Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Greatest Generation ? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 3rd, 2010 01:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
rjh57

Mana: 

Broadcast journalist Tom Brokaw wrote in his 1998 book "The Greatest Generation" that the generation who grew up in the United States during the deprivation of the Great Depression, and then went on to fight in World War II is "the greatest generation any society has ever produced." I strongly disagree with him. I believe those who were born in the first half of the 19th century (circa 1820-1845) and fought in the American Civil War - North and South - to be the greatest generation this country has ever produced. Agree or disagree?

Bob H.

Last edited on Fri Sep 3rd, 2010 02:00 am by rjh57

Posted: Fri Sep 3rd, 2010 02:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
HankC

Mana: 

Not sure about the 'greatest generation' but they certainly are the 'richest generation'.

My cynical side thinks Ambrose, Brokaw, and others, are keen on tapping into that wealth.

If I ever run for office, this post will probably haunt me ;)

HankC

Posted: Fri Sep 3rd, 2010 03:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
rjh57

Mana: 

I'm sure the book made Brokaw very popular with his so-called "Greatest Generation" and boosted the ratings of NBC's Nightly News broadcast. Dan Rather and other TV broadcasters wrote simlar books shortly afterward. Who the hell put Brokaw in charge of choosing our greatest generation? Other than fight WW II, what much-needed domestic social changes - civil rights, environmental protection, women's liberation, ... - did "The Greatest Generation" accomplish? Sheez, is there anything these media personalities will not do for ratings?

Bob "I thought the 1960's generation was pretty good" H.

Posted: Sat Sep 4th, 2010 04:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Actually, it wasn't Brokaw who first called that generation the Greatest Generation. The term was first used by William Strauss and Neil Howe in their book The Fourth Turning to describe the British generation of that period. Their term for the American generaition of that period was the G.I. generation. Brokaw's use of the term should be noted as his opinion, though so many have taken it beyond that point.

And according to Strauss and Howe, those born from 1820 to 1845 would have been part of the Transcendental Generation (1792-1821), the Gilded Generation (1822-1842), and the Progressive Generation (1843-1859). Going by their book, the Silent Generation (1925-1942) would have also seen some of it's members involved in WWII, though they would have been among the youngest and would have entered late in the war unless they lied about their age.

Last edited on Sat Sep 4th, 2010 04:25 am by Hellcat

Posted: Sat Sep 4th, 2010 06:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
rjh57

Mana: 

Hmm, interesting. More on the work of Strauss and Howe at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss_and_Howe

Bob H.

Posted: Sun Sep 5th, 2010 01:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

Hellcat wrote: Actually, it wasn't Brokaw who first called that generation the Greatest Generation. The term was first used by William Strauss and Neil Howe in their book The Fourth Turning to describe the British generation of that period. Their term for the American generaition of that period was the G.I. generation. Brokaw's use of the term should be noted as his opinion, though so many have taken it beyond that point.

And according to Strauss and Howe, those born from 1820 to 1845 would have been part of the Transcendental Generation (1792-1821), the Gilded Generation (1822-1842), and the Progressive Generation (1843-1859). Going by their book, the Silent Generation (1925-1942) would have also seen some of it's members involved in WWII, though they would have been among the youngest and would have entered late in the war unless they lied about their age.

Lied about their age... that is exactly what my uncle did... and quit HS to join the Navy... Stellar career in the navy, then a magnificient career as a forrester..

my dad, born 1922, joined the Army in 1939  and served until 1974.

I don't know about the greatest generation, but they were special!

Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2010 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

They certainly were special, bama. My dad was 35 in 1942, and he had six kids and was a farmer.  He got a nice letter from the SSS saying he was better off growing oats and they didn't need his scrawny body all that bad.

But I had the great good fortune to know some who served then. The guy from the 101st who jumped behind Normandy. The Ranger who climbed the cliffs and the grunt who marched from Anzio to Pilsen. I do like to think we still make their kind.

Last edited on Sat Sep 11th, 2010 07:56 pm by ole

Posted: Sun Sep 12th, 2010 02:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

Yea me too!

Posted: Sun Sep 12th, 2010 12:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Ole and Bama, I promise that we do still make their kind: take a look at the story behind the newest kid getting the MOH.

Posted: Sun Sep 12th, 2010 12:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Ole and Bama, I'm sure we do still "make them that way." Take a look at the story behind Sgt. Giunta, the newest kid getting the MOH.

Mark

Current time is 02:14 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2472 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.