Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Davis' eye problem - Jefferson Davis - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 1st, 2011 05:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
PW Hess

Mana: 

So recently I was in Richmond and visited the excellent Museum Of The Confederacy and the Confederate White House.

Now I had always thought Davis was blind in one eye, but the tour guide at the CWH set the record straight for me.

Seems Jeff did have an eye problem, not blindness. So once a day his wife Varina got a eyedropper, filled it with a mixture of mercury and ammonia(!!), and dripped it into Davis' eye! The guide said Jeff would have to lie down and then suffer a serious headache for several hours!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Talk about pain..........:(

Posted: Fri Jun 3rd, 2011 05:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Mercury and ammonia? Are they absolutely sure he wasn't blind in that eye? I mean the cure to me sounds like it would have induced blindness. Wonder what he died of. Also wonder how much mercury gets into your system before you get mercury poisoning. Although I don't entirely understand how eye drops work (ie whether or not they don't partially seap into your body somehow), I'd have thought a little mercury might have run down his face and maybe gotten into his mouth where he would have swallowed it whether he intended to or not.

Posted: Fri Jun 3rd, 2011 10:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
PW Hess

Mana: 

Davis was vacationing in Maine in the 1850's when his eye problem developed
I dont know the clinical name for it
I always thought he was blind, until the guide told me different
The mercury/ammonia mix really threw me

Posted: Sat Jun 4th, 2011 05:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I mentioned this to someone and they said they'd read mercury had been used for this purpose either as far back as the Renissance or the Middle Ages.

I don't know though, just seems shocking that Davis lived as long as he did with this kind of "medicine." Again I don't know exactly how much mercury has to build up in the system before you suffer mercury posioning. But I'd figure at least some of the mercury after each treatment would have gone down his face and into his mouth And he died in 1889 Was he taking these drops every day for the rest of his life after his eye problem began? It's just really weird to me anyone could live that long with this kinda of treatment. But then we know things they didn't about some of the things that they used a good deal and we tend to stay away from it in certain forms.

Posted: Sun Jun 12th, 2011 11:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

He probably was not blind but I believe he couldn't see!

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2013 02:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Mr. Davis' eye problem became severe in 1851 and plagued him for the rest of his life. Doctors nowadays believe that the problem was a herpes simplex infection of the cornea of the left eye, which is known as herpetic keratitis.

Apparently, there is a connection between this viral condition and malaria, which Mr. Davis had had before, and apparently had again in 1851. He reported redness, a tearing sensation, and decreased vision. The condition can, and apparently did, recur from time to time.

What is Herpes Keratitis? - Eye M.D.-approved information from EyeSmart

His condition might have advanced to metaherpic keratoiritis, which involves a disintegration of the cornea and the protrusion of a membrane forward due to the pressure within the eye. Apparently, Mr. Davis saw little out of his left eye in his later years.

Last edited on Wed Feb 20th, 2013 02:43 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Mon Apr 8th, 2013 01:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
PW Hess

Mana: 

Thank you TexasDefender!!

Current time is 01:37 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3850 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 25 queries executed.