Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gallager rifle - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 27th, 2009 02:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Tony B.

Mana: 

Hi all, new member here from the uk. Im a reenacter over here, and have just aquired a Gallager rifle [ser.no 17009], and would love to know any history of its use ,or who it would have been issuded to,if any?. So if anyone out there can help,or know of anywhere I can obtain info on the rifle ,Id be most greatfull.)__Tony.

Posted: Tue Dec 22nd, 2009 10:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
godzila

Mana: 

nice information dude..........

Posted: Thu Dec 24th, 2009 09:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Tony B. wrote: Hi all, new member here from the uk. Im a reenacter over here, and have just aquired a Gallager rifle [ser.no 17009], and would love to know any history of its use ,or who it would have been issuded to,if any?. So if anyone out there can help,or know of anywhere I can obtain info on the rifle ,Id be most greatfull.)__Tony.

There are bunches of websites to help here.  Just google Gallager Carbines.

Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 10:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

first question, does it have a cartridge extractor? The First model does not have one. The later models do. Quite a few Gallaghers were issued to Ohio volunteer cavalry units. the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Ohio were issued Gallaghers and Remington revolvers.

Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 10:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

I've checked the serial number, it doesn't have who it was issued to but a total of 17,782 were sold to the U S Army during the war. so it is a later model, especially if it has the cartridge extractor. The first models were unpopular as they did have hard rubber cartridges. I don't have to say what would happen if the gun heated up and the rubber stuck. Type in Gallagher Carbines on google and several websites/links will come up for you. Hope that helps.

Posted: Tue Oct 23rd, 2012 09:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Tony B.

Mana: 

Hi Darryl, thanks for reply,  I have found out much the same as you since I aquired the rifle a couple of years back, no it has no extraction mech. I've seen also it could take either a paper or metal cartridge and a sort of extracter tool was issued with rifle, which tended to get lost !   my piece has a repaired break in the barrel release lever looks like it jammed up at some time, not the best thing to happen in the heat of battle:X  again many thanks for reply  Tony.

Posted: Wed Oct 24th, 2012 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

You are welcome sir. About 30 years ago, one of the replicia building companies put out a Gallagher carbine. It had a cartridge extractor on it and was about 360 dollars. I have seen two of them in the gun and relic shows I've been to in the 20 years. Not very common. I've never seen an original outside of a museum. Good luck with it.

Current time is 04:55 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3276 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.