Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

1861 Springfield Rifle - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I'm wanting to buy a '61 Springfield.  Are all of them made in Italy?  Are any made in the USA?  If Italy is my only option what company is best between Armi and the one that starts with a P?  What should I look for?  Any help will be very appreciated!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 27th, 2010 04:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Are you looking for a shooter, reenactment , or a wall hanger? I beleive all the new purchases are going to be built in Italy. For info on accuracy, historic correctness, ect. you may wish to check Authentic campaigner's previous posts. I think one was advertised there last week that had some original parts for $600.00 which is a really good price.

You may also want to check gunbroker.com for reproduction black powder. Since even the new arms are considered antiques and can be mailed to your doorsince you do not live in California or NY.

Posted: Mon Dec 27th, 2010 04:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Looking to have it as a shooter....possibly reenact also.  I'm expecting to spend between $600 to 700.  I was told that the quality of the Civil War rifles vary depending on price....is this true?  Thanks for the link I will check them out.  I bought an Enfield for reenactment purposes back in the late 1980's from a Civil War sutler.  Unfortunately I can't remember his name now.  I sold all my stuff when I got out of reenacting and I've regretted it ever since.

Posted: Mon Dec 27th, 2010 06:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

I am not familiar with the quality except what I have read. You may want to PM Yohan Steele as he shoots and reenacts. If you have a unit in mind the membership there woud be a good start.  North South skermish association may also have some good info on out of the box quality. If you are like me and want to see and handel  some arms depending on where in Indianna you live Falls Creek Sutler may be a chance to get your hands on some examples. Their address is deceptive so check the directions on their webb site.

Posted: Tue Dec 28th, 2010 03:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I've got an Amerisport (sic?) that I got about 4 years ago for $475 from James Country sutler (outta MO)......I am very happy with it!!

Posted: Wed Dec 29th, 2010 04:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I was able to locate my old reenactor unit the 14th Indiana and I believe Falls Creek Sutler was listed as their sutler they use. So I am going to follow up with them.

Thanks Al for the Amerisports info. I will keep that in mind.

Someone told me that the Italians make really good quality firearms. But they also build to the specs of the importer. So if the importer says this is our price point they do what they have to do to match that price. The guy that told me this could be full of it so I thought I'd bring it up on here.

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Hmmmm, BH....I don't know.....

I got my Springfield mainly to go to the 145th of Gettysburg; otherwise, I belong to an artillery unit, and only need it when we occasionally do infantry....For my purposes, it is a pretty good gun and marked decently.....If you know more about "de-farbed" rifles than I do (and I bet you do!) it's possible you'd look at mine and not like it. On the other hand, not being an expert myself, it may serve your needs......

Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 08:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Al...I'm sure you have a fine rifle. I had always assumed they were all of the same quality on specs whether they were an Enfield or Springfield reproduction. Then this "expert" told me they weren't. That they might chince on the finish etc to meet a price point set by the importer. I plan on using the rifle for live firing. I won't use it extensively but it would be neat to take it out and fire every now and then. I'm even considering doing the reenacting thing again. I'm going to check out your James Country sutler also.

Posted: Mon Oct 10th, 2011 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

just wanted to update this thread. I finally got a 1861 Springfield from Dixie Guns. Looks pretty cool...it is an Armi-Sports brand. I ended up spending $725 for it. Waiting on the minie balls now. I only have modern rifles experience when it comes to actual shooting. How do you know when the minie ball is seated in the powder properly? Information with rifle says don't pack it too tightly but make sure it's seated good.

Current time is 08:23 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.6018 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 26 queries executed.