Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Long time viewer, recent member - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun May 29th, 2011 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Edmund Ruffin

Mana: 

Hello all.
Ive been interested in the civil war since I was a boy.

Live in Liverpool England. Used to be a re-enactor for many years. One of the first members of the ACWsociety of North west England when it started in 1975(ish?) now called The American Civil war society.

Gave it up a number of years ago due to pressure of work, shifts etc. and now age is getting the better ofme, my knees are rickety and not up to it !

Keen wargamer 15mm ACW being one of my main interests usig Johnny Reb and similar rules. Two huge armies based on both sides on the first day of gettysburg. YES you read it right, I do have four divisions of the Army of Northern Virginia and Two Union Corp. At an average of 20 to 25 figures per regiment Ill let you do the maths to work out how many figures I have painted. From that it is a relatively simple equation to work out how head slapping crazy I am !!

My other joy is 1/6th scale figure collecting and creation, WWII and ACW, most of the latter I have put together from scratch, with bits and pieces from various kit manufacturers. OnceI figure out how I will post some photos.

I have visited quite a number of the civil war battlefields but my passion has always been for gettysburg and have spent days and days wandering the place.

Thats enough for now, I'll get to know you all better as time goes on Im sure.

Why Edmund Ruffin as my tag? He wasthe man who asserted that he firedthe first shot at Fort Sumter.

Posted: Mon May 30th, 2011 01:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Welcome Edmund

Interesting moniker, I'm a descendent of Ruffin.

Doc C

Posted: Mon May 30th, 2011 02:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Welcome Edmund! Its exciting to see another Johnny Reb gamer here! You have quite a few more troops than I do. I'm almost done with a division for each side. That's about all my kitchen table can handle at the moment. Again, welcome!

V/R

Mark

Posted: Mon May 30th, 2011 03:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Welcome, Edmund!! I also play Johnny Reb III.....I have 3 Conf. Divisions, 15mm....However, I have 16 figures per Regiment (4 stands with 4 figures per stand), 4 Regiments per Brigade, 4 to 5 brigades per Division. I also have approximately 2 Batterys per brigade, and a Brigade of Cav.....Also have supply wagons, cassions, Divison/Corp?Army command....Me, my wife & son have built houses & buildings, fences & roads for our 9x5 ft. game table.....We wouldn't mind sharing scenarios/ideas!!!

I am also a renactor with a Conf. Artillery Unit (Scott's TN Battery....http://www.scottsbattery.org).

Nice to meet ya & hope to learn from ya!!!

Posted: Mon May 30th, 2011 12:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Edmund Ruffin

Mana: 

Thanks all for the hello

Mark wrote:
Welcome Edmund! Its exciting to see another Johnny Reb gamer here! You have quite a few more troops than I do. I'm almost done with a division for each side. That's about all my kitchen table can handle at the moment. Again, welcome!

V/R

Mark

I pursuaded the club I attend to do a first day at gettysburg demonstration game at a show some years ago. The table, needless to say, was huge and to best cope with being able to move figures and to include the important areas of the field, was cross shaped with the top "spoke" offset to the left to include oak hill and the gap in the federal line. Four of us provided the figures, myself providing the bulk with Buffords Cavalry, 1st Corp and the two divisions of Hills corp that fought, all the terrain and the "icon" buildings such as the seminary which I scratch built. We used simplfied Johnny Reb II rules (I still prefer them), simplified so that we could better represent incidents and actions in real time. We had a preprepared hourly notice board so that people could see where the battle had reached at any time of day.

Needless to say, because we had built in key features of the battle- the gap between the two corp, rubbish moral for 11th Corp etc., despite my best efforts the outcome was markedly similar to the real thing.

Since then, because two of the original players no longer game, I have put together all of the units (plus a comparable sized Confederate cavalry unit to Bufords) so that I can put the game on in future without having to rely on anyone else other than to play(if I can find somewhere with big enough tables !). Obviously it also means that I can mix and match for all kind of scenarios and units big and small and with the reb cavalry added, actions at Culpepper and the like are feasible.

I've just retired and having inherited a big house intend to have a dedicated wargames room that will be able to handled pretty big games (still not on the size of Gettysburg though!!)....thats once I have done all the other jobs my wife wants doing !

Current time is 09:09 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1580 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 25 queries executed.