Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Union Soldier in Battle by Hess - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 24th, 2010 08:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
blueshawk1

Mana: 

My favorite type of CW reading is first hand personal accounts, diaries, letters, books that were written by people after the war who lived it, but even in those books, you rarely hear good descriptions of battle, all too often they pass over the actual battle.
I know there's reasons for that, but I would also like to read more about actually being in the midst of the fray.

Well, I I read this book, "The Union Soldier in Battle" by Hess, so far it has been the best at describing what it was actually like in the midst of the fray and what soldiers were thinking and feeling before and after. I didn't say during because often they were going on adrenaline, no time for thinking, which may be why so many couldn't write about it, but I knew some had to written some things.

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 01:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Hess is a superb historian... one of my favorites. If you want another great book by him try The Rifled Musket in the Civil War.

Mark

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 01:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
blueshawk1

Mana: 

Yes, in looking up reviews for the book I got of his, I saw some general comments about his books - all favorable. I'm sure I'll be reading some more.

Posted: Sat Jul 16th, 2011 07:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Just got this book from Amazon. I've read the first two chapters and it is definitely a good read. The Union soldiers describing the sounds of battle is very interesting.

You have chosen to ignore buffelf001. click Here to view this post

Current time is 09:49 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3173 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.