Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Knoxville - Other Western Theater and Trans-Miss. - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 22nd, 2006 02:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Coy

Mana: 

Just read the article about the Battle of Knoxville.  The author mentions that Knoxville was not like the great batles of Gettysburg, Antietam, and Chancellorsville.   Jeezum.  Chickamauga not 100 miles away and he mentions those skirmishes and affairs in the east.   Sigh, it never ends.

Kevin Coy

Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2006 03:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Isn't it funny how some people think that the Civil War only took place in Virginia and Gettysburg.  I live in California .  I am learning everyday about events that took place here that had to do with the Civil War.  WE didn't have any battles but were very involved. 

Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2006 05:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
57oh

Mana: 

It never ends Coy! :) Knoxville is further "Easternized" by the mention of Longstreet! :) They ran around out East playing "I'm gonna get your Capital before you get mine" and really never accomplished anything other than death and politics! Oh well, as much as I hate it, it helps keep the interest alive! Rosecrans, Sherman, Grant, Chick/Chatt, Vicksburg, Frankin, Atlanta, Nashville, Perryville~~~Oh well. :) Have a good one!

Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2006 11:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Preach it Brother Coy!! :cool:

When I lived up in Pa., I had one battlefield to visit - a 1 1/2 hr. drive to Gettysburg. Here in W. Tn. I'm surrounded by Shiloh, Corinth, Franklin, Nashville, Stone's River, Fort Pillow, Fort Donelson, etc., etc. Yet one guy here actually looked at me with a straight face and asked why, considering what we do for a living,  I would leave an area so "rich in Civil War history" to move here where there's nothing!

Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2006 12:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Joe , you should see the looks on people faces when I say I am a docent at the only civil war site left in southern califonria.    They say with straight face oh but the Civil War was in the east .  Then I tell them about the battlefields in Arizona and New Mexico and their jaws drop.  What's even funnier is they assume Fort Tejon is a Civil War site.  It was closed when the war started, the troops and the camels sent to Drum Barracks here in Wilmington where I am a docent.  Everyone knows the name at least of Fort Tejon as they drive by the sign and the buildings on the way up the interstate to Bakersfield from Los Angeles. 

Northern Califonia has Fort Point. that building seen in pictures of the Golden Gate under the left footing of the bridge.  It is a fort very much in the style of the forts on the east coast such as Sumter . 

There are other sites where the buildings arent there anymore but never the less were part of the Civil War.  I found the site of a fort in Visalia established as the town was very much a hotbed of Confederate support.  The soldiers finally had to march into town and destroy the priniting press to keep it from printing pro southern articles.  So much for freedom of the press.

Alcatraz according to friends that have done presentations on Albert Sidney Johnston and Eiza has Civil War connections .  They talked the park rangers into showing them the fortifications there.  

There is also the site south of San Francisco on Lake Meced where the Broderick Terry duel took place.  A duel related to stands on the Civil War .  Broderick was a senator from California .   There is Civil War history here, it just is harder to find. 

As to where you live Joe, I can't wait to get back there and see some more of it . I love Shiloh.  I only saw a little of Stones River.  Because I was new at Civil War I drove right by Franklin . Now having read four books on the battle and Cleburne I can't wait to get there and see it . 

Anyone coming to Southern California come to the Drum Barracks in Wilmington near Long Beach and San Pedro.  If you come down here on a Wednesday I will give you a tour. 

Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2006 11:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

In about a year or so, I'm gonna be leaving the northeast for good after a job and career of almost 30 years here.  We're looking ahead for a place to retire to and some of the prospects are East Tennessee (Knoxville region, perhaps), Virgina (Lynchburg area) or the Carolinas.  I made my first trip to TN last year and had a great time of it.  In a way, it reminded me a lot of VA in that nearly every little town had it's own very interesting history lesson - a great many of which have to do with the CW era.   I love the Smoky Mountains - staying out of the way of the tourist path might be a chore, though.  We shall see....

Jon B. (connyankee) :)

Current time is 10:46 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4507 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.