Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

chickens - Food,Cooking and Gardening - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 21st, 2011 04:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I'm so glad I chose to raise egg laying chickens. They are wonderful! Easy to take care of and the eggs are delicious. The more they roam around my property and the more bugs they are able to eat, the better the eggs are.

Any others out there with feathered friends?

Posted: Mon Mar 21st, 2011 10:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

As a runner (I preface this a slow runner, my moniker is a turtle on my id necklace), eggs are a great source of protein. They received, unfortunately, a bad rap previosly. Easy breakfast before a run, hard boiled/fried/scrambled.

Doc Ce

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 02:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
9Bama

Mana: 

When we lived on our 4 acre "farm" my wife put her foot down at chickens.... I haven't forgiven her yet and that was 35 years ago! Chickens that eat bugs and run around gettin their feet dirty are way better than the ones that are forcefed growth hormones and have huge breasts with large fat deposits in places chickens ain't supposed to have fat..

And the eggs....
Doc is right, a dozen fried eggs, half a pound of good country sausage and some biskits n butter...now that's livin! :)

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 05:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Years ago we had some in about an acre of fenced area. Nothing better than a fresh egg compared to store bought.

My favorite breakfast drink: large glass of milk with 2 eggs and some vanilla extract. Mixed well or use food processor.. Umm, umm...

Posted: Wed Mar 23rd, 2011 04:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

We started out with 6 about 4 years ago. Lost 2 but the other 4 are still laying. You wouldn't think chickens would have personality but they do!

There is a HUGE difference between store bought and the fresh ones we get. The yolk is darker, more flavorful. Plus it's a great way to get the kids involved with "farm" life.

Posted: Wed Mar 23rd, 2011 06:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

As someone has said - hens are the smartest animal, they only crow when they've laid an egg.

Current time is 12:09 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3172 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.