Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

James black bowie knife - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 19th, 2010 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ce9964

Mana: 

I have just bought a bowie knife that I believe is a james black. The only issue is that the marking has been scratched off. I have heard that there is an acid that may reveal that marking. If anyone could help me with some info about this i would be very thankful. Thanks in advance for any help

Posted: Thu May 20th, 2010 11:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm not certain what part of the country you're in but you have a couple avenues of approach. And there are other methods to include paying a professional appraiser.

One is your local or state Historical Museum, some are willing to do that kind of work for a minor fee as it brings them in some coin. Be prepared to wait a while for the work.

Option two is actually your local PD, many times their crime lab will do such work, again for a fee, which they do as training. I've had a knife fully analyzed that way and it cost me $120-150 IIRC. I simply went in and asked to speak to a Detective, explained what & why I wanted a particular analysis done and I was passed onto their Criminal Investigation Forensics crew. They have an enormous back log so once again expect a good long wait. At the time I was told they would let me know when they had a new hire and it would be used as a kind of prelim or OJT test. The supervisor was quite cool about it. Took about a year, but I have a cast iron guarantee that the "Arkansas Tooth Pick" I bought for $40 dates to the 1860's +/- 20 years. And the maker mark & date stamp on the tang are legitimate. I now have a $1000 knife instead of a $40 knife so IMO it was well worth the wait.

Good Luck

Posted: Thu May 20th, 2010 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ce9964

Mana: 

Thank you for the info. I will attempt to find one or the other and see if they would be interested.

Current time is 01:57 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1434 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 25 queries executed.