Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

A.P. HILLS LIGHT DIVISION - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 2nd, 2011 02:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
61st Post
pender

Mana: 

sgtredleg, I found this link on the 35th GA. troops you may be interested in. The 35th at Gettysburg.  http://www.chrisanddavid.com/georgia/gettysburg.html

Pender

Last edited on Sun Oct 2nd, 2011 02:13 pm by pender

Posted: Thu Oct 6th, 2011 04:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
62nd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Pender, You asked about stone markers and these are the only ones I have seen.  I stopped by there again yesterday on the way back from Manassas to get a few more pics.
This will probably take care of my trips to Cedar Mountain unless you find your way here to visit.

Posted: Thu Oct 6th, 2011 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
63rd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

This pic is taken looking North down the road where the Pennsylvania Cavalry made their charge.  The wheat field would be on the left.

Posted: Sun Oct 9th, 2011 02:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
64th Post
pender

Mana: 

Old Blu, Thanks for the photo's. I was reading over some regimental histories of the N.C. troops at Cedar Mt. To be honest they don't say a whole lot about it. Maybe a sentence or two. Have Pender's offical report on the battle. Seems they would of said more considering their role in the battle. But I guess since most were written in the late 1800's and early 1900's, Cedar Mt. fell in the shadow of the more major battles. Does the 52nd's Virginia history have much to say on the battle?

Thank's again, Pender

Posted: Sun Oct 9th, 2011 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
65th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

pender wrote: Old Blu, Thanks for the photo's. I was reading over some regimental histories of the N.C. troops at Cedar Mt. To be honest they don't say a whole lot about it. Maybe a sentence or two. Have Pender's offical report on the battle. Seems they would of said more considering their role in the battle. But I guess since most were written in the late 1800's and early 1900's, Cedar Mt. fell in the shadow of the more major battles. Does the 52nd's Virginia history have much to say on the battle?

Thank's again, Pender
Pender, the only thing I find about the 52nd is the fact they were in Early's brigade.  They get no accolades about anything!  Ha.)))(

Posted: Sun Oct 9th, 2011 06:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
66th Post
pender

Mana: 

Old Blu, Have you seen thishttp://www.amazon.com/52nd-virginia-histories/dp/093091922x

Pender

Posted: Sun Oct 9th, 2011 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
67th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

pender wrote: Old Blu, Have you seen thishttp://www.amazon.com/52nd-virginia-histories/dp/093091922x

Pender

Yep, I sure have.  That is what started all this. I new where my G-Grand was buried but there was no stone. Taking the name and doing some search, I had enough information to put up a stone.  October 16th, 2010, the UDC held a service for him.  It was nicely done. There were roughly 100 people there for this service being family and friends.

In the family book, it was all screwed up and said his name was William C.  Searched that out and one thing led to another.  But I am still taking pictures of the battle sites that the 52nd fought in for making a picture presentation.  Been a job but fun.

Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2011 12:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
68th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

My dad passed away when i was 8 but i remember him telling us stories about his grandfather ( my dad was born in 36) from what i recall he was one of the first volunteers for the 13th sc and fought through until second manasas where he was mortally wounded. If i recall correctly his name was William Miller and lived outside spartanburg Sc. I also had a GG grandfather from my mothers side that was captured during pickett's charge. i dont know anything about him except that he was a siminole indian, does anyone know of a unit that recruited seminole indians from flordia? I would greatly appreciate any insight you have.

Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2011 10:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
69th Post
pender

Mana: 

csamillerp, The 13th S.C. was a fine regiment in the Light Division. The Three Floridia regiments at Gettysburg was the 2nd,5th and the 8th. 3rd Corp. Anderson's Division, Perry's Brigade. I think Lang was in charge of them. I would suggest you look in to them to find the answer to your question.

Pender

Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2011 10:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
70th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

csamillerp wrote: My dad passed away when i was 8 but i remember him telling us stories about his grandfather ( my dad was born in 36) from what i recall he was one of the first volunteers for the 13th sc and fought through until second manasas where he was mortally wounded. If i recall correctly his name was William Miller and lived outside spartanburg Sc. I also had a GG grandfather from my mothers side that was captured during pickett's charge. i dont know anything about him except that he was a siminole indian, does anyone know of a unit that recruited seminole indians from flordia? I would greatly appreciate any insight you have.
CSA, you can find a great deal of info in the search engine by putting in 'Seminoles in the Civil War'.  Or "Confederate Seminoles".

Posted: Wed Nov 2nd, 2011 02:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
71st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

thank you pender and old blu i will check it out.

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2012 08:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
72nd Post
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

pender wrote:
Gentlemen, Since I brought up Georgia. I would like to ask a question? As all know when A.P.Hill was promoted at the death of Stonewall Jackson, William D. Pender was to receive Hills old post as division commander of the Light Division. But at Gettysburg Pender received a mortal wound. He died shortly there after, Cadmus M. Wilcox got command of the Light Division. Now nothing against Wilcox I personally like him. But in IMO I think Edward L. Thomas should have received command of the Light Division. He had been with the Light Division since he replaced Joseph R. Anderson. Anderson had returned to Richmond to run the Tredegar Iorn Works. Thomas remained with the Light Division till Appomattox as the Brigade commander of the Georgia brigade of the Light Division. Some feel as if Thomas did not receive the Light Division command due to the fact that there was two N.C. brigade's. Wilcox was born in N.C. but moved to Tennessee when he was two. I think it was a mistake not putting Thomas as the Light Division's commander. Who do you all think should have been given the Light Division after Pender's death.

Pender  

Hey all,
I've had my curiosity piqued since reading this post. In my research I have always viewed Brigadier Gen. E. Thomas as a solid commander and found no reason that he should not have been promoted when the ANV lost Major Gen. Pender.
Over the last several weeks I've been reading Douglas S. Freemans 3 vol. set of Lee's Lieutenants. I find it an excellent resource for garnering details of the command and overall actions of the ANV.
After Gettysburg, one analysis concerning the consideration of Gen. Penders replacement caught my attention.
General Lee apparently thought Gen. Thomas was a fully capable officer, apparently ready for Division command. However, " as he commanded the Georgia unit in a Division that included two North Carolina Brigades and one South Carolina Brigade, his advancement, said Lee, might "create dissatisfaction." ( pg. 201 Vol. 3, Lee's Lieutenants, D. S. Freeman ).
I too, admire Gen Cadmus Wilcox and believed he achieved much in his various commands. But it appears that it was politics more than anything that kept Gen. Thomas from advancement.

:?

Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2012 02:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
73rd Post
pender

Mana: 

sgtredleg, I also agree that politics more than anything kept Gen. Thomas from command of the Light Division. As said above, Wilcox was a good commander and did deserve promotion. In my personal opinion though I believe Lee should have promoted a Light Division officer. I think Thomas would have been a perfect fit for the job. There was great pride in being with a Brigade or Division for so long, I believe Thomas would of kept the pride of the Light Division a little stronger, than what Wilcox did, being new to the command.

Pender

Current time is 04:24 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3933 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 30 queries executed.