Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Help on Bowie Knife - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 03:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Bamanut

Mana: 

Attachment: Bowie1.jpg (Downloaded 62 times)

Last edited on Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 07:39 pm by Bamanut

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 03:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Bamanut

Mana: 

another

Attachment: Bowie3.jpg (Downloaded 58 times)

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 03:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Bamanut

Mana: 

another

Attachment: Bowie4.jpg (Downloaded 58 times)

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 03:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Bamanut

Mana: 

another

Attachment: Bowie6.jpg (Downloaded 58 times)

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 03:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Bamanut

Mana: 

another

Attachment: Bowie7.jpg (Downloaded 56 times)

Posted: Tue Mar 22nd, 2011 03:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Bamanut

Mana: 

last pic

Attachment: Bowine5.jpg (Downloaded 56 times)

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 08:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Pvt 13th US Inf Co D

Mana: 

Looks to me like a manufactures name to me. W. Glaze & Co? Columbus, OH?? or somewhere down South. I would go for the latter, because I don't think they were making Bowie knives in the North were they?

That's my 2 cents.

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Aficianados of knives might like to read more here:

History of the Bowie Knife - History of Bowie Knife

As for the knife pictured- I know nothing of W. Glaze (Or: "Claze") and Co. But to me it reads, : "Columbia, SC."

On the subject of Columbia, this might interest some:

THE BURNING OF COLUMBIA FROM THE UNION AND CONFEDERATE PERSPECTIVES – October

Last edited on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 10:42 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

TD. I think you may be right on Columbia, SC.  I've been doing a web search for W. Claze & Co. and W. Glaze & Co. and so far I've got a hit from a page on an Americn Firearms webpage for a William Glaze & Co. Not much info on the page, just a few picture links of a Model 1842 Palmetto Armory pistol manufactured between 1852 and 1853. But it does list the company as existing as early as 1850.

http://www.american-firearms.com/american-firearms/z-html/company-W/William%20Glaze%20&%20Co/William%20Glaze%20&%20Co.html

I'll do a little more searching on this and see if I can't get more. May edit or do a new post depending on how many posts there are before I can get anything. If I do.

Edit:

Okay, this may be of some help.

Palmetto Armory (William Glaze & Co), Columbia, South Carolina

"On April 15, 1851, the State of South Carolina awarded Benjamin Flag of Millbury, Mass. and William Glaze, owner of the Palmetto Armory, Columbia, a sizable contract for muskets, rifles and pistols. One thousand sabres and one thousand artillery swords were included; "all arms to be made within the confines of the State of South Carolina." Later the contract was amended to delete the artillery swords and adding an additional one thousand cavalry sabres with scabbards. These were made at the Palmetto Armory and were identical to the US, Model-1840. All were stamped on the reverse ricasso "Columbia, S.C. " and some few "Wm. Glaze & Co." on the obverse. Confederate Handguns raises a question as to whether those sabers stamped "Columbia, S.C." are in fact the product of the Palmetto Armory? The answer to this is a definite "yes"" Comparison between those that also include the name of the maker "Wm. Glaze & Co." reveal that the "Columbia, S.C." is struck with the same die on both. An additional question also raised by Confederate Handguns is whether the sabre contract was ever fulfilled? The survival ratio strongly suggests that it was."

I got it off http://www.civilwarartillery.com/confederate_manufactures.htm

Edit 2:

Shouldn't be so fast to hit enter on Edits. From this site, http://www.angelfire.com/wa/swordcollector/marks/page1.html, I found:
William Glaze
William Glaze was an agent for the Ames company until 1851, when he started the Palmetto armory in state of South Carolina. He produced 2000 M1840 cavalry sabers and 526 light artillery sabers in 1852. Although these were all used by the Confederacy during the war, it’s important to note that these were all regulation US models made nine years before the war, and in no way should have the letters CSA on them. Most cavalry sabers are marked “Columbia, S.C.” on one side, and some have Wm. Glaze & Co on the other side of the ricasso. The marks on the artillery sabers are unknown. These are often treated as Confederate weapons by collectors, and rightly so since they were made for the state of South Carolina, so they will certainly be found at a much higher price than sabers by other manufacturers.

And then there's this site, http://www.damonmills.com/images/PS%2021/palmetto_pistol_12-06.htm. The little info it offers is interesting as it says that William Glaze & Co. caused a bit of controversy for using condemend barrels and parts.

You also have this page, http://antiquearmsinc.com/palmetto-confederate-musket.htm, talking about a 1842 Palmetto Musket. Couple paragraphs make mention of Glave

This musket was built by William Glaze of the Palmetto Armory in Columbia, SC for the state of South Carolina in the early 1850's in anticipation of War with the North.  However, when a compromise in congress was reached over slavery issues, War was delayed for about another 10 years. Given the foresight, one could say these were the first Confederate weapons. Glaze's contract with South Carolina called for 1,000 Percussion Rifles, 6,000 Percussion Muskets, 1000 Dragoon Pistols, 2000 DragoonSabers, and 526 Artillery sabers. When war finally came a few years later in the Spring of 1861, these muskets were quickly pressed into service.  Furthermore, during the first weeks of the War, Glaze converted about 3700 of his originally smooth-bored 1842 Muskets he built in 1852 to rifles by boring them with 3 groove rifling and adding a fixed rear sight.  It is documented that Sherman's Army destroyed 1,740 .69 Caliber Muskets on February 17, 1865 after capturing the Old Citadel Arsenal in Columbia.  Some of which were certainly Palmetto muskets.  Today, these Palmetto muskets are quite rare and like all Confederate weapons, quite valuable!  

Details:  Overall, this gun has an even brown patina with generally smooth metal and a few areas of scattered pits...mainly around the bolster and a small spot towards the front of the barrel.  There is a small dovetail groove for a rear sight between the breech and the rear brass barrel band...this may have been one of the 3700 Palmetto 1852-dated muskets converted to rifles in April 1861....originally, these were rifled with 3 shallow grooves, however after being used as a shotgun for many years, we do not see any rifling left.  The lockplate is marked with the traditional South Carolina Palmetto Tree symbol.  You can clearly see the word "Palmetto" to the left side of the tree....the word "Armory" which should be on the right side is all but gone with just traces of letters remaining.  The "S*C" underneath the tree is partially visible.  It appears the right side of this group of markings was never deeply struck. The rear of the lock is nicely marked "COLUMBIA" over "S.C. 1852".  The left side of the barrel is marked with the letters "V", "P", a small Palmetto Tree sybol, and "W.G & CO"...which stands for William Glaze & Company.  I cannot make out any letters or words on the top tang due to scattered pitting.  The top of the buttplate is clearly marked "SC".  Lock still works nicely.  Rear swivel is present but bent.  Stock is in good condition overall...uncleaned with a nice patina.  There is a hairline crack running down part of the ramrod channel behind the rear band...easily fixed...otherwise the wood is quite solid.  The wood is cut about 3-4" ahead of the rear band....the original rear brass band and its spring are completely intact.  Its missing the front two brass bands.  Barrel was cut at about 33".  About 5-6" back of the muzzle is a patch of pitting with a small crack in the barrel.  There is a perfect solution for the repair and salvaging this barrel without having to replace it.  Call me for details.  The wood can also easily be mended.  That leaves the two front bands...again, there are several options here as well including original parts or modern replacements....Call me for details!  Finally, we found this gun without a ramrod but we have located an original Model 1842 Ramrod that matches this rifle perfectly....only its been cut to 29"...this can easily be restored back to the original length.  Again, this is a project and its going to require work on your part to reap the rewards.  Today, many of us can no longer afford to spend $10,000 for a nicer Confederate weapon like a Palmetto.  Here is one for a quarter of the price that needs some TLC.  In the end, you will have restored a rare Confederate musket back to its original war-time configuration and improved its value significantly. Furthermore, with some research on WA Stafford, this may well improve its value significantly more.

And coming from the Sprinfield Armory Museum's records is this page http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=/spring/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=9815,DATABASE=objects,.c Nothing about Bowie knives, but it is interesting info about the company. Also a bit of insight from Glaze himself on Sherman's activities in Columbia.

Last edited on Sat Feb 18th, 2012 12:15 am by Hellcat

Posted: Sat Feb 18th, 2012 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Pvt 13th US Inf Co D

Mana: 

It looked like Columbus to me, sorry guys

Posted: Sat Feb 18th, 2012 09:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Here is more on William Glaze and the Armory:

Amazon.com: William Glaze and the Palmetto Armory (Museum bulletin / South Car

It will probably be next to impossible to find this small publication, but those with Kindle have a leg up.

And from the National Register:

SCDAH

Last edited on Sat Feb 18th, 2012 09:47 pm by Texas Defender

Current time is 05:04 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1829 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.