Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Fresh Fish - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 29th, 2011 06:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
rebelnc1987
Transplanted Tar Heel

Mana: 

Hello all,

My name is Mark, I live in Pennsylvania, about a half hour from Gettysburg. I've been studying the Civil War since I was taken to Gettysburg around the age of 3- one of my earliest memories is asking my Dad when we could go and see General Lee again. I studied history in college and in the last year have become interested in geneaology. This led me to be interested specifically in North Carolina and it's contributions to the war- much of my paternal grandfather's family hails from Union and Stanly counties in the middle south of the state.

I have discovered ancestors who have served in both the west and the east. I've been lurking for some time on this forum, brought here by the daily news on this site and decided to say hello to all! I must say there are many people here who have greater knowledge than I do and I wanted to say thank you for helping me learn about new aspects of the war.

A majority of my family served in the Branch/Lane brigade (18th, 28th, and 37th regiments) but on my maternal grandfather's side of the family I have the pride of having at least two close relatives who served the Union- in the 1st CT HA and the 12th Rhode Island. I am currently serving in the 1st PA Bucktails reenacting group and have been talking to the 28th NC reenacting group to work out getting involved with them.

It is my dream to one day be able to move to Union or Stanly county and stay, in the same place as my ancestors.

Other Confederate ancestors served in the 5th, 8th, 27th, 55th, 53rd, 42nd, 43rd, 32nd, 15th, 14th, 8th partisan rangers, 26th and 52nd North Carolinas. I also have more distand relatives who served in the 14th TN, 2nd Florida, 5th Florida, 6th Alabama, 8th Virginia and as partisans in Tennessee. (Jack Hinson the sniper is my 1st cousin 6 times removed)

Thanks again to all you Civil War nuts out there who give me a place to talk about all these things that most of my friends and family just shake their head at! God Bless to all.

Mark Hinson

Posted: Sat Jul 30th, 2011 02:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Who was the Alabama relative?

Posted: Sat Jul 30th, 2011 12:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
rebelnc1987
Transplanted Tar Heel

Mana: 

Hi Hellcat,

My ancestor in Alabama was 1st Lieutenant Joseph L Hinson Old Company E New Company M 6th Alabama Infantry- wounded at Winchester in September 1864.

Last edited on Sat Jul 30th, 2011 12:18 pm by rebelnc1987

Posted: Sat Jul 30th, 2011 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

You got his records? Anything about a Cold Creek? And I'm not sure if I mean Cold Harbor or if it's an entirely different battle.

Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 02:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
rebelnc1987
Transplanted Tar Heel

Mana: 

Hellcat,

Not sure about Cold Creek, but he was definitely present as the company commander for Cold Harbor in June 1864.

Current time is 04:22 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1509 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 24 queries executed.