Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Researching Geneology - Where to begin & how to get started - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 05:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

I didn't see a topic on this, or I may have just missed it, but I do have a question concerning tracing one's ancestors.

Talking with my Mother-in-Law I discovered that one of her great-grandfathers served with the Confederate army and a Great-Uncle (or something like that, it was his brother in any case) served with the Union army.  Now, we don't know the first names of these two gentlemen, only that they came from the area around Romney (W)Va.  Her father (My wife's grandfather) pointedly did not care for anything that happened in the past so if he knew, he took it to the grave with him.   I was wondering if anyone out there would have any idea on how in the world we could narrow this down a bit.  She'd really like to know, and so would I.

Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

First, if you know their names, you may get their Service Record (the cost for each is $17.00). This will tell you where they enlisted, etc. This website should help you do that http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html and this site for ordering records http://www.archives.gov/research/order/index.html

For a quicker, more informal approach, albeit it has WAY less information, it is interesting, use this website http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.htm

I hope this helps!!

Albert Sailhorst, Cannoneer, Scott's TN Battery

Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 07:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CWgal

Mana: 

Tim, I may be able to find something for you at the Chattanooga library. They have CSA service and pension records for most southern states and the service records for the Union.  You will have to contact the National Archives at the link given above for Union pension records.

Email me at ECM777@aol.com with the names and as much info as you have and I will see what I can find for you.

Colleen aka CWgal

Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2006 07:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Hey CWGal!

If you get the chance, I'd appreciate any info on Albert Sailhorst.

He was a sergeant in Scott'ss TN Battery, Confederate. I have his service record, but it is confusing, as it has him dying in Selma, Alabama, then, dying again in a hospital in Chattanooga......I don't know where he came from, his family status, etc...

I portray him as a reenactor, and I'd like more info on him.

Thanks!

Albert Sailhorst, Cannoneer, Scott's TN Battery

Last edited on Mon Mar 27th, 2006 07:15 pm by Albert Sailhorst

Posted: Tue Mar 28th, 2006 03:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Thanks to both of you for responding.

My Mother-in-law is checking to verify if we have any additonal biographical information, but right now all I have is the surname (Powell) and that they were from Romney, VA (or WVA now.)  I will send you an e-mail when I know more.

Posted: Thu Mar 30th, 2006 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CWgal

Mana: 

Albert, I will be glad to see what I can find. It is possible that his family filed for a pension. I hope so, because the pension records are loaded with personal information.  Email me with any more information that you might have.

Colleen aka CWgal

Posted: Thu Mar 30th, 2006 05:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

CW,

Thanks!!

I couldn't find a pension application for Tennessee....He was recruited in Memphis, for Bankhead's Battery, in early 1861. When Bankhead got promoted and went to Texas, the battery was commanded by Capt. William Scott, so it became Scott's Battery. A good portion of the men that enlisted came from Arkansas, some from Mississippi and some from Tennessee; so, he could have lived anywhere......His Serrvice Record does not indicate where he lived prior to the war.

Thanks again!

Albert Sailhorst, Cannoneer, Scott's Battery

Current time is 12:56 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1594 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.