Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

1851 Colt Navy revolver - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 3rd, 2009 03:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ArtChee

Mana: 

I have recently obtained an 1851 Colt Navy revolver. However, it has NO serial number or manufacturer stamped anywhere on the weapon. It is in very good condition = no "dings", pitting, "scars". Just needs a good cleaning.

Could it be that Confederate copies were not given serial numbers or any ID markings?  How does one determine a replica or an original?

Attachment: My1851NavyColt.jpg (Downloaded 65 times)

Posted: Sun Oct 4th, 2009 02:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
19bama46

Mana: 

SHOUTING>>>>>

Do not clean it!  If it is indeed original, you will destroy all or most of its value if you "shine it up".... leave it alone and get an estimate of value and authenticity

Ed

Posted: Sun Oct 4th, 2009 03:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

1. It isn't confederate.

2. I don't believe it to be an original.

3. Look at the cylinder to breech face mating then take some measurements, particularly of the screws, if they're metric they're Italian.

4. Look to a reputable dealer say Lodgewood or College Hill Arsenal for verification. At first glance I would say it's an Italian Pietta but I've been wrong before and am no expert on pistols by any means.

Posted: Sun Oct 4th, 2009 03:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ArtChee

Mana: 

Wow! that is the 2nd warning I have received today to not CLEAN the gun.

Unfortunately, I belatedly shined a pen light down the bore and found that it was plugged (or never through). Also, the cylinder chambers are not fully open that it would accept the charge, plug, and ball. And it appears that the caps are FIXED. THE PIECE IS A NON-FIRING REPLICA. It is merely a display piece, so guess it can be cleaned up.

Thanks for the input.
ArtChee

Posted: Mon Oct 5th, 2009 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

hope you didn't pay too much for it..
and yes, you can clean it to your heart's content, if fact, if you want, I'll be gald for your to clean my '58 Remington replica

Posted: Tue Oct 6th, 2009 12:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ArtChee

Mana: 

Well... as a matter of fact, didn't pay a lot. It came with a 1942 US Army leather holster, which I found on eBay selling for more than I paid for the gun AND holster.

Anyone know what a replica of this 1851 Colt might be worth?

Posted: Tue Oct 6th, 2009 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

ArtChee wrote: Well... as a matter of fact, didn't pay a lot. It came with a 1942 US Army leather holster, which I found on eBay selling for more than I paid for the gun AND holster.

Anyone know what a replica of this 1851 Colt might be worth?

Firing replicas are couple or 3 hundred dollars and up.. from Cabellas, Bass pro, etc...

A non firing replica... I would not pay anything for it, but I think they sell for $40 to $50 IIRC

Posted: Thu Feb 11th, 2010 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
edteach

Mana: 

from the photos it does not have the patina that you would expect of an era pc.

Posted: Mon Sep 26th, 2011 10:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
cdbrown

Mana: 

it looks good thou.

Posted: Wed Oct 24th, 2012 07:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

A couple of quick pointers if you are looking at percussion era colts replica o0 otherwise. Grab the cylinder with your thumb and forefinger on the cylinder just in front of the recoil shields. Check to see how much back and forth play is in the cylinder on the frame. Also with the hammer forward check to see how much wobble is in the cylinder side to side. Take the hammer back to full cock and check that wobble movement again, it should be the same or VERY close to what it was with the hammer forward. Put the hammer at half cock and put the weapon next to your ear,barrel up. Listen to the locking lugs as you slowly turn the cylinder. All should lock in with a good solid click. I always take a penlight with me so when I have the piece at full cock I can check the cylinder to barrel alighnment. This is also checking the timing. If the cylinder chamber doesn't line up with the barrel don't buy it! The space between the front of the cylinder when fully cocked and breech of the barrel should be no more than .014 of an inch. I used to use my credit card to check. Make sure the nipples aren't distorted or flattened. you shouldn't dry fire any percussion revolver. Hope I didn't bore anyone, but iof anyone else has suggestions please let me, know. I'm getting abit older and sometimes things slip away! Thanks.:):)

Current time is 05:15 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4815 seconds (30% database + 70% PHP). 27 queries executed.