Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

My first trip to Gettysburg - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun May 30th, 2010 10:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

First off, thanks to everyone with their tips and suggestions.

All I can say is WOW!!:shock:

There were 2 things that really stand out:

1) No matter how many books, maps & documentaries you study, one has no idea how VAST this battlefield truly is until they see it in person.  I was just amazed at the size and suddenly understood how hard it was to move men & equipment around that place.

2) For a place of tremendous violence, I was struck by the beauty & peacefulness of the area.  I felt the same way when I visited Little Big Horn.

Having a personal guide was the BEST money spent.  One of the posters recommend Joe & that is who we had.  It was just delightful and really put the battle into prespective for my wife & I.  I was like a kid on Christmas morning as he drove us past places I had read about and now saw for real.

Personally, I enjoyed the new museum at the battlefield.  I understand some of the comments many of the "hard core" Gettysburg historians have discussed, but I felt, as a first time visitor, that it gave a good overall view of the war, as well as showing one the stories and items of the 3-day battle.

I was amazed that the cyclorama is still standing after reading about the various attempts in the past on fixing it.  I was very impressed with the artwork and presentation.  I especially liked how they created the border that blended into the cyclorama to give you a feeling of really being there.

Do think they need to remove the old cyclorama building.  It really does not serve a purpose anymore and is more important to give visitors a fell of what the land was really like back in 1863.  Standing there now, it just looks shabby and takes away from the history of the area IMHO.

Along those lines, I am very happy with the efforts of the NPS to restore the battelfield to what it looked like back at the time.  I think it is a great idea.

Wish I had spent more time in town & around Culp & Cemetery Hill.  But that is a good excuse as any to go back.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Posted: Mon May 31st, 2010 02:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Problem  with the old building it is in a dispute about it's historical value as a piece of architecture designed by a leading  architect of the 50's .  They are fighting to preserve it . 

Posted: Mon May 31st, 2010 05:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Michael F. Blake

Mana: 

Yeah, my guide said that it's in court, but they (the folks who want to keep it) will probably lose.

Posted: Tue Jul 13th, 2010 07:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CameronsHighlander

Mana: 

Gettysburg is nice but I actually enjoyed my Trips to Antietiam and Shiloh even more.  The Town of Gettysburg (now City) has capitalized on the Battle that resulted in thousands of deaths. Antietiam is what I imagine Gettysburg looked like befor it had become a Tourist Attraction. Shiloh is way out of the way and you can get a real feel of the Battle a sence of the peace of which the name means but you know it was the sight of a Major Battle.  Personally I'd like to see the City of Gettysburg go back to how it looked in 1863 but I know it's Impossible.

Posted: Tue Jul 13th, 2010 07:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

It's been a month since I was there and miss the Yuengling Beer.

Posted: Tue Jul 13th, 2010 09:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Gettysburg is still one of my top 3 in spite of the crowded, touristy conditions.
But I'm thinking Corinth/Shiloh will be my Fall excursion this year.

Last edited on Tue Jul 13th, 2010 09:42 pm by Captain Crow

Posted: Tue Jul 13th, 2010 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Barlow wrote: It's been a month since I was there and miss the Yuengling Beer.

Don't mention that to Ole. . .He doesn't know good beer if it hit him. ;)

Pam

Posted: Wed Jul 14th, 2010 04:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
LiveVegan

Mana: 

Next time invite me. :P

Posted: Wed Jul 14th, 2010 10:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

pamc153PA wrote: Barlow wrote: It's been a month since I was there and miss the Yuengling Beer.

Don't mention that to Ole. . .He doesn't know good beer if it hit him. ;)

Pam
True that pamc...he actually GAAKKKed over the mere mention of it in another thread.:D

Current time is 12:16 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1612 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 29 queries executed.