Many have decided to forgive this kid, calling him a product of his environment and honor his memory. Now there is a black kid from Virginia that one wishes to blow snot on, and another would like to kill if it wasn't illegal. Too bad if he is a product of his environment, too. He will never be worthy of forgiveness.

Maybe Vick is all about the PR. I don't know. He seems to be doing the right things as far as I'm concerned. And like I said - I'm not the final judge. And I don't care one iota about his team. I bleed CU Buffalo black and gold on Saturdays and Bronco orange and blue on Sundays.

Posted: Mon Oct 4th, 2010 12:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

My heart aches.

The dog torturer left the game today with unspecified rib and chest injuries. First reports out of Philly (unconfirmed) are 3 broken ribs. This really does sadden me, as it's not near the amount of pain he put helpless animals through - but I take what I can get.

Tim: Congrats on your Broncos today. Nice win over TN.

Last edited on Mon Oct 4th, 2010 12:14 am by javal1

Posted: Mon Oct 4th, 2010 12:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Aw Joe - I didn't mean to make your heart ache. I laughed when I read that.

Anyway, I got on my soapbox, spewed some dramatics, and then ate dinner.

On a side note, even though we disagree as much as we agree, I sincerely appreciate the opportunity you provide to get on the occasional soap box. And I'm not sure about anybody else, but I read the newswire every day. It is very valuable to me. You are appreciated. I'll donate again soon.

Posted: Mon Oct 4th, 2010 02:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Tim,

Just to clarify - I wasn't making a comment on your post. When I said "my heart aches", I was making a sarcastic comment on the fact that he got injured.

I'm snarky, but not that snarky :)

Posted: Mon Oct 4th, 2010 06:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

TimK wrote: I stand by my words. I do not forgive because he wins games and scores touchdowns. I forgive because, as I said before, he admitted his guilt, paid the price, and is now working to get back to the top of his craft. He spends legitimate time talking to kids about his horrible mistakes.

Somewhere back in the late 1700's-early 1800's there was a white kid from Alabama that treated his dogs better than he treated his family's slaves. He had no concerns about the atrocities imposed on these human beings. Many have decided to forgive this kid, calling him a product of his environment and honor his memory. Now there is a black kid from Virginia that one wishes to blow snot on, and another would like to kill if it wasn't illegal. Too bad if he is a product of his environment, too. He will never be worthy of forgiveness.

Maybe Vick is all about the PR. I don't know. He seems to be doing the right things as far as I'm concerned. And like I said - I'm not the final judge. And I don't care one iota about his team. I bleed CU Buffalo black and gold on Saturdays and Bronco orange and blue on Sundays.

Tim,

I will stand by my words as well. Pleae read my post again and you will see that I never said I wanted to kill him and did not do so solely because it is illegal. While, I have no use for the man, I have never advocated killing him. I merely reflected on the fact that he is so worthless in my view that the only thing that keeps someone from killin him is that it is illegal...now bear in mind that I am from the state where the defense of "your honor, he needed killin" is accepted :)

Posted: Tue Oct 5th, 2010 02:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
LiveVegan

Mana: 

I think the deal is that he was even capable of strangling, beating, shooting, buring alive, and setting dogs on fire. The enjoyment of dogs ripping eachother apart for amusement is bad enough but to imagine a person who is capable of this, does not belong in a position to be a role model.

He says he has changed. I am a PETA member but his actions were dispicable and inhuman to pretty much everyone. But people can change. Did he do enough time? No. Should he be back to recover his life as he left it and play football again? No. But it is what it is. As long as he puts him time into talking other little punk gangster into not dogfighting then I'm ok with it. I don't like him and never will. But what more could he possibly do other then what he is doing to prove he's changed? He's at least trying. And for what its worth, the guy disgusts me, but he can't take back what he's done. He can only move foward. I wish the NFL would have stuck to the rules of ejecting him because he committed a felony...but money always wins.

I'm in no way supporting him or saying I like him. Cruelty to anyone regardless of species is deplorable and unacceptable. But, we have to accept the situation as it is because its not going away. He's always going to be the ruthless dogfighting scumbag who beats and kills animals because they can't fight back. IE, gangster coward.

Current time is 03:24 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4432 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 28 queries executed.