Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War Preservation > Why was the American Civil War such a bitter and brutal affair?

Why was the American Civil War such a bitter and brutal affair? - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 11th, 2010 03:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bearsmith

Mana: 

Why was the American Civil War such a bitter and brutal affair?

As in, what exactly made the American Civil War the bloodiest war in US history?

- so bloody that casualties in the American Civil War alone outnumber the total casualties and losses from all the other wars the United States participated in from the American Revolution all the way to the Vietnam War.

Please explain your answer in-depth, with relevant examples and support.

Thanks!
HCG Pro

Last edited on Mon Dec 13th, 2010 11:52 am by bearsmith

Posted: Sat Dec 11th, 2010 05:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

WOW!!....What a question!!

From a Southern soldier stanpoint, theire homes, in their opnion, were invaded. I won't quote a source, as I feel any basic research would show this. Hence, their ferocity in defense. Although, the Wester soldiers had the opinion that the war was lost long before the Eastern soldier held that opinion (which is justified by the success/failiures of the respective armies)..Additonally, there were more per capita casualties as technolgy, strategy, etc seprated this type of warefare from that of subsequant wars......For example, we've lost more lives at Gettysburg than we have in 9 years of war in Afghanistan and Iraq......Why??.....Difference in terain, strategy, technogy, etc. The same can be said for the Civil War vs WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam.......

Posted: Sun Dec 12th, 2010 01:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
HankC

Mana: 

Most textbooks correctly answer this question: the means of killing advanced faster then the military tactics.

If we took 10% casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, heads would roll and governments fall. Civil War armies frequently absorbed 30% casualties and they did this over and over.

Always keep in mind that 2/3 of the casualties were from disease and many more from poorly treated wounds...

Posted: Sun Dec 12th, 2010 04:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

The North had to build an army from scratch. The regular army at the start of the war was about 16,000 troops. Half of that force along with its best officers went south to join the Confederacy. There were a lot of political appointees getting generalships. They had to be weeded out over time/failures.

McClellan built the Army of the Potomac into a real fighting force....but he didn't know how to lead it in combat. Until Grant and Sherman advanced up the ladder into their positions the North was at a disadvantage in leadership. Then you have to consider while all this was going on that they were trying to subdue a very bitter and determined enemy that was fighting on its homeground. The war couldn't be fought any other way in subduing the southern states.

Posted: Mon Dec 13th, 2010 01:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

On the other hand, show me a war that was'nt brutal.....Regardless of technology, terrain, strategies, every war, within the context of it's own time frame, was brutal......ask any Vet.....After thinking about it, I can't say one war was more brutal than the other.....my opinion now is: the CW wasn't any better or worse than any other war......No book or reference to site, just the plain, accepted truth.....

Posted: Mon Dec 13th, 2010 11:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Mark

Mana: 

AS, read "The Civil War and the Limits of Destruction" by Mark Neely. It examines the exact question you are asking by comparing the Civil War to the Mexican War and the Indian Wars. Neely comes to the conclusion that the Civil War was actually less brutal than the American wars that immediately preceded and followed it. His explanation is that the Civil War was primarily fought by white protestants against white protestants and that the combatants accorded civility to their enemies that they did not to Mexican catholics and American Indians. I think he went a bit far (since I think that combatants in the Civil War felt much more deeply about the outcome Civil War than the others), but he does have a strong thesis. Hope that helps.

-Mark

Posted: Mon Dec 13th, 2010 01:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

As to brutal, "war is hell, and it can not be changed" to quote Sherman.  As to bitter when families are split on idelogy, politics, and personal honor how can it not be bitter?

If you are referring to total casualities, the sheer numbers involved, and as already stated the ability to injure had passed the ability to heal, and the food was bad sanitation was horrible. As stated allready as many deaths were caused by disease as by wounds. 

If you are referring to a specific incident of brutality the ACW was actually mild. There were no attempts to eliminate a race, or religion as in other military actions.  

Posted: Tue Dec 14th, 2010 12:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Mark, You make an excellent point, and well taken!!

That's why I said 'every war, within the context of it's own time frame, was brutal"....the Mexican War was brutal in it's time, the Indian Wars, WWI, etc were brutal in their times.....Shoot, how brutal was the Iraqi war, looking at it from the Iraqi standpoitn. Though I haven't studied it, the news reports at the time all talked about Iraqi divisions no longer existing. What they didn't say was: A) Did they surrender?, B) Did they all run away, or C) Were they wiped out?.....Whatever the answer is, I am failry certain they suffered heavy casualties......brutal.....

I like what you said: "the Civil War was actually less brutal than the American wars that immediately preceded and followed it."........It kind of goes along with my comment: "my opinion now is: the CW wasn't any better or worse than any other war"

Thanks for the post!!

Current time is 12:23 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War Preservation > Why was the American Civil War such a bitter and brutal affair?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1643 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.