Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What CW books need to be written? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 7th, 2011 08:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Folks,

I've actually wanted to start this thread for quite some time, but never did. We all know that there have been literally thousands of books written about the war, the battles and the people involved. Can you think of any that still need to written?

I've had one stuck in my craw for some time, and the subject was recently brought up in another thread so I thought this would be a good time. The book I'd like to see written (and actually would like to write myself) would be a good biography of John Floyd. It amazes me that no really good book exists on the man which really explores his tenure as Gov. of Va., and Sec. of War. With all the unanswered questions about his actions as Sec. of War, I'm surprised no one has taken it on. Seems to me to be it would be a juicy tome.

As much as I may admire Lincoln, I could do without yet another book on him for the next 10 or 20 years. So how about you - what subjects need a new book?

Posted: Fri Jul 8th, 2011 06:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I think you've already pushed the book without maybe realizing it, javal. The last writing contest you just held, lesser known battles. Seems to me most of the books that aren't about individuals or the war as a whole are about major battles and most folks don't realize how important some of the lesser battles can be. I've recently seen someone dismissing the lesser battles as such. I think a lot of folks could stand to learn more about them.

Also maybe a book about the Hunley and the Alligator. I know there were other subs involved in the war, mostly on the Southern side. But right now I can only think of these two actually being confirmed as having undertaken missions. Certainly they seem the most famous for their sides, and the Alligator is less known than the Hunley. Maybe a book discussing just these two and comparing and contrasting them. There's already several on just the Hunley.

Posted: Fri Jul 8th, 2011 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

There is a biography of John B. Floyd that was pubished in 2002.

Amazon.com: Brand of Infamy: A Biography of John Buchanan Floyd (9780313321337): Charles Pinnegar: Books

It seems to have an astronomical pricetag, but apparently it can be read on line. I've never seen it, so I have no idea if it is among the good, the bad, or the ugly.

Posted: Fri Jul 8th, 2011 09:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Thanks TD, I was unaware of that book. Seems it's available, of all places, through Walmart.com, for $96.00. That's still almost 50 cents a page. I'm gonna dig and see what I can find out about the author. Will also check inter-library sources and see if I can find it. So I'll rephrase my wish and say I'd like to see a reasonably priced biography of Floyd ;)

Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2011 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

At 296 pages that's still awfully expensive for such a recent book. His other book on Amazon, Virginia and State Rights, 1750-1861: The Genesis and Promotion of a Doctrine, is twelve pages shorter and it's running for $49.95. I'm wondering if the difference isn't because of the publisher as their both by different publishers, though the Virginia one is supposed to be paperback and paperbacks are usually cheaper than hardcovers. Still, those prices do seem a little steep for how long the books are.

Edit: Correction, the Virginia book is 28 pages more for less money.

Last edited on Sat Jul 9th, 2011 02:09 am by Hellcat

Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2011 05:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, this might be some help. Turns  out according to this site, http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/VALib/v48_n3/reviews.html, that Mr. Pinnegar is a retired high school math and computer scinces teacher from Canada. That's a starting point on knowing a little more about the author. But according to this the book should be closer to $65 dollars, which is the best I've come across thus far. And it's 235 pages plus 13 of introduction and such. Still sounds a bit steep, but if I were going to buy the book I'd much rather pay $64.95 rather than $96 or a little over $306.

Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2011 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

You know strange as it seems, there is a real paucity of information and the lack of a good in depth biography of Abner Doubleday.

Posted: Mon Jul 11th, 2011 02:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

How about a book on Confederate General William Hicks Jackson?

Posted: Wed Jul 13th, 2011 08:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
PW Hess

Mana: 

How about a book on Hannibal Hamlin??

Posted: Fri Jul 15th, 2011 01:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Meteorology fascinates me. I would like to see a book on how weather impacted Civil War operations. Just one example of many that come to mind--the days-long torrential rains that plagued Lee's retreat and Meade's pursuit of Lee after the Battle of Gettysburg.

Recently lightning hit a tent occupied by Civil War reenactors near Gettysburg. I have often wondered how many times lightening struck Civil War combatants and horses or mules.

Another factor was heat in summer operations. Many men fell by the wayside, victims of heat exhaustion, even heat stroke. Some died from excessive heat and over- exertion in the heat on marches and during extended battles.

I would love to see an expert in the weather of the mid-1860s who is also an expert on the Civil War write about hurricanes, floods, heat, drought,lightening, freezing cold, ice storms, mud, hail and so on and how each of these may have been the determining factor in victory or defeat. Also, how many men were lost because of constant exposure to the harsh elements.

Posted: Fri Jul 15th, 2011 01:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Another topic: Post tramatic stress syndrome during and after the Civil War. This would take lenghthy intensive research. Because this problem did not have a name then and was not recognized it would be extremely difficult to identify its victims. It woud require studying veterans' records to try to determine incidents of alcoholisn, drug abuse, homelessness, even criminality among post war participants. I know it would be nearly impossible.

However, I do wonder how Civil War vets compare with our own from Viet Nam to the present. I have read that there is a high incidence of brain trauma in our vets in Middle Eastern conflicts from the concussion of road side bombs. I would like to know if the constant sonic pounding Civil War artillerymen experienced had a similar impact on their brains.

I am also very interested in someone studying the nature of cowardice in the Civil War. I certainly understand cowardice and fully appreciate the urge to flee from a horrific battle or try not to go into battle at all.

A book about how the culture of the mid-1860s dealt with what they called cowardice and why it was so shameful plus all its related ramifications would be enlightening.

Back to the original idea, could many of the so-called Civil War cowards really have been victims of post tramatic stress syndrome?

Posted: Fri Jul 15th, 2011 01:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

How about a book on Union Brevet Major General Jefferson C. Davis? He was kind of a scoundrel--or was he just "misunderstood"?

How about a book on the great Union Quartermaster General Montgomery Meigs?

How about a book on the Union Signal Corps? Did the Confederates have an equivalent? How did it compare?

I would like to see a really comprehensive book on both maritime and riverine naval operations for both Union and Confederate navies. This book also will have to have pictures of the ships, the officers,Secretaries of the Navy of each side, maps of the Union coastal blockade of the South and various important battles.

That might have to be in two volumes, one for maritime and one for riverine ops.

Last edited on Fri Jul 15th, 2011 01:46 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Jul 15th, 2011 11:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
PW Hess

Mana: 

How about a book on the poor soldiers who came back addicted to morphine and laudenum(sic) after being injured fighting in the war?

Posted: Fri Jul 15th, 2011 01:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

How about a book on the "War Democrats?"

Posted: Thu Aug 4th, 2011 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

I've been reading a bit about the Grand Review of the Armies, which occurred on May 23rd and 24th, 1865.  Does anybody know of a book which give great details as to the parade?  I know that Sherman wanted the western soldiers to outshine the Army of the Potomac and that Grant sat with President Johnson on the reviewing stand, but is there more information out there as to this great event?

Current time is 06:20 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3996 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 26 queries executed.