Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

this years ACW road trip... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

This years road trip (first 2 weeks in June) will include:
1. Wilson's Creek
2. Gettysburg
3. Antietam
4. Manassas
5. Richmond
6. Drewry's bluff
7. Appomattox
8. The D-day memorial
9. Franklin(if time permits)

Lodging is already booked but any suggestions re: dining, places of interest off the beaten path, places to do some photography etc. are welcome. And as always I will definitely post a ton of pics when I get home.
I'm particularly excited about Antietam (first time there) and Drewry's bluff (place where my G.G. Grandfather fought), as well as Appomattox.

Man I can't wait to get out there and do some tromping!:D

Posted: Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 08:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

As I am unable to get to the States this year I now have something to look forward to, if your pics are as good as your Chickamauga/Chatanooga ones then we are in for a treat. Good luck with the trip, hope it goes to plan.

Posted: Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Thank you fedreb! I am looking forward to it immensely. I also may get an opportunity to visit the UK next year...if all goes to plan.

Posted: Sun Apr 4th, 2010 01:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Captain no stops between Wilson's Creek and Gettysburg?  Lot to see and cover in two weeks.  Good luck with it .  Sounds like a great two weeks.

Susan

Posted: Sun Apr 4th, 2010 03:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

yep it's a lot of ground. I squeezed Wilson's creek in there to break up the drive...and because it's right off of I-44. There's not much else on my outbound route. Homeward bound holds many more points of interest...Appomattox, D-day invasion memorial, Lee's tomb, Jackson's burial place, and Franklin which is conveniently located at the halfway point between VA and OKC...oh yeah..I'm actually doing all of this over the span of 11 days...not quite 2 weeks...but I'll need a few days to edit pics once I get home.

Posted: Sun Apr 4th, 2010 04:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Sounds like something I would do .  Oh wait something I do when I can.  Been to all but the D Day memorial and even that I drove by . 

Susan

Posted: Sun Apr 4th, 2010 02:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I'm actually stopping there for a friend who's a WW2 buff...well I am too to a small degree...but my primary interest is in the ACW of course. The selling point was when I realized I would drive right by Appomattox to get there LOL!

Posted: Sun Apr 4th, 2010 10:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

current reading/ re-reading/ purchased for trip booklist.

1."Antietam, South Mountain, and Harpers Ferry: A Battlefield Guide (This Hallowed Ground: Guides to Civil War)"

2."Gettysburg--The First Day"Harry W. Pfanz

3.Gettysburg--The Second Day"Harry W. Pfanz

4.Gettysburg--Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill"Harry W. Pfanz

5."THE COMPLETE GETTYSBURG GUIDE: Walking and Driving Tours of the Battlefield, Town, Cemeteries, Field Hospital Sites, and other Topics of Historical Interest"J. David Petruzzi

6. battle at Bull Run: A History of the First Major Campaign of the Civil War. William C. Davis

7.Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas. John J. Hennessy

8.Wilson's Creek: The Second Battle of the Civil War and the Men Who Fought It. William Garrett Piston

9.Back Door to Richmond: The Bermuda Hundred Campaign, April-June 1864. William Glenn Robertson

10. Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam. Stephen W. Sears

Posted: Mon Apr 5th, 2010 01:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Good list .  That should get you though the trip .

I just ordered Artillery Hell about arty at Anteitam.

Susan

Posted: Mon Apr 5th, 2010 09:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

that sounds good too! I better stop with what I have for now or I'll need another week off to read all these books lol!

Posted: Wed Apr 21st, 2010 08:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

My one and only vacation of the year is in June

4 days at Gettysburg

1 day at Monacacy/Antietam

2 days at Richmond

2 days at Petersburg/Appomatx

1 day at Lexington, VMI and New Market (where should I stay?)

1 day tracing John Wilkes Booth escape route

then back to the grind...

Posted: Wed Apr 21st, 2010 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Barlow,

Try the Wingate in Lexington (link here) . I have a friend that stayed there and loved it. Last time I was there I stayed at Best Western and was NOT impressed. BTW, I'd give Lexington 2 days. My favorite Civil War destination.

Posted: Thu Apr 22nd, 2010 02:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Barlow,

Try the Wingate in Lexington (link here) . I have a friend that stayed there and loved it. Last time I was there I stayed at Best Western and was NOT impressed. BTW, I'd give Lexington 2 days. My favorite Civil War destination.

I rarely remember where I stay during my civil war trips as I am only there to sleep. We eat elsewhere and spend the days out gawkin at stuff. A comfortable bed, a clean bathroom, and somewhere outside where we can smoke a cigar and have a snort...that's all we need.. and save money for the important things, like more cigars and bourbon!

Posted: Sat Apr 24th, 2010 11:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
catseye

Mana: 

Captain,

Can you help me with a homework question?

ยท        [size=Can understanding the Civil War provide us with any insight into current issues?  ]What does the book say about many of the issues of the war (race, federal-state power, individual rights) today?  Give evidence from the book to support your answer.

[size=:?Thanks,]

[size=Paula]

Posted: Sat Apr 24th, 2010 04:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Doesn't sound like help.  Sounds like you want him to do your homework.  Which book are you supose to use?   Seems like you should read the book and the answers would be right there.  I know it is easier to ask someone else to do it for you but what will you learn from that ?

Posted: Sat Apr 24th, 2010 07:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Thanks Javal1

While in Lexington, Id like to visit VMI.  I am also writing a coffee table book on The Best College Bookstores and have visited 232 so far.  Does VMI have a nice college bookstore?  How about Old Dominion, U of Richmond, and Washington & Lee? Finally, can one walk the Field of Lost Shoes?  thanks for your help and see you on the road.

Posted: Sat Apr 24th, 2010 07:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Catseye:-What book are we referring to? I'm always happy to help someone understand the relevance of The War between the States within the context of current events. And I am always surprised and honored when someone finds my meager knowledge of history to be useful. But as Susan mentioned above your best choice is to do the work assigned to you and draw your own conclusions...otherwise you'd just be repeating whatever opinions some anonymous person on a message board gave you.....not that I mind giving opinions, as anyone here will attest to LOL!

Last edited on Sat Apr 24th, 2010 07:39 pm by Captain Crow

Posted: Sun Apr 25th, 2010 12:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

Barlow wrote: Thanks Javal1

While in Lexington, Id like to visit VMI.  I am also writing a coffee table book on The Best College Bookstores and have visited 232 so far.  Does VMI have a nice college bookstore?  How about Old Dominion, U of Richmond, and Washington & Lee? Finally, can one walk the Field of Lost Shoes?  thanks for your help and see you on the road.

While at Lexington, you MUST visit VMI. Not only to see the Jackson museum, but also the George Catlitt Marshall museum as well as the display of CMH honorees who were VMI graduates. It is a magnificient place. Have a cadet take you on a tour, you will NOT be disappointed... If you want to walk to the Field of Lost Shoes, you are in for a hike... New Market is quite a distance from Lexington, ...it is on my list to visit next trip..

Ed

Posted: Sun Apr 25th, 2010 01:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Here is what is happening in May that one needs to see.

The Battle of New Market.

http://www2.vmi.edu/museum/nm/reenactment/reen%20announce.htm

Posted: Mon Apr 26th, 2010 06:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Sounds like a good time Captain Crow. I dont know how much time you want to spend at each site, but there is a nice driving tour that starts at Petersburg and follows Lee's army to Appomattox. If my memory is correct its 25 stops along the way. Some are short stops some are more preserved like Sailors Creek Battlefield. The driving tour will take you a day and Appomattox will be a day.

If you want to podcast your tour go to:  http://www.civilwartraveler.com/EAST/VA/va-southside/retreat.html

Or you can buy the CD and maps at the Petersburg Battlefield Store.

At Gettysburg may I suggest a nice period dinner at the Farnsworth House, the game pie is out of this world.

http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com/farnsworthhousegettysburg_014.htm

Current time is 09:40 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5155 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.