Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Academy Awards - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 5th, 2010 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Every year my wife and I try to see all of the nominated films. Here's my take on this year of great pictures. Unfortunately haven't seen up in the air yet.
Just saw Crazy Heart this week - Bridges should get the best actor. Really enjoyed it and the music, brings back memories of my college days in Texas during the early 70's listening to Willie, Waylon, Asleep at the Wheel, Michael Murphy in the bars of Austin, Dallas, Houston and Waco.
Best picture - hands down, Hurt Locker, was lucky to see it in NYC last summer during it's short run
Best Director - Bigelow
Best Actress - think Sidebe deserves it but Bullock will get it (have seen both Precious and Blind Side)

Doc C

Posted: Sat Mar 6th, 2010 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Well Doc, I think Hurt Locker AND Bigelow deserve it, my guess is that Picture and Director will be split between the ex's - Cameron and Bigelow. One will get picture, the other director. And BTW, if you want a sleeper in some of the categories, watch out for "Precious". Anyway, found this which I found humorous. Pay attention to #3:

10. Marilyn Monroe may have famously sung Happy Birthday to JFK in 1962, but 1953's Best Actress Oscar winning Audrey Hepburn's version was the last one the President ever heard when she sang it for his last birthday in 1963.

9. Theater owners were banned from selling snacks during the run of Ben Hur, 1959 Best Picture. The movie was deemed to be too much of an artistic event to be denigrated by popcorn and candy.

8. 1962 Best Supporting Actress Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker) attended the Oscars with a good luck charm, her chihuahua, Bambi, who was hidden in a bowling bag. Duke's Oscar winning role had only one word, "water."

7. Cliff Robertson originated two roles on TV that were made into films which won Best Actor nominations for his replacements: Jack Lemmon in Days of Wine and Roses/1962, and Paul Newman in The Hustler/1961. Robertson finally won Best Actor himself in 1968 for Charly.

6. Gene Hackman, grabbed his Best Actor Oscar in 1971's The French Connection, but only after the role had been turned down by six others, including Steve McQueen, Jackie Gleason, and columnist Jimmy Breslin.

5. Sacheen Littlefeather, who declined 1972's Best Actor Oscar for The Godfather on behalf of Marlon Brando, was born Marie Cruz in Salinas, California. She won the 1970 Miss American Vampire Competition.

4. The briefest Oscar winning role was Anthony Quinn's Supporting Actor award for Lust for Life/1956. He was onscreen for only nine minutes.

3. Two-time Best Actor winner, Tom Hanks, (Philadelphia/1993, Forrest Gump/1994), is a direct descendant of Nancy Hanks, the mother of Abraham Lincoln.

2. Vivien Leigh won 1939's Best Actress Oscar for Gone With the Wind. For her Oscar-winning portrayal of Scarlett O'Hara, she was paid only $15,000.

1. Alfred Hitchcock was nominated for Best Director five times (Rebecca/1940, Lifeboat/1944, Spellbound/1945, Rear Window/1954, and Psycho/1960). He never won.

Last edited on Sat Mar 6th, 2010 06:34 pm by javal1

Posted: Sat Mar 6th, 2010 07:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Doc J

Thought Avatar was a good film but not, hopefully, best picture. The material/plot line/acting wasn't unique although the technical was groundbreaking. Thus I hope the academy doesn't give it the best picture purely on technical grounds. I agree, Precious is my sleeper also. Just watched Color Purple and was struck at its similarity to Precious. As an aside, which I'm so prone to do, just finished reading Roots. Started out reading it to see if I could glean any geneology info from it (my ancestors were plantation owners in Spotslyvannia county in VA and also in North Carolina. I really enjoyed reading this and later the story of Haley's research into discovering his family's roots.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Mar 7th, 2010 06:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

My husband and I were watching Sunday Monrning on CBS, and the theme was the Oscars. They had a story on Avatar, which I'll admit I haven't seen yet (haven't gotten time). However, it seems to me that, regardless of the quality of the acting, with such technical advances/computer generated images that have been developed in the last 5-10 years, there should be a separate category for those films that owe their success (not necessarily monetarily) to those computer technologies, not straightforward, good old fashioned acting. Somehow, to me, The Hurt Locker and Avatar should not be judged in the same category--their brillance relies on completely different things. Just my opinion.

Pam

Posted: Sun Mar 7th, 2010 07:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I agree. "Up", I thought was a great movie. I think it may have been the best movie I saw last year. But for a reason I can't quite put my finger on, I don't know if it should be in the best movie category.

Posted: Sun Mar 7th, 2010 10:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

153Pa

My point exactly, maybe the academy should creat a new category. How can one compare Avatar with for instance Treasure of Sierra Madre. Impossible. However, I'm bias, didn't care for Titanic that much either. Not a big fan of Cameron, even though Avatar was a good film.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Mar 8th, 2010 12:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Doc,

You nailed it in post #1. I officially designate you CWi's resident seer.

Posted: Mon Mar 8th, 2010 01:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Doc J

Thanks, this year was a nobrainer. However, was expecting/hoping for some surprises. Hardly worth staying up for.

Doc C

Current time is 11:23 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1631 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.