Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

My Civil war vacation pics for 2010 - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 26th, 2010 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

As promised here are this year's pictures. I had to make some decisions along the way about what to see in the allotted time...some places were skipped...others added. All in all it was another excellent trip. A quick perusal of my pics will reveal that several spots on the battlefields were omitted. There are no shots of Culp's hill because..to put it nicely...there were too darn many schools kids wandering around at the time I was there, so I wasn't able to get any worthwhile  shots. Also there are no Confederate perspective Pickett 's charge shots...I simply didn't spend much time on the subject this trip...blame Pfanz's books...I was far more interested in 1st and 2nd day areas. Antietam while immensely interesting historically proved to be somewhat underwhelming photographically....but I did the best I could while fighting off hordes of gnats....gasp! Anyway I hope you enjoy this years pics.

Antietam:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Antietam%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Appomattox Courthouse:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Appomattox%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Lexington VA:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Lexington%20VA%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Harper's Ferry:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Harpers%20Ferry%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Wilson's Creek:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Wilsons%20Creek%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Gettysburg:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Gettysburg%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I'm so jealous! The closest thing I saw of the Civil War this year was trees in Sequoia National Park named for Grant, Sherman and Lee... Oh well. I'll be back east in a couple years!

Mark

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 12:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Absolutely marvelous.  Thanks for the photos.

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 07:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Glad you had a great trip Captain and thanks for sharing the photos.You really have some superb pictures there, great perspective

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 08:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Great Pictures, thanks for sharing Captain. Loved them all.
Susan

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 12:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Great Pictures Captain.  One of the best of Burnside's Bridge Ive seen.

Wouldn't you have liked to take a camera into the Lee Chapel?

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

oh I did...but photography is not allowed so it stayed in the case out of respect. That place is beautiful.

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
blueshawk1

Mana: 

Great pictures! Thank you for sharing those.

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Great pics but beg to differ on the underwhelming nature of Antietam. The sunken road there never ceases to amaze me both visually and photographically.
Also, the view of Burnside Bridge from the CSA side is also inspiring.
Doc C

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 12:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Number Nine

Mana: 

Great photos, I havn't been able to get out tromping this summer. Thanks for sharing your tour.

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 10:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Doc I'm sure many people here would agree with you re: Antietam. I feel that there are fewer obvious landmarks that are both historically significant and artistically inspiring at Antietam. After the bridge and of course bloody lane.....? Different strokes I guess. Keep in mind I approach these places from more of an artistic point of view. Some things may move me emotionally...but unless I can find a way to translate that feeling into an image it ends up just another picture of a field/bridge/monument etc. Of course my relative inexperience as a photographer comes into play as well. I've only been serious about photography for a year or so....perhaps next time I go there I'll see it from a different perspective. Heck it took me 30+ years to become a decent songwriter/musician so I figure I'll get there eventually...probably about the time I retire LOL!

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 10:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Agreed, it's in the eye of the beholder. One of my favorite sites is the view from the Antietam visitors center east toward the south mountains. Also, the view looking up the Hagerstown Pike north where one of the cw's firtst battlefield photos were taken, of dead Louisiana soldiers along the wooden fence.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2010 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

and strangely enough Doc the pics I took at Antietam are currently some of my favorites...the clouds of gnats that reside there however are not to be believed...and there is something in the MD air that I am extremely allergic to..breathe in gnats...sneeze them out again.....nice.

Posted: Tue Jun 29th, 2010 02:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Thanks Number nine! I try to post my pics every time I take a trip so others can take a trip too....if only in their heads. If I am fortunate enough to be able to go to all these amazing places the least I can do is share. I'll probably do something in the Fall as well.

Current time is 07:33 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1921 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.