Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lt Col. James Thaddeus Cearnal - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 12th, 2010 04:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ASefton

Mana: 

i am new to the group. I have recently found a reference to my ancestor, James Thaddeus Cearnal as serving at Ft. Riley 1855-1860.  He was recruited by Capt James T. Coffee of Greenfield, Mo. and apparently served his 5 years.  In 1861 he joined the Missouri State Guard as a drill master and served as Lt. Col. of Cavalry under Gen. Sterling Price.  He was commissioned by the Confederate Congress twice the second apparently after being wounded at Pea Ridge.  I can trace him through ORWR to November 20, 1864.  He did not return to Missouri following the War and there is anecdotal evidence he may have accompanied Shelby, Price etc. to Mexico.  Can anyone suggest a means of identifying his service at Ft. Riley and his presence in Mexico?  I have searched for this very elusive man for many years and would like to determine his date of death and burial.  

Posted: Fri Nov 12th, 2010 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

ASefton-

After poking around a bit on the Internet, the whereabouts of James Thaddeus Cearnal does not just jump out at me.

Apparently, he married one Mary Angeline McMillen around 1851. Apparently, she survived until October of 1914, and her obituary is published in the Dade County ADVOCATE. If you can find a copy of that newspaper, it might well tell you what happened to her husband after the war. You must be Amanda Sefton, so this possible source is already known to you.

There must be a way to secure a copy of this obituary. This paper apparently published under one name or another until at least 1981.

About this Newspaper: Dade County advocate. - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress

Perhaps the State Historical Society can help:

Dade County Newspapers - The State Historical Society of Missouri

Or perhaps the Dade County Historical Society:

Dade County Mo. Historical Society - Home

It is possible that Colonel Cearnal accompanied Shelby and Price to Mexico and became a resident in a Confederate colony, perhaps Carlota. Perhaps he is mentioned in one of the several publications about the Confederates in Mexico. Here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Cause-Confederate-Exodus-Mexico/dp/0806119616/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

And a bit of background:

Trivia on Civil War History: Confederate Descendants in Mexico Part 2 | Trivia Library

I haven't been able to learn where or when he died, but here is the gravesite of, I think, a relative- perhaps his son.

James R Cearnal (1854 - 1935) - Find A Grave Memorial

Perhaps the person who put this gravesite on the website knows more about him.

Assuming that he went to Mexico, its possible that Colonel Cearnal was able to return to the US. Apparently he didn't come back to Missouri, and if this is true, it lessens the possibility that he came back at all. There are death, property, and Census records that might help verify if he ever rejoined his wife Mary. If by chance he did return, he might have applied for a pension. Many of those who returned settled in Texas.

I am afraid that at this time, I can't answer the questions you are asking about what happened to Colonel Cearnal after 1864. I think that Dade County is the place to start looking. The widow's obituary might give you the answers, if you can find it. Good luck with your search.

Last edited on Fri Nov 12th, 2010 07:07 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Nov 12th, 2010 07:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ASefton

Mana: 

Thanks for answering...I own most of the books on the Shelby's time in Mexico and have used both the Advocate and Vedette newspapers extensively. Unhappily none have any mention of J.T.C.  My Dad, who was an excellent historian, remembered his grandfather, J.R. Cearnal becoming incensed when an old man from Dade Co. told him of seeing his father after war in Texas.  I have also pursued that avenue as far as possible. 

There is a new book on Gen. Shelby which I just finished.  It is by Anthony Arthur and titled General JO Shelby's March.  Very interesting and readable.

Posted: Fri Nov 12th, 2010 08:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

ASefton-

Its interesting that someone mentioned seeing Colonel J.T. Cearnal in Texas after the war. J.R. Cearnal (1854) was then your great grandfather. Do you know the names of all the children of Colonel J.T. Cearnal and his wife, Mary? I wonder if any of the children might have accompanied J.T. Cearnal on his possible trip to Mexico after the war.

Here is the gravesite of Dr. A.E. Cearnal in Brown County, Texas. He was born in 1856, which makes him the right age to possibly be the brother of J.R. Cearnal. Is there a possible connection?

Dr A E Cearnal (1856 - 1924) - Find A Grave Memorial

Last edited on Fri Nov 12th, 2010 08:32 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Nov 12th, 2010 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ASefton

Mana: 

J.T. and Mary Angeline had 2 children, Harriet Permelia b. 8 July 1852 in Dade Co., married Robert Archer and lived in Moran, KS. They had a large family.   James Robert  b. 16 Nov. 1856 married Sarah Cordelia Morris in Dade Co. and lived in Dade, Lawrence and Jasper Cos., Mo.  They had 9 children.  Mary Angeline lived with her children alternating every 6 months after the death of her brother and sister.  She apparently confided in my great uncle, Volney who never betrayed her secrets.  J.R. did tell a story of his father returning during the war (probably in 1863) when they were living with his grandfather, Robert D. McMillen.  According to this legend, J.T. and Mary met at the yard gate where they talked for two hours, after which J.T. rode off and was never heard from again.   There was also a photo of J.T. which survived into the 20th Century which was last in the hands of a cousin in Vinita, OK.  The Dr. A.E. Cearnal in Texas is known to be related.  J.T. had 2 sisters who both married Condrays in Anderson Co., TX.  J.T. was their guardian following the death of his father and probably misappropriated their inheritance to buy land in Dade Co.,which he lost in March 1856.  Again, thanks for answering....I have looked for this old bird for 50+years and continue to find info but never anything on his whereabouts after the CW.  The upside is I have learned a great deal about the War in the Trans-Mississippi Dept.

Amanda

Posted: Fri Nov 12th, 2010 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Amanda,

I can understand your frustration. Most people live their lives without regard for making it easy for future genealogists to track their movements.

My guess is that JTC went to Mexico and never made it back. He might have been killed by the Mexicans, or he might have died of natural causes. The former Confederates went from one place of turmoil to another, as you know.

Its sad that the odds are that you'll never know for sure what happened to him. But if I was in your place, I'd keep digging. You never know what might fall into your hands unexpectedly. Recently some letters written by my father before my time came into my possession. They had been held all these years by a very elderly relative who either forgot about them or thought them not important enough to tell me about.

Posted: Sat Nov 13th, 2010 12:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ASefton

Mana: 

Thank you....I continue to find "gems" from time to time, the information on his service in the U.S. Cavalry being the latest.

Posted: Sun Nov 14th, 2010 05:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
5fish

Mana: 

Do You think He returned to Texas????

[url=javascript:$Anc.load({type:'miniprofile',%20onSuccess:function(config){$MP.showMiniProfile(config);},ucdmid:'0015b072-0000-0000-0000-000000000000',contextType:3,contextValue:'ms%3dMB%253ambp%26uaction%3dmbp',id:'2d4f2131'});] asefton[/url] (View posts) Posted: 15 Nov 2000 5:23AM Classification: Surnames: My ancestor, James Thaddeus Cearnal migrated
to Texas with his mother and sisters prior from Southwest Missouri prior to the CW. He was a Lt. Colonel in Price's forces during the CW. According to family legend, he went
to Mexico with Price and Shelby before returning to Texas. He did not return to
his family in MO. Amanda

the Link....
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.cearnal/7.9/mb.ashx

Posted: Sun Nov 14th, 2010 05:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I think he died in 1866.....

Confederate colonels: a biographical register - Page 424Bruce S. Allardice - 2008 - 436 pages - Preview
1810–1861), 4th Cav., 8th Div., MSG Cearnal, James Thaddeus (c. 1829–c. 1866), 1st Cav., 5th Div., MSG Chastain, ... 1st GA State Guard Darden, Stephen Heard (1816–1902), 5th TX State Troops Davis, Charles Milton (1819–1902), ...
books.google.com

Here the link to the page no info on where or how he died...

http://books.google.com/books?id=r1E1FTjEfIkC&pg=PA424&dq=james+thaddeus+Cearnal+Texas&hl=en&ei=kyngTMvdPMP68AaO_vDuDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Maybe you can contact the writer of the book since it was printed in 2008 and se what info he has on James T. Cearnal....

Posted: Sun Nov 14th, 2010 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ASefton

Mana: 

According to several of J.T.'s grandsons, an old man once told their father (James R. Cearnal) his father survived the war and returned to Texas where he lived around Sherman.  I have never found any information which confirms this.  There is also some tie to a James Ventioner who wound up in Texas after the war.  The Ventioners lived in Dade Co. at one time.  Would appreciate any ideas you may have.....

Amanda

Posted: Sun Nov 14th, 2010 07:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ASefton

Mana: 

I have never been able to verify a death date....we know he was alive in Jan 1865 when he was appointed Provost Marshall of Center Point AR. (SW Arkansas, either Sevier or Howard Co.)  There is no creditable evidence past that point.  Attempts to contact the author of Confederate Colonel have been unsuccessful.

Posted: Mon Nov 15th, 2010 02:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I found this link to another family that intersects with James T Cearnal..It may be a lead...

http://thaxtongenealogy.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/sarah-cordelia-morris-cearnal-d-1928-jasper-co-mo/

Posted: Mon Nov 15th, 2010 11:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ASefton

Mana: 

Thank you...I have been in touch with this website in the past and have contributed some of the information which appears there.

Posted: Thu Nov 18th, 2010 04:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
5fish

Mana: 

ASefton, I think you are going to have to look around the edges to find the info on James Cearnal. I mean you are going to read books by people who served with him, or on the battle of Pea ridge, and hope they wrote something in passing about him about what happen to him after the war.

Like I learned that one of my great great uncles great grandchild was Joe Kennedy's doctor in West Palm Fl. in a travel book on Currituck County. The book mentioned that Walter Newburn was from Currituck county moved to West Palm Fl to practice medicine and became Joe Kennedy's doctor.  

Its another type of lead, Good Luck...

Posted: Thu Nov 18th, 2010 05:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ASefton

Mana: 

Thank you for answering.....I have tried to find writings by contemporaries but have only come up with a small amount.....Elijah Gates who served under him and a few others. I have worked from the "inside our and outside in".  I have recently decided to check neighbors from Dade Co. who wound up in TX both before and after the war.  After over 50 years looking for him, I have decided if I don't find his date/place of death within the next year I will call it a day.....again, thanks for your thoughts.

Posted: Thu Nov 18th, 2010 06:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
5fish

Mana: 

Here is something in Spanish....

La Guerra Civil Americana - 8ª Parte - I - [ Translate this page ]24 Nov 2009... dos batallones bajo los Tenientes Coroneles J. T. Cearnal y G. W. Riggins ... justo al Sur de la frontera de Tennessee, con operaciones ...
http://www.elgrancapitan.org/.../1326-la-guerra-civil-americana-8o-parte- - [url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TF4EnIi-CK0J:http://www.elgrancapitan.org/portal/index.php/articulos/historia-militar/1326-la-guerra-civil-americana-8o-parte-+J+T+cearnal+Tennessee&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a]Cached[/url] - [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=related:http://www.elgrancapitan.org/portal/index.php/articulos/historia-militar/1326-la-guerra-civil-americana-8o-parte-+J+T+cearnal+Tennessee&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=iYHlTKWPO8Xflgejg4GvCw&ved=0CCwQHzAD]Similar[/url]

La Guerra Civil Americana - 8ª Parte - I - [ Translate this page ]24 Nov 2009... bajo los Tenientes Coroneles J. T. Cearnal y G. W. Riggins y una compañía autónoma mandada por el más tarde famoso Capitán J. O. Shelby. ...
http://www.elgrancapitan.org/.../1326-la-guerra-civil-americana-8o-parte- - [url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TF4EnIi-CK0J:http://www.elgrancapitan.org/portal/index.php/articulos/historia-militar/1326-la-guerra-civil-americana-8o-parte-+J+T+cearnal+Arkansas&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a]Cached[/url] - [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=related:http://www.elgrancapitan.org/portal/index.php/articulos/historia-militar/1326-la-guerra-civil-americana-8o-parte-+J+T+cearnal+Arkansas&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=UILlTKqxEsP98Abso9yCDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQHzAE]Similar[/url]

Posted: Thu Nov 18th, 2010 07:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ASefton

Mana: 

This looks promising....have never had any Spanish translated, only German.  Thanks.

Current time is 04:39 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4244 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.