Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Not a fun time in TN - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun May 2nd, 2010 11:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wow, these last two weeks have been miserable here in TN. Last weekend it was tornadoes. Today, we're prisoners in our house! After 15 1/2 inches of rain over the last 2 days, all roads in all directions are totally underwater. I tried to get to Parker's Crossroads today to check damage, but it was impossible. Couldnt get through due to flooding.

Franklin got hit hard - to the extent they had to open shelters. Between this and the gulf coast oil disaster, I have the feeling CWi will be busy reporting the consequences of the two. Hope our friends in TN and Miss. are getting through it alright.

Posted: Sun May 2nd, 2010 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Doc J

I'm sure your Tennessee got hit hard but my homeland of La is going to be devastated. If the oil slick comes in like it's supposed to do, there will be no crabs, shrimp, oysters or other wildlife in that rich area. Currently going down to Mobile to visit my daughter next week. We're signed up unfortunately to help clean the wild life down there. Hopefully won't have much to do.

Doc C

Posted: Mon May 3rd, 2010 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Understand Doc. Sometimes it seems like the rest of the country has already written Louisiana off. Commercial and recreational fishing has already been banned. I'm afraid that people still don't see what an economic disaster this is. The truth will hit home when the slick enters Mobile Bay, Biloxi and Gulfport, Pensacola, etc.

Best of luck to both you and your daughter. All projections are showing Mobile Bay to be in the center when it comes ashore.

Posted: Mon May 3rd, 2010 12:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

This could be worse than katrina. As the news media has reported, La is the biggest seafood supplier in the lower 48 states. My advice for you shrimp lovers out there is buy all you can get your hands on and freeze them. Hopefully the SC and NC shrimpers won't be touched. However, I've seen that this disaster can potentially move via the gulf stream through the Keys and up the east coast.

Doc C

Posted: Mon May 3rd, 2010 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

People also fail to understand how much damage Ivan did to Mobile, Pensacola, etc, the year before Katrina. My townhouse in Gulf Shores, Alabama was 75% destroyed by it and people are just now getting over that one. However, if you choose to live on the gulf coast you have to expect hurricanes and the havouc which they can bring.

Posted: Mon May 3rd, 2010 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Last edited on Mon May 3rd, 2010 12:51 am by Doc C

Posted: Wed May 5th, 2010 02:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: People also fail to understand how much damage Ivan did to Mobile, Pensacola, etc, the year before Katrina. My townhouse in Gulf Shores, Alabama was 75% destroyed by it and people are just now getting over that one. However, if you choose to live on the gulf coast you have to expect hurricanes and the havouc which they can bring.

Doc,

I am from Florence in the norhtwest corner of the state. I fish the Tennessee river often and I was amazed by the devistation to the forests from Ivan.... That was one powerful storm to have caused the damage it caused 250 to 300 miles north of landfall. I did get to Mobile/ Gulf Shores the following summer (Biloxi area as well) and could see in GS the damage. Fortunately I got to see Beauvoir and the gorgeous homes along the hiway one last time before the devistation of Katrina.

Ed

Posted: Thu May 6th, 2010 03:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

The Nashville Area Red Cross is accepting donations to support its relief efforts. Donations can be made at  NashvilleRedCross.org.

Posted: Thu May 6th, 2010 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Just Checking in.. I need to do it more often.. I am high and Dry and didnt suffer any damage from the flood.. I did get blocked in my appartment complex because oh high water for about a hr. but that is nothing..  Cousin Doc I hope all is well with you and will keep LA and coast in my prayers

Regards

Last edited on Thu May 6th, 2010 05:21 pm by Steven Cone

Posted: Mon May 10th, 2010 05:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Steve and Joe glad to know both of you are okay.  Any report on Parker's Crossroads yet?   I visited that site when I went to the Spring Hill muster. 

Susan

Posted: Tue May 11th, 2010 03:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

Howdy,

Any word on when the Ryman and the Opry House will be back in business? I hear the Opryland Resort is under 6 feet of water. Man what a disaster. I've seen pics of the Nashville area, what devastation.

My wife and I are planning to visit Nashville next May and we're wondering if everything will back to normal after seeing all of this. We visited Nashville 4 years ago on our honeymoon. We had such a great time we told ourselves we would go back in 5 years. Well it will be 5 years next year, I hope we can go.

You guys in Tennessee take care.

Cheers

Posted: Wed May 12th, 2010 12:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
csharris

Mana: 

The Ryman was not affected by the flood and remains open.  They held the Opry there this past weekend.  However the "New" Opry House by Opryland Hotel will probably not reopen for several months.  I think they are thinking maybe by the end of the summer.  The Hotel is not looking to take reservations until at least October at the earliest.

The Saturday of the flood I saw something that 30 people were evatuated from Carnton House as it is fairly close to one of the rivers that really flooded but I haven't been able to find out if the house or cemetery suffered any damage.

Last edited on Wed May 12th, 2010 12:01 am by csharris

Posted: Thu May 13th, 2010 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Back from Orange Beach, best time to go before the heat and crowds. No oil but that depends on the winds. As of now, looks like it's going in the worse possible direction - west of the Mississippi River into the Louisiana estuaries.

Current time is 10:19 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2034 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.