Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Talking about Eating - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 11th, 2010 11:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
ole

Mana: 

Fried turkey is well worth trying. Use peanut oil. Ours came out nice and black. We heard several people comment that it was the best turkey they ever had. The only draw back is there are no drippings to make a gravy.
Best turkey ever, but it takes special equipment and a lot more oil than you'd otherwise use in a year. Cost-ineffective. You might use two or three gallons of peanut oil, the sum of which exceeds the cost of the turkey.

But did watch a program on doing it and being careful. Couple days before, Put your frozen turkey in the pot; fill with water to see how much oil it takes to cover. This will avoid overfilling (and spilling oil onto the flames). The talk was of brining for a day. But the point was to never, ever put a wet bird into hot oil. It was also hinted that you loosen as much skin as you can so the brine gets at the meat.

Posted: Thu Feb 11th, 2010 11:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

When you're snowed in like I've been the last two days, nothing beats a good pot roast. I threw a beef roast into the crock pot yesterday morning, along with some whole peeled tomatoes, onion soup mix, white wine, potatoes, carrots,, onions and garlic, and by 6 o'clock it was falling-apart tender. Added a spinach salad and some fresh whole wheat bread with Amish butter. Made for some good protein after shoveling snow all day. Today we ate the leftovers--even better!

Pam

Posted: Thu Feb 11th, 2010 11:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Been snowed in since last Friday, over 43 inches. Sunday italian gravy or chicken catchatori are great comfort foods. Also, great wines help a lot too!!!!!!!
GO SAINTS. HOT BOUDAIN, COLD COUSCOUS, LETS GO SAINTS, PUSH, PUSH,PUSH
Been waiting for this since 67.

Doc C

Last edited on Thu Feb 11th, 2010 11:58 pm by Doc C

Posted: Thu Aug 19th, 2010 02:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
0blacklist

Mana: 

I'm not a so called "tree hugger" but think we here around the chesapeake bay need to do things which could help improve it rather than injure it. One way is for those who live on the water, including me, is to raise oysters in cages off of our docks which will be later harvested and placed in areas of the bay.

Posted: Thu Aug 19th, 2010 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Just finished my second season raising'em. Just wish the state would let me have just one cage for eatin.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Aug 21st, 2010 06:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well it's not savory or sweet but of late I have started cooking lime home fries. Four or five medium potatoes (a little more if their small a little less if their large) and place them in the microwave for about four minutes. This is just to speed up the cooking time, you don't want them to be done when they come out but just started cooking. Cube them and then fry them in butter, about a quarter to a third of a stick. Add salt and pepper to personal tastes (usually I just add a dusting over the top of the whole pan) then stir this in. Take and add the juice of half a lime, a little better I think if you juice it right over the cooking potatoes. And get as much juice out of that half as you can, if a little of the meat of the lime falls in so much the better. Keep flipping/stirring the potatoes until they just start turning a golden brown then add four to six chives, finely chopped and stir them in. Let it cook until golden brown, flipping/stiring, and serve hot.

Posted: Sun Aug 22nd, 2010 12:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I never thought about lime home fries, but I'll have to try it. Right now I've been making everything with tomatoes that I can think of, because it's been tomato weather here in PA. So far, it's been several batches of salsa, tomato sauce, uncooked tomato, garlic, olive and olive oil pasta sauce, tomato pie, stewed tomatoes. . .eventually, it'll be fried green tomatoes, too. Along with the tomatoes it's basil--I've frozen two big batches of pesto already.

That's it--now I'm hungry again!

Pam

Posted: Tue Nov 9th, 2010 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
k.anderson3454

Mana: 

Thanksgiving if fast approaching. So excited.:) All I can think about is the juicy leg of a turkey.:) haha:)

Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2010 12:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

For me it's the turkey liver. My mom makes fantastic giblet gravy but as I was growing up she couldn't follow her family recipe because of my dad. The recipe calls for the liver amongest the rest of the giblets and he's terribly alergic to liver. Something they discovered after they got married. He tried it for the first time and had to go to the hospital because of the hives he broke out in. So every year I got the liver. Fresh roasted turkey liver with just a little salt, no better breakfast on Thanksgiving.

Current time is 09:48 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3648 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.