Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Tidbits from Gettysburg - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 18th, 2011 06:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
norbay1
Norbay1

Mana: 

John L. Burns, “The Old Hero of Gettysburg”

He was an old regular 70 something soldier who had served in the Florida war.

Sergeant George Eustice, of Company F, 7th Wisconsin Volunteers, in a letter from Gilroy, Santa Clara County, California, gives this account of John Burn’s action in the ranks of that regiment:

“It must have been about noon when I saw a little old man coming up on the rear of Company F. In regard to the peculiarities of his dress, I remember he wore a swallow-tailed coat with smooth brass buttons. He had a rifle on his shoulder. We boys began to poke fun at him as soon as he came amongst us, as we thought no civilian in his senses would show himself in such a place. Finding that he has really come to fight I wanted to put a cartridge-box on him to make him look like a soldier, telling him he could not fight without one. Slapping his pantaloons-pocket, he replied, ” I can get my hands in here quicker than a box. I’m not used to them new fangled things.” In answer to the question what possessed him to come out there at such a time, he replied that the rebels had either driven away or milked his cows, and that he was going to be even with them. About this time the enemy began to advance. Bullets were flying thicker and faster, and we hugged the ground about as close as we could. Burns got behind a tree and surprised us all by not taking a double-quick to the rear. He was as calm and collected as any veteran on the ground. We soon had orders to get up and move about a hundred yards to the right, when we were engaged in one of the most stubborn contests I ever experienced. Foot by foot we were driven back to a point near the seminary, where we made a stand, but were finally driven through the town to Cemetery Ridge. I never saw John Burns after our movement to the right, when we left him behind his tree, and only know that he was true blue and grit to the backbone, and fought until he was three times wounded.

Last edited on Mon Jul 18th, 2011 06:43 am by norbay1

Current time is 12:21 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2833 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.