Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Just Rambling - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 04:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o’clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet but there is still time for it not to begin against that position and those circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armistead and Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time with all this much to lose and all this much to gain: Pennsylvania, Maryland, the world, the golden dome of Washington itself to crown with desperate and unbelievable victory the desperate gamble, the cast made two years ago....

William Faulkner, Intruder In The Dust”

Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 04:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

To bad Faulkner forgot about Trimble and Pettigrew.

Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010 06:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Good Lord! Faulkner needed to learn how to use punctation. My high school english teacher would have failed me if I tried to turn in that sentence...

Mark

Posted: Sun Jul 4th, 2010 04:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CameronsHighlander

Mana: 

A lot of people forget Judson and Issac.  And Pettigrew did get to the wall first

Posted: Sun Jul 4th, 2010 06:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

J. K. Marshall, moved up from the 52nd NC to command Pettigrews Brigade, was killed at the Emmitsburg Rd. during the P-P-T charge. One of these days I need to go there for July 1-3 but just can't push myself. It's just so nice being there in the spring, fall or winter when the crowds are down. Once walke the P-P-T charge in early spring and couldn't see a soul except those of the deceased.

Doc C

Current time is 01:45 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3016 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.