Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Who would have been the best commander for the army of the potomac?

Who would have been the best commander for the army of the potomac? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2010 03:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

ole wrote: Winging it again, but Couch refused, after Chancellorsville, to ever serve again under Hooker. So he was given the plum assignment of watching over the Pennsylvania district.

Seems he did some good service in the Penninsula Campaign, and in the Maryland Campaign. Other than those, I don't recollect where, other than seniority, he demonstrated any particular ability to run the Army of the Potomac.

Ole

I think Chancellorsville was where the falling out occured between Hooker and Couch.  But according to Furgurson's book, Couch was offered the Union Army but refused because of his health problems.  He did make a recommendation to Washington suggesting General Meade, which did happen.  So goes history.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2010 03:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
spoofseeker

Mana: 

Well all in all Lincoln made the right choice didn't he? Meade took the ground at Gettysburg so I suppose the question is a moot point

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2010 04:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

the question isnt what happened but who you would choose to lead the federal forces

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2010 11:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My apologies, I had Hancock confused with Reynolds in my earlier post. Guess it's my "old timers disease" acting up again.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2010 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Happens every so often to many of us Doc.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2010 11:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

CSA

To end my posting on this subject, under the circumstances Meade was the best and only pick for the commander of the AOP. IMHO, in difference to Sickles and Historicus, he did an outstanding job.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 04:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
peaeyeparker

Mana: 

Hey all,

For me, I guess it depends what time period we're looking at.  Certainly Grant wouldn't have been the commander in '62 that he was in '64.  I'm always curious how far Kearny might have gone if he'd lived.  He might not have been a really skillful general (minus several points for riding right into enemy troops), but he was aggressive.

Adam

Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 06:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Hindsight is always 20/20. Lincolin would not have known anything about most of these suggestions in 1861. I probably would have done what he did--Hallack. Solid and well respected soldier with a good record. Probably the best choice for the job given what the president knew at the time.

Mark

Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Grant would still be my choice. He was as stubborn as a mule. Never gave up. And from what I've read about him he hated defeat. If I was to pick some one off the beaten path. An underdog leader......Pap Green.......old yes, but after what he did on Culps Hill, why not.

Cheers

Old Sorrel 

Last edited on Wed Apr 28th, 2010 08:14 pm by Old Sorrel

Posted: Thu May 6th, 2010 08:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Whyme Two

Mana: 

Politics would have done Grant in early in the war. There really wasn't a man for the job from the start of the war.

Posted: Thu May 6th, 2010 10:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Mark

Mana: 

The other question you have to ask though is do you even WANT your best commander in the East? I confess to still being on the fence as to which theater was the more important...

Current time is 03:51 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Who would have been the best commander for the army of the potomac?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1765 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.